Re: Galaxy Note 4 Android 5.1.1 Update - VZW FAIL
Tidbits
Legend

Your internal storage screenshot is correct. That's how the system tells the app what you have as an pseudo sdcard. The rest is reserved by the system for updates and such as well as the OS itself with its partitions. Ask any Nexus user to use the app and you'll see the same results showing less than the total storage of the phone

0 Likes
Zacharee1
Contributor - Level 1

Hmm. I guess that makes sense. A little ridiculous, but oh well. This phone is still definitely software defective, and I think a replacement is definitely in the near future. I can't have this phone lasting less than a day until next November, when I can get a new phone.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Re: Galaxy Note 4 Android 5.1.1 Update - VZW FAIL
mrfred
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I think Lollipop may have actually damaged my hardware. The default file manager on my Note tells me that I have 32GB internal storage and that 18GB is used. Most of that 18GB is used by "Other." I downloaded an app to see what might be using my space, and did find some stuff I could delete or move to my SD card, but I also noticed something strange. The app told me I had about 9.5GB used and 14GB free. That's 24GB total storage. Just to make sure, I downloaded another disk usage app and got the same result: my internal storage has been reduced to 24GB total. Now, maybe the missing 8GB is system, but that's hard to believe, and why would the default file manager say I still have 32GB? I think I may have to actually use my insurance and get another Note 4 and go through the hassle of transferring my stuff.

My guess is that the 18 GB in "Other" is the unneeded part of what Verizon used to transfer your files from a previous phone to your GN4.  I had about 8-10 GB.  It can be safely deleted.

0 Likes
Chapman1969
Contributor - Level 1

I wouldn't use your insurance I would make verizon send you a different

note 4 that would save you some money and that sounds like a Verizon issue

on your note 4

0 Likes
Zacharee1
Contributor - Level 1

(I'm assuming you're replying to me.)

I would make them do that, but my warranty expired in November. I'm pretty sure the insurance is a free replacement. It's the $9/mo one that Verizon provides. Anyway, if Verizon were to send me a new phone, I would have to do a factory reset first, and I am not going to do one of those again, unless absolutely necessary. The other times I did one, there was always something that didn't back up, even when Kies said it did.

0 Likes
emlspencer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Zach, call VZW Executive Customer Relations.  They are sending me a brand new Note 5 for free, no contract extension, no change to my renewal/upgrade date.

0 Likes
Zacharee1
Contributor - Level 1

I just wished I liked the Note 5 . If I did, that would be an amazing option. Do you know if it's possible to get another brand? What did you ask?

0 Likes
Chapman1969
Contributor - Level 1

I would say u did a factory reset and if the phone is isn't working like it

should then they will send you a replacement phone

0 Likes
Zacharee1
Contributor - Level 1

Hmm. If I have the patience to try again, I'll do that.

0 Likes
Chapman1969
Contributor - Level 1

Did you have the note 4 before they are sending you the note 5 emlspencer

0 Likes