Re: Re: Galaxy Note 4 Android 5.1.1 Update - VZW FAIL
deloused
Master - Level 3

I honestly don't take sides either way on the software update issues. However, common sense completely points to the delay on software issues completely being a Verizon issue. Of course neither side has any proof who is really at fault causing such delays. Sure Verizon isn't always last in software updates, but they often are, and have very consistently been last or later with the majority of its android, windows and even basic phones before that. There is proof of this, as you can view this, and thousands of posts all over the Internet with similar complaints. I first became a 'Verizon' customer in 1996 (Bell Atlantic), and noticed by atleast 2001 that Verizon was consistently later or last in providing updates (mostly for basic phones at the time).

While this post is specifically around the Note 4, check out past posts, recent or old. You'll see the exact same things happen-

1) Customers generally have a properly working phone most of the time with the original software version of their phone at the time of purchase.

2) Some customers complain that they want a new software version, and some customers complain that they don't want a new software version because they're comfortable with the current way their phone works. Both types of customers often mention cancelling, going with a different provider etc and have been saying these things for over 14 years. (Check out complaints to other carriers as well, while their customers don't usually wait as long as Verizon's for updates they all have they same complaints and threats to switch etc.)

3) After the new software does come out (IF it does of course) technical issues pop up for customers with every type of device, on all carriers, even those with Apple phones. Again, same complaints to the carrier if you search for previous posts.

So, since things have 'always' been this way, and Verizon continues to grow their customer base despite this, there is literally no current reason for the company to put the amount of effort into changing their software processes. Through constant research, market changes and customer feedback the majority of customers leaving Verizon is due to cost, and new service/equipment gimmicks to switch. Like any other smart large company they're going to focus most efforts where they can get their biggest bang for their buck, like new plans, pricing, switching credits, device payment plans etc as those were the majority of the actual reasons their customers have switched services. Most customers that threaten to leave really actually don't, so it is certainly a bluff well called.

Understandably, the software update process is not ideal at all. However, like with any business if you want them to change you need to speak with your wallet regarding your needs and what is important to you.

Ever been to McDonalds and had your order messed up? I bet most people have. Totally unacceptable of course, after all that's at the direct core of what they do, take orders for food. Sure it would be great if all phones were also updated correctly and timely with no issues, but that's not reality anywhere.

I went to McDonalds and ordered 2 double cheeseburgers with no onion and small fries. I received 1 cold hamburger and cold one double cheeseburger, both with onions and no fries. Have I been back there and given them more money since? Yes, as most others have also. And that's on me. Sometimes I'm in a hurry and go there for a fast meal. If a good quality burger is what I want I may go to Five Guys instead, or if a specialized spicy burger, location or nice employees is important to me I may go to a different local place.

For a consumer to expect such things to change while history shows these things are pretty consistent, is honestly not a 'Verizon fail' as the post tis titled it's a customer fail. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. McDonalds receives millions of complaints and 'I'm never going there again' etc yet millions still go there on there own choosing, they're not going out of business or make huge changes in such areas, nor is Verizon going to unless they lose an impactful amount of profit (customers).

If timely software updates are important to you, perhaps don't choose a Samsung device on Verizon. If certain coverage or the NFL app is important to you perhaps choose Verizon. If cost is important to you perhaps choose Sprint. Posting the same exact types of complaints over and over won't change a thing.

No need either to invent ideas that carriers are required to provide device software updates, nor is it a part of any contract between a customer and their carrier. I have an advanced Sony TV, it has and can get software updates for features, bugs etc. If I have an issue with it I'm certainly not going to contact Best Buy where I bought it, or Comcast who provides the network connection, I'll go right to Sony as its their product and they are the experts. Also in no way am I entitled to software updates in my purchasing agreement with TVs either.

Props to Google and Apple for implementing procedures to improve and speed up the process for their customers. Props to some carriers who have been quicker to test/deploy and investigate software issues faster than Verizon. Props to consumers who do their research and choose the best product and service for their situation.

Also, you'll notice tons of posts (with any manufacturer and carrier) with customer questions and complaints about 'when' an update will be released. Consistently, since 'forever' if you look at posts for any company they tend to not tell anyone when a change or update occurs before everything is complete, ready and announced. Even Apple doesn't. McDonalds wouldn't tell me when the McRib was coming back before it was announced either. Their employees that customers can reach out to don't even know. Sure I could also whine about that, or threaten to never return, or be a jerk to another human just doing their job, and they wouldn't blink an eye either.

To ask the same question over and over- 'When is ____ being released' expecting a different answer than- 'We will tell you as soon as it's ready and announced' is really a waste of time.

If you seriously would like things to change in this arena you'll need to change your buying habits. Or keep doing what you're doing if just venting and not making changes with your choices makes you feel better. Companies will continue to offer products and services that people buy.

Jason_Nipp
Contributor - Level 3

So when is the McRib coming back?

deloused
Master - Level 3

🙂 We would probably get better answers to such questions by asking a psychic instead

0 Likes
Gbktoledo
Contributor - Level 1

Two things I've learned. 

1) Never will I buy another Samsung product.

2) when my current contract with Verizon expires in June, im gone. 

If I had to speculate I would guess we will get 5.1.1 within the next 2 weeks, based on the sale of android phones at Verizon that just ended.

0 Likes
Jason_Nipp
Contributor - Level 3

Perhaps my age is blinding me from the logic, but how's does a sale correlate to getting a software update?

It was just a sale, not an announcement at CES 2016.

0 Likes
Gbktoledo
Contributor - Level 1

Flooding the market with new android phones with 5 0.1, when the new owners find out how bad it is I'm guessing alot of returns.. thus the release of 5.1.1

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Much like the various other phones still on 5.0.1 still being sold today even by Verizon... Kind of tears that apart at this moment. 

0 Likes
Daniyarm
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am done with Samsung as a brand for any device or appliance. Their execs just admitted that their company can't write software to save their life, so why would I buy a device that's mostly software form a company that admits failure in that department. As soon as Nexus 6P is back in stock at Best Buy I am trading in my Note 4. I'll take hit on it, but at least I'll have a device that can make calls, not just a glorified tablet.

As far as Verizon is concerned, I may not have a choice where I live. But they will never get another dime form me for a device. Nexus all the way.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Daniyarm wrote:

As far as Verizon is concerned, I may not have a choice where I live. But they will never get another dime form me for a device. Nexus all the way.

They don't make money off devices like people think they do.  They don't get some magical wholesale discount.  There was a leak back in the day they made like $10 off a phone, and the iPhone was like $3.  Carriers actually eat the cost initially and make back what they subsidized.

0 Likes
Toxicle
Enthusiast - Level 3

Finally just got fed up, and instead of waiting a little bit longer so that the cost of me leaving would be less, I just said screw it - got a Nexus 6p on top of what I pay for this line, and landed a new carrier. Sorry Verizon, you really are just terrible, and I regret that I kept giving you excuses - poor service, worst upgrade schedule, and overpriced.

I spent the day talking to both Samsung, and Verizon (well, *trying* with Verizon, because yet again, they barely want to talk about something wrong). I've dealt with both many times, but I figured I'd give it one last shot.

Speaking with Samsung, they asked the usual water damage, all of the apps updated, etc etc. And once again, we went over I had done all of that before, and after going over I'm on my third battery, and second Note 4, that I've done everything they could think of, that yes, it was an OS issue, and that unfortunately other than having my phone sent in for over a week for evaluation, there was nothing they could do. The service person flat out said that Verizon at this point in time had the update, and they unfortunately, any real attempts at looking into that would have to be answered by Verizon. We knew this.

I tried Verizon on twitter, since I was already on my laptop - and after trying to tweet their help account, specifically designed for questions and help, for *months*, at the very least a few dozen times, I still have never had them answer me. Probably one of the absolute worst jokes ever made, and today was no different - no answer from them. I tried the live chat here on the website, and while I got someone, they as usual 'had no answer'. Again, no surprise, although they did clearly state that Verizon was still 'working on the update'.

I called Verizon, and while the person I landed was very nice, she knew nothing other than to recite the standard 'Water damage, updated apps, etc'. Since I'm on my third battery and second Note, and after talking about how late they are with the update, I was offered nothing but a gift card, which I did not want - and was then encouraged to buy a Note 5 since I was 'unhappy with my Note 4 experience' - which means I would have to pay off the rest of my buggy Note 4 (which was still $350+), and get a Note 5 at full price + gift card. Hooray.

All in all, exactly what I expected, but pointless nonetheless. The point of this? If you're disgruntled with Verizon, just leave. They don't care - that much is obvious. And while *some* of the employees are trying to be helpful, nobody knows anything, and none are really trained to do jack. Especially in this case - all signs point to Verizon having the update, and just dragging their heels testing their own bad apps.

So just leave. For your own sanity, if you're on here complaining, just leave. Every other carrier offered me deals and better phones within seconds of inquiring online, yet my own carrier that I've been with for *years* did nothing.

To those sticking up for Verizon - why? This forum isn't the only place that Verizon has been proven to be bad at treating loyal customers, and are your lives really that pathetic that if you don't have any issues, you need to sit here, trying to get on the case of those that do? People here are frustrated, and understandably so - even if posting here does nothing, which yes, we all know it most likely will do nothing, there is a *chance*, and at least people can vent to other with the same problems. Which is sadder - posting on a forum with a slight chance someone will take notice when you have issues, or hassling people, for no reason, who are upset they are mistreated. Verizon has the resources to have been the first carrier with this out, but as shown with other phones they have neglected, they couldn't care less as long as they have our money - glad to see you sticking your neck out for a proven neglectful company.