Galaxy Note 7 - Second Recall
csun22
Enthusiast - Level 2

I used to have the Galaxy S6 and traded it in early to get the Note 7 when it first came out. In order to do that, I had to pay extra device installment payments to satisfy the agreement I had when I purchased the S6. I was VERY happy with the Note 7 but as I'm sure everyone knows the phone has been called......twice. I exchanged my original Note 7 for a replacement which has now been recalled as well. Now I have a a tough choice to make. Do I get an S7 that has been out for about 6 months and and have that phone for at least a year before I can trade it in? Or do I go with an entirely new phone such as an iPhone or Google Pixel. From my understanding, if I choose either the S7 or an iPhone I can trade in that phone once 50% (the equivalent of 1 year) has been paid off. If I choose the Pixel, the phone has to paid off entirely in order to be able to get a new phone.

I'm a bit frustrated that through no fault of my own I now have to get a phone I didn't want in the first place and I have to be stuck with it for longer than I would like. For now, I would like to get the next Galaxy when it eventually comes out (perhaps the S8 in Aprilish of 2017) unless that phone also has issues like the Note does. I would appreciate it if as a goodwill gesture, Verizon lowered the threshold in order to trade in either a Galaxy or iPhone to something like 25% which would then allow us to trade the phone in towards an S8 in approximately 6 months if that's what we choose to do. Otherwise we would be stuck paying a sizable chunk of money out of pocket to get to 50% or keep the phone for an additional 6 months.

I was quite happy with the S6 when I had it and traded it early as I had seen fantastic reviews for the Note 7. Obviously if I had known that the Note 7 wasn't a viable option, I would have just kept the S6 until next year.

Verizon - I'm hoping you can work with your customers to make those of us that purchased a Note 7 happy and comfortable with the choice we make for a replacement phone.

When I called and spoke to a representative, I was told that the recall was voluntary. This maybe true, but who wants a phone that has had as many safety issues as this phone has had? I've been very happy with mine so far, but I'm not willing to risk my safety or my family's on a hope that my phone won't explode or catch fire. I also would not want a phone that is banned by the FAA.

PS - I couldn't find a link anywhere to email customer service with a question/concern.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Note 7 - Second Recall
josepht_vzw
Verizon Employee
csun22,

We completely understand your concern. Although the recall is voluntary, we do recommend it. Currently we do have a promotion to assist with the upgrade process. If you upgrade from your Note7 to a Samsung device, you will receive a $100 credit to your bill in 1-2 bill cycles. If you upgrade to a non-Samsung device, you'll get a $25 bill credit.

What phone appeals to you the most? What do you do on your phone?

0 Likes
ChrisDG74
Enthusiast - Level 3

How many times are you guys going to copy and paste from your scripts. Our questions are not being answered. NONE, ZERO, NONE, of the current phones you offer are comparable to the Note 7. They are ALL DOWNGRADES. We refuse to be locked in to an inferior device, through no fault of our own. Other carriers are taking pre-orders on the LG V20, which is the ONLY suitable replacement for our Notes. Either Verizon lets us pre-order the V20, or they will see people leave in droves for the other carriers.

I fully expect another copy-and-paste response from someone_vzw.

0 Likes
csun22
Enthusiast - Level 2

If I'm being honest, there isn't one phone that appeals to me more than any of the other ones that are available right now. As I had stated, the Note 7 was very appealing to me when it was announced and released which is why I paid to get out of my Galaxy S6 early. Now my choices are to downgrade to an older Galaxy phone or pick a competitor. If we had the ability to trade in a replacement device earlier than the standard 50% or 6 months, it would make the process a lot easier for some of us. Heck, some of us might even like the competitor's phone so much we stick with it for 2+ years. My concern (which I'm sure a lot of us have) is being locked into a phone which wasn't our first choice for an extended period of time. I know its not standard practice to let customers out of their agreements early, but this is a unique situation which I believe warrants a unique solution to help alleviate stress and concerns.

If I was able to get out of a phone early (such as after 25% of the phone was paid off or 6 months instead of 50% or a year) I would gladly waive the bill credit being offered. This would also make my decision much easier and I would have no issue picking a replacement phone.

0 Likes
DCGUCCI1
Enthusiast - Level 3

if the recall is voluntary...we can just keep our note 7's until something becomes available next year... ?

0 Likes
Domg54
Enthusiast - Level 1

Josept_vzw, let's be honest as is it not Samsung offering the $25 and $100 and Verizon is passing it through to the customer?  Second, ChrisDG74 is correct in saying there is no current phone that most Note 7 users will accept as an equal so any exchange in phones will be thought of as a downgrade.  I waited 2-1/2 years for the Note 7.  I could have picked up a Samsung 7S Edge much earlier but do not really care for it.  It seems too gimmicky.  Don't care for an Iphone, The new Google phones don't take a MicroSD card.  The LG V20 probably is the closest thing to the Note 7, however, there are trade off's with it as well.

If Verizon wants to score major kudos to its customers, especially the Note 7 customers, it will allow Note 7 phones to be switched out but the customers get to keep their upgrade eligibility option.  Right now Note 7 owners are forced to decide to turn in their Note 7, downgrade to a less desirable phone and lose the upgrade eligibility or keep their Note 7 phones until a phone comes out they truly want at a possible safety risk.  This is not a good position for Verizon to be putting its customers in. 

Verizon, do the right thing and let customers keep their upgrade eligibility while still trading in for a "temporary" phone.  Happiness and harmony...

DCGUCCI1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I need a phone that has the pen attachment, which right now I think is the note 5 , I am not going to get into a two year contract on a note 5... no way !!

0 Likes
csun22
Enthusiast - Level 2

My understanding is that the recall is voluntary, but I'm sure most if not all of us are more concerned with safety and would rather turn in the phone rather than be one of the unlucky ones that have dealt with a fire/explosion.

Its the "being stuck with a phone I didn't want in the first place for longer than I'd like" that is a huge concern.....for me at least.

jenniferh_vzw
Verizon Employee

I do understand your concern and hesitation, DCGUCCI1. For your safety and the safety of others around you, I strongly encourage you to power down your Note 7 and process the return or exchange. There are more details at https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-note7-recall-faqs/ to help with the process. While the S-Pen is exclusive to the Note line, many current devices do support the use of a stylus. There are a number of universal stylus accessories available at https://www.verizonwireless.com/search/vzwSearch?Ntt=stylus&nav=Global&gTab=20 that may fit your needs.

Thank you

JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DCGUCCI1
Enthusiast - Level 3

sure i'll carry around a separate stylus in my pocket so it gets lost or cant find it when I need it...im keeping it till they make it mandatory. what I have been offered for an "upgrade" is laughable. I'm not getting in another two yr contract with a phone I don't want

0 Likes