Re: Galaxy Note 4 Android 5.1.1 Update - VZW FAIL
Zacharee1
Contributor - Level 1

So I called the VZW executive number I got today. After about 10 minutes on hold, someone picked up. I told them about my issues and asked if they knew anything about the update. I got a response similar to the other person on this thread who said they called the executive line. I was told that Verizon has received the update and it is in the testing phase. They said that they didn't know whether or not it would be released and said they didn't know if Verizon is just going to skip it. I just got a recommendation to search Google daily.

I was then asked a bunch of questions about what I had done to troubleshoot my device. I told them how I had factory reset twice, tried a new phone, gotten a new battery and how I have a rather minimal installation. Since this troubleshooting was to "the extent" that the CSR could help me, I was transferred to Tech Support and, honestly, I think they were worse than normal tier 1 tech support. They ran that diagnostic thing on my phone and told me what apps I had running. Each one they listed was either stopped (not running) or didn't even exist. I was told that "having a lot if stuff on the phone can bog it down." DUH! I asked why, if that was the reason, had the other Note 4, purchased in August had the same issues right out of the box, and they didn't have an answer.

All I got were answers and steps that I had already tried in February, when 5.0 was released for the Note. I got nothing new, except that Verizon does have the update. We just don't know whether or not it's ever going to be released and, since it's almost January, I'm guessing we'll be waiting until mid-February at the earliest.

0 Likes
Chapman1969
Contributor - Level 1

Well I don't think us note 4 owner's will get the update in February.

Because by then the gs7 will be out and again they will forget the note 4

once again

0 Likes
Doing_work_son
Contributor - Level 1

If the Marshmallow 6.0 update schedule that was leaked goes as schedule and

Note 4's start receiving it around February, we can be sure that Verizon

will not be pushing it out OTA in that time frame. It will most likely be

unlocked and international Note 4's and perhaps Sprint or T-Mobile that

will get it pushed out OTA around then. But I'm sure the Note 4 on Verizon

will once again lag months behind and won't see the Marshmallow update

until late June or July. Hopefully we will have received 5.1.1 prior to

that point, but at this rate it doesn't look promising, apparently 5.1.1 is

a massive, major overhaul from 5.0.1 and needs more than 5 months of prep

time and testing to push out....maybe after a good half year has passed

since the last minor security update, maybe then we will finally get thrown

a bone and get anorher bug fixer / security update.

0 Likes
Daniyarm
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem is not only Verizon, it's Samsung. Not only do they have hundreds of devices out in the world, they also make carrier specific versions which breaks it up even more. This is why I am done with them. They are the masters of bloatware whether it's a phone, a TV or a laptop. And the online reviewers enable them by rating products based on how much crap they load into a device. I was just reading a review of a blu-ray player that smokes Samsung in audio and video, but got rated lower because it only had 5 apps. I guess this is the world we live in.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Galaxy Note 4 Android 5.1.1 Update - VZW FAIL
emlspencer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Toxicle, what number did you call?  I'd like to try calling them, if it was a number other than the one I have already called.

0 Likes
emlspencer
Enthusiast - Level 3

For those of you whom have walked away to this point empty handed feeling [removed] by verizon, here's what I was offered:  Go to the play store and download the app GO90, register an account and you will get 2G of free data added to your plan for the next 3 months. 

They offered to send me a refurb unit to replace my current Note 4 and I told them to keep it.

I actually had a CSR tell me that 5.1.1 was released back in November and that all I had to do was run the Software Upgrade Assistant from my PC to get the software update.  I stated word for word:  "I guarantee you that your information is inaccurate.  However, if you assure me %100, I will take a long lunch at work here and drive home to run the SUA on my computer.  If however, this does not work, I'd like to speak with your supervisor."

I called back after running the SUA and spoke with a supervisor that promised they would look into the matter and call me back the following day. Two hours passed after the time I was to receive a return phone call. I spoke with another supervisor whom sent a message to the supervisor that I spoke with the previous day whom was supposed to call me back.  That supervisor whom was supposed to call me back then called me 4 hours after the time he indicated he would call and told me that he apologized and due to a cardiac issue, he was not able to call me at the time he promised.  I was then told that the call had been reviewed between myself and the CSR that guaranteed me 5.1.1 would update through my SUA and that corrective action was taken with that CSR.  I said "GREAT, but what exactly does that do for me. . . .?"

Nothing . . . . VZW truly has sunken to the bottom of the pack as far as cellular carriers in the customer service department. And so quickly - I would have sworn by VZW 6-8 months ago and sent any friend or family member to them.  Now, I cant warn people away from them quickly enough and can truly not wait for my contract to be up so that I can move to a carrier with timely software support and a customer service team that doesnt live with their [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service]

Thank you,

Verizon Wireless Moderator

0 Likes
Jason_Nipp
Contributor - Level 3

I'm just hoping I get enough tax return to buy a phone that works.   I went to pay with a Nexus today, while it lacks many of the advertised features the Note 4 was supposed to provide, it does work and it's fast.   So when my contracts are up I can have options.  It's unfortunate I will have to pay $600 for a Nexus 6p, and continue paying edge plan payments on a $700 paperweight.  I blame Samsung as much as I blame Verizon.   At this point the Note 3 and 4 have never lived up to the advertised functionality.  Too much emphasis on tablet, not enough on making phone calls.   Samsung failed all of us.  My home is literally filled with their products.  TVs, BluRays, Appliances... My smart TV keeps having apps removed and features turned off because they don't want to support the features anymore...   nope my Samsung loyalty is done.    Verizon is next on my cancelled loyalty list.  Thanks for selling us lemons.  The independent dealerships licensed to sell Ford, Chrysler, or GM vehicles would have had to buy back the lemons buy now.

0 Likes
bitkahuna

wow, can't believe how long this thread got.  a lot of venting at verizon, but they don't have a great deal of control over the situation either, although they make things worse with their bloatware and change on top of any new release.  but i think the even bigger issue is samsung, who adds all their crap on top of android, most of which is just that, crap.

i really think samsung would be even more popular on their flagship phones if they had a closer to straight android experience.

i can sympathize with everyone here but i eventually bailed and got a nexus 6p.  it's awesome.  note 4 is also and awesome phone, hobbled with crap outdated android with a big pile of crap on top of it.

on a positive note, i do love verizon's network, and think their recent plan/pricing changes are GREAT.

0 Likes
Jason_Nipp
Contributor - Level 3

Can't say I have heard people state that they are happy with their plan costs before... With any carrier for that matter.

My vzw bill is the single highest utility bill I have.  In fact it's higher than my satellite tv, cable internet, and electricity (not summer) bills combined.

In fact charting out all my monthly expenses, I often have a hard time justifying a cellular bill at all.  I already killed my landline.

0 Likes
bitkahuna

can't see how your verizon bill is bigger than your satellite, cable and electricity combined unless you're paying for a bunch of lines on verizon.

my monthly total for satellite, internet and electricity is about 5 times what i pay verizon!

0 Likes