Galaxy Note 7 Free?
Cyberlocc
Enthusiast - Level 2

So my sisters boyfriend wants to keep there Note 7s. And he just got off the phone with Verizon, who told him not only can they keep the phone. They can keep it for free, they do not have to pay for the phone at all.

Now I am curious can we keep the phone even if we do take the upgrade? Do we not actually have to send this phone back at all.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy Note 7 Free?
andrewt_vzw
Verizon Employee

Cyberlocc,

We definitely want to make sure you can have a safe phone you can count on. We are requesting that all Note 7 phones be returned as they have been recalled. A shipping box to return it in may have already been sent and if it wasn't it will be sent soon. I apologize for any confusing information that was given to your sister's boyfriend.

AndrewT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
andrewt_vzw
Verizon Employee

Cyberlocc,

We definitely want to make sure you can have a safe phone you can count on. We are requesting that all Note 7 phones be returned as they have been recalled. A shipping box to return it in may have already been sent and if it wasn't it will be sent soon. I apologize for any confusing information that was given to your sister's boyfriend.

AndrewT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

The only way a refund will be processed is if you return the phone. Now perhaps Verizon is not requiring the monthly payment for the device any longer, but I can't say for sure.

I would tell them they are not allowed to travel via plane with the Note 7, which may not be a big deal, but they should consider everyone's safety, not just their own pockets.

0 Likes
TSARYTSIN
Enthusiast - Level 3

All contracts for Note7s have been cancelled by Verizon. if you go to your account on My Verizon it will say, "Good News, you are ready to upgrade. You've paid off your device." To me, that means it's paid for...right?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Accounts have been changed so customers can upgrade (down grade) more easily and return the Note 7. It's likely the device payment won't be applied to your next bill, but I haven't seen it confirmed.

The only way it's free is it you purchased it just before the recall. Otherwise whatever payments you've made towards it each month won't be refunded until after you return it.

0 Likes
Cyberlocc
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is incorrect. I was already refunded my edge payments, so was my sister and her boyfriend. 2 different accounts, 3 different notes, all but the upgrade fees has been refunded on all 3. They even got refunded for the 160 dollars in accessories they bought from Verizon. I bought accessories from amazon, for which I also got refunded.

As of right now this phone has costed me 21.92, from the upgrade fee. So if the payments will not be reinstated, then they will either have to charge full price or do nothing.

A couple other notes. Again the rep he spoke with told him, they will not charge him for the phone ever. He also contacted his aunt who is high up in the corporate world of ATT, she said that ATT is dfoing the same thing. They are washing there hands with the phone, send it back, keep it, throw it away they do not care. They have removed the existence of the phone from there system, and no longer care.

Now as to endangering others ect. I personally will be replacing my phone with a Pixel XL which I have already pre ordered. That said, the reality is of model 2, there has been 5 "Explode" out of billions. You have a better chance of being struck by lighting 2 times in your life, or dying in 4 car accidents.

Futhermore, I vape, so I know why how and what these batteries can and do do. This is a risk that vapers take every single day, millions of us. So this entire thing is being blown way out of proportion.

There again, the phone does not Explode, here the media goes again lol. Yes it can go into thermal runway. this causes the battery to vent gas and smoke. It heats up very hot, can burn things and on a flammable surface can start a fire. It does not "blow up" proper safety going in and knowing this possibility helps to prevent any issues with said incident. I have had 5 batterys go into thermal runway on me from vaping. It is easily dealt with, throw the device somewhere that isnt flammable. IE concrete/rocks/sink I could go on. If it starts to overheat you will know and can prevent any danger very very easily.

The phone is not exploding and shooting glass at all around lol. The only time you cannot help thermal runway is while charging. This is again easily dealt with. You can charge your phone in a fire proof bag, you can charge it on a glass surface ect ect. People that deal with vaping, RC cars or anything that uses Li Ion or Lipos outside of tech is fully aware of how to handle and the dangers. also laptops and other phones have and do explode. this one had a slightly higher chance but they all have a chance. This entire thing is being blown way out of proportion.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Just to confirm, you still have the Note 7 in your posession, but were given a refund without returning it?

0 Likes
Cyberlocc
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is correct. All 3 of us still have our notes and all charges have been refunded.

I have even tried to give it back and they wont let me LOL. the VZW store says they cant and wont take it. the support phone number has stated Samsung is sending boxs and they have nothing to do with it call them. Samsung told my sisters boyfriend just keep it we dont care.

Here is the better question has anyone actually been able to return there note?

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Can't seem to edit my post, but it makes sense that they don't want it back. I'm surprised post carriers haven't said they won't take them, but then again when you mail things with batteries it has to be marked on the outside.

Good info to know in regards to getting the refund automatically, if that's the case.

0 Likes
Cyberlocc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well the refund we got however. Was to our bills, We got bill credits for the payments made. I do not know how people who payed the full phone off will work. My edge payment was actually refunded on the 13thish. the first Verizon text I got about the official recall, I was already refunded.

That was also prior to me "Upgrading" to a Pixel, which I just did yesterday and already had gotten refunded long before that.

I honestly dont think even samsung wants the phones back. They are all just washing there hands and sticking you with a phone to dispose of.

0 Likes