Re: Galaxy Note 4 Android 5.1.1 Update - VZW FAIL
Miller6386
Contributor - Level 1

Something else everyone here should remember is we are not entitled to any updates after the initial release that comes with the phone. Who else in this world offers free updates to software versions like that?? Microsoft went years and years without giving any discount or free upgrades for windows... Samsung and Verizon are NOT legally bound to update these devices... Granted they released an update that caused more issues than good and they should have been a little more rushed to fix it.... But again as I stated above a simple thread from VZW with status updates on what the progress is would keep everyone from having the TRUE need to start these threads demanding answers and hazing VZW... I have just as many issues with them as the rest of you but I also weigh out the options. Where I am Verizon is the only good service provider so I have to deal with the negatives in order to get the service I need.... Once someone else in my area can compete that will change.. Until then I have to accept what I have....

I also keep in mind that is is a phone 15 years ago my phone only made calls and sent very short text messages and I survived perfectly fine day to day without worrying about updates and all... Technology is destroying this country and the people in it.

0 Likes
Toxicle
Enthusiast - Level 3

Miller6386 - You're missing the point, greatly. This isn't about just getting an update because we feel entitled, this is about getting an update so that what I pay for, which is a working product, can do just that - work.

There are days when I cannot use my phone. Simply using the dialer, or even random backround data, can cause my phone to overheat to the point where I cannot hold it, and will cause the battery to drain in a matter of hours. This is basic usage of the phone. Many people have the same issues, some even worse - even after factory resets, new phones, and everything else Verizon has suggested. This is not the fault of the user, therefore falls to Verizon to make sure what I pay for works in the most basic way. And do you know what? My phone is part of my livelihood. I use it for work.

Other networks have been able to push it out, so it's within reason to seriously wonder why Verizon, claiming to be the best and largest of the bunch, cannot.

This has absolutely nothing to do with technology 'destroying' this country. That's silly. It's money, greed, and poor support for your customers, that is.

invertedspear
Enthusiast - Level 2

>Microsoft went years and years without giving any discount or free upgrades for windows

What the what? Every version of windows since the internet (95 and on) where it became possible to offer effectively OTA updates has included at least 2 free updates. They are called service packs and contains tons of fixes and a few new features. 5.0 to 5.1 would be the equivalent. We would not be entitled to 6.0, but we should be entitled to the fixes for the bugs introduced in the initial release. You may now claim "but it shipped with 4.4" but in many cases, including mine, I had 5.0 out of the box. I am, in fact, entitled to bug fixes, especially when they were promised to be imminent by the salesperson that sold me the phone.

You are right about VZW being needlessly closed about info regarding this. If they have plans I don't need a date, how about a periodic update saying, we passed or didn't pass milestone x of y. If they don't plan to give us this update, they need to tell us as much.

Your final point is completely pointless. I didn't buy a phone. If I did I wouldn't be complaining. I bought a small portable computer that just happens to make phone calls as well. If you don't like smart phones or technology, good on you, VZW still sells flip phones for you.

Docjonel
Enthusiast - Level 1

Bought my Verizon Galaxy Note 4 in January of this year so I could also use it with the Gear VR. I am waiting for the 5.1.1 update as well and find Verizon's response to this thread flabbergasting. Instead of answering a direct and simple question Verizon asks us to describe our problems and suggests we update to a new phone?! It seems clear to me that they don't have any intention of supporting a phone I updated to only a few months ago. I really feel left out in the cold by Verizon. I have been a Verizon customer for many years but this poor support and lack of communication has me looking at other companies. I will base my decision on which provides the best service and am finding Verizon lacking in that area.

So again, a simple question- when are Galaxy Note 4 users getting the update to 5.1.1? Soon, or never?

Cdubb82
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had my first note 4 replaced because of all the issues after 5.0.1 caused. Thankfully they shipped it with 4.4.4. I, being the optimist I am went ahead and updated 2 days ago because Netflix for the gear VR wouldn't install without lollipop. Now I'm back in the my phone isn't good camp. I may go figure out the odin flash back to 4.4.4 thing. There are enough resources out there. I really hope we get marshmallow before December, and its stable ... Glad I'm not the only one having issues. Darn first world problems. But on a serious note , what's up with Verizon's replies, yeeesh. I don't think they read hardly any of the posts.

0 Likes
Hotshoe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ann you really need to give this up. You are flat out wrong. You seriously believe other carriers have the update and Verizon doesn't? If you do, I can't help you. And I suppose the same thing happened for the Note 3 that went over a year without an update while thousands couldn't even make a phone call? And then Verizon offers up the idea to upgrade from a Note 4? You cannot be serious.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't think any carrier who hasn't released the update has it. Samsung has it. Last I checked, T-Mobile hasn't released the update either.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
emlspencer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ann, Hotshot is absolutely correct.  You are mistaken.  Verizon has the update which is why their constant excuse is that it has to undergo 'rigorous' testing. 

At this point, I'd like to rigorously wring the necks of everyone at VZW that continue to dance around the fact that we're not getting a desperately needed fix to our note 4's. 

Once again, massive VERIZON FAILURE!!!!

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Then explain why the T-Mobile model doesn't have the update either. Which version of the Android ™ platform does my T-Mobile Samsung Note ® 4 use? or the US Cellular model Which version of the Android ™ platform does my US Cellular Samsung Galaxy Note ® 4 use? Who's failure is it when multiple carriers don't have the update for their version of the Note 4? Answer: Samsung.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
emlspencer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ann, I'm sorry I can't explain this any more clearly.  Samsung has released the update to all carriers for the note 4.  It is up to each individual service provider to test the update within their network.  Once they have tested the update, they release it to their customers.  This means that Sprint as well as AT&T have tested the update and released it for their customers.  I'm sorry this isn't making sense to you.  Verizon is failing it's customers plain and simple.