Re: Galaxy Note 4 Android 5.1.1 Update - VZW FAIL
Tidbits
Legend

Nexus devices are all made by Google in the sense that's their code. They only make it for Nexus devices. Also are based on those devices.   Without that code there would be no code for all other Android devices.

0 Likes
feldy76
Enthusiast - Level 2

After speaking with a supervisor at vzw tier 2 tech support they did receive the update from Samsung for the note 4 and supposedly there were issues in the software that supposedly caused frequent crashes and severe battery drain when installed on the Verizon build versions of the phone. According to vzw rep, they sent the results of the tests to Samsung and are still awaiting a revised version of the update. That was in October.  I have heard there is to be a marshmallow update for note for released in February.  Possibly they will skip the update for lollipop and just go to marshmallow.

Can only hope. ....

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

feldy76 wrote:

After speaking with a supervisor at vzw tier 2 tech support they did receive the update from Samsung for the note 4 and supposedly there were issues in the software that supposedly caused frequent crashes and severe battery drain when installed on the Verizon build versions of the phone. According to vzw rep, they sent the results of the tests to Samsung and are still awaiting a revised version of the update. That was in October.  I have heard there is to be a marshmallow update for note for released in February.  Possibly they will skip the update for lollipop and just go to marshmallow.

Can only hope. ....

Then that means it's back on Samsung, but then Samsung low level reps say they gave it to Verizon.  I said this before.  There will be back and forth.  Just because it on another device doesn't mean they go down the same path.  If Samsung truly believes Verizon is slowing down the update they could use their clout, but they chose not to, because if they lie about it they may shoot themselves in the foot.

0 Likes
feldy76
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes I know they both purposely pass the blame back and forth. I get to edge

up in April if I choose to. But I'm not completely impressed with the note

5. I love the note line but the 5 was somewhat dissapointing. I love the

large amount of ram and am thrilled at the Samsung in house octa core

processor. (My personal preference to the previous US version processor)

but was completely bummed at the lack of SD card slot. The non removable

battery didn't bother me but the glass back was awful idea. Should have

learned from Apple's mistakes like Apple did and used a metal back.

Waiting to see what the spring releases bring and also looking into Project

Fi.

Or at least by my next phone as an unlocked one to hopefully get updates

sooner.

0 Likes
OUTCASTED2003
Enthusiast - Level 3

There were too many issues with 5.1.1 so Verizon decided to wait and upgrade directly to 6.0. People need to be patient, the phone is working ok on the current version so a few added months won't hurt! It will be worth the wait. Next month we should get the 6.0 update.  

0 Likes
Doing_work_son
Contributor - Level 1

Just the Verizon version of 5.1.1 had too many issues? The Note 4 is going

to get 6.0 Marshmallow before the S6, S6 Edge, Note 5 and S6 Edge Plus?

Because the beta (in South Korea and the UK) for the S6 and S6 edge doesn't

even end until mid January 18th. So your saying that VERIZON, of all

carriers, will have a 6.0.x build sent out OTA to the Note 4 in JANUARY of

2016??? Do they currently have a Marshmallow build in testing for the Note

4? If the beta doesn't end until January 18th, I can't imagine that the

first build would roll out in January from a carrier, let alone Verizon, at

least for a Samsung smartphone. Mid to late February sounds more likely if

testing goes well. This also lines up better with the 2nd leaked Samsung

6.0 update schedule of a February release. Who and or what is your source

outcasted2003?

On Dec 27, 2015 11:22 PM, "OUTCASTED2003" <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
Jason_Nipp
Contributor - Level 3

Don't know where you get "the phone is working on this version" comment...  without the use of an extender I can't make phone calls, my battery lasts about 2 hrs, and my phone constantly slows to a snail pace. 

If I was offered a Nexus 6p I'd stop complaining....  I'd also dump the Note forever and likely never use a Samsung phone again.

0 Likes
Kennyparc
Enthusiast - Level 2

So it's taking this long because the Verizon variant is having issues with the update? Honestly, I don't accept this as an excuse. Every major carrier has received it from Samsung and have already pushed the OTA. Why would Verizon, one of the Big 3, be taking this long? Just how flawed is SM-N910V?

Pretty embarrassing to say the least...

Tidbits
Legend

Then get Samsung upper management to say so and put their name on it... If they are unwilling then what does that mean? Not one person in the last 7 years has gotten verbal confirmation from someone that matters from the manufacturer. All lawsuits to date have lost with the basic arguments found in this thread. You guys want to change things? That is how. Worked in Europe.

Zacharee1
Contributor - Level 1

(You know, it'd be REALLY nice if I wasn't logged out of the forums after 5 minutes of inactivity, Verizon)

Can you post a number for Samsung executive? I get email notifications, so I'll have access to it after it gets deleted. Tomorrow, I'm calling VZW Exec, and it'd be lovely to be able to call Samsung as well. If there's no way to get in contact with an exec, reports from Samsung CSRs and VZW Exec are all we have. No one here is to the point of making a lawsuit (yet), but I'm sure we could get somewhere against Verizon with what we have.

0 Likes