Re: Galaxy Note 4 Android 5.1.1 Update - VZW FAIL
gnc1956
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am looking forward to VZW's Marshmallow update in mid-2016 because that means that my 2-years will be up paying for my Note 4 as, well as, my wife's Note 4.  At that point, 1 can terminate our contract and move on ... I can't wait to get out from under the grips of VZW poor customer service.  Loyalty means nothing to them...

20-years of faithfully paying my $240/month bill on-time, dealing with all the issues on the latest debacle will all come to an end - unfortunately just not soon enough.  The positive, I hopefully can get the latest phone on another network with great customer service, for a better price.

Another potential option -fingers crossed- maybe Google will make their own hardware and I will not have to beholden to carrier!

Hotshoe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon has truly turned into a joke. We now have two Note phones in a row that have been abandoned, the Note 3 and Note 4. I have no contract and will be heading to AT&T  soon.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The unlocked Moto G 1st Gen got the Lollipop 5.1.1 update back in July. It took Motorola until November to get the 3G EDVO only smartphone of the Moto G for Verizon Wireless updated between writing the code and getting the carrier testing process approved. That tells me that there was delays or issues that Motorola had to address. Who knows how many times the update went in for testing and failed or was pulled to start over. It is likely it was one of the updates respun after the Stagefright bug was discovered.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
j238
Enthusiast - Level 3

Tell me why do they have to be certified in the first place... if verizon

can't test in a timely fashion.

Why can't they be just pushed out from Samsung if they let it be unlocked

fully... just like unlocked GSM phones or the nexus 6p and 5x are.

That way no blowback for the carrier and it will be all upto the

manufacturer .

0 Likes
emlspencer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Toxicle,

Do you have the name of that media company doing the story on how horrible Verizon has gotten?  Perhaps if we made mention of the company, story title or when/where it will be available, someone within Verizon may take notice and get off their useless rear ends and think about doing something. 

I for one think Verizon is in bed with the devil and would love to know who we can file complaints with?

Here's one for the moderators.  Provide us with a name, address or phone number of the department that is accepting complaints from the thousands of your customers who will be making a mass exodus in a short span of time.  I think at the very least, we all deserve to know why your company has taken so much of our money and provided us with not so much as a breadcrumb to go on.  How EXCITING would that be?????

0 Likes
Toxicle
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't know much about it - the guy making the video is a Filmmaker/Developer who does a podcast, but haven't spoken about it other than a few tweets back and forth. Not sure how big this really is, but the guy has 41k followers on twitter, so I'd assume he has a decent following with his work. I pointed him towards these forums before, but not sure what else became of it. But who knows? Maybe if enough people talk to him, it could be fairly big - @josejonesfilms

It's not just him noticing it either, pretty sure there was a whole reddit thread that made the front page - which is pretty big - about VZW issues with updates and customers.

Another fun fact to those who keep sticking up for them - one of the staffers at the New York Post this morning was tweeting that Verizon shut off their phones and internet to strongarm them into getting Fios. Great company, right?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The only address anyone is going to provide is the SAME one already available under the Contact Us link at the top of the every Verizon Wireless web page. I trust you can find it yourself.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
hoboX10
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon's whole spiel about updates going through testing before being released is the most offensive response we can get in my opinion. If the horribly-broken and buggy 5.0.1 update is the result of your "thorough testing", then you guys must either "test" it by seeing if it installs without bootlooping the phone and then ship it off. Because this update is simply pathetic. And why you continue to lie about Samsung's update path is beyond me. Everyone knows how update cycles work - the manufacturer updates all phones within its class at the same time because they come from the same base. It is then split off per carrier for their specific changes. Somewhere in Samsung sits a completed 5.1 build for the N910V only to be told by some idiot at Verizon "no, we want to do less work and only release 1 update: 6.0"

The ironic thing about 6.0 though is going to be how buggy and broken it will be. First versions of new versions of Android are always really patchy, just like how 5.0 is. So unless Verizon miraculously manages to support whatever big bugfix update that comes after 6.0 (6.1 perhaps) then we will be totally out of luck. And I'm sure it'll go exactly as the 5.1 update did, forcing users to have to buy a new phone rather than have their current one fixed to an acceptable working state.

0 Likes
BrownSugar67
Contributor - Level 3

You can file a complaint with the FCC

0 Likes
Masterplan
Enthusiast - Level 1

You guys have done a great job detailing the frustrations of many of us. Think how many thousands more there are like me who don't normally post, but read every line of every post and silently cheer you on. Finally, like many of you, I've decided I'll be leaving Verizon after 15 years, and the last 8+ being on the "unlimited data" plan. I'd rather pay more for the latest version of the Android OS and good customer service. Looks like it's project Fi for me a new Nexus 6P. Treating myself for Thanksgiving. I give thanks for all your posts and I'll let you know how the Nexus is with Marshmallow. Peace out big red.