Galaxy Note 8 Trade-In Promotion - Scam?
ewillis
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verzion and/or Samsung really did not think through their trade in promotion for the new Galaxy Note 8, or maybe they did and that would make it worse.  At this time after the calamitous Note 7 fires all of us using the Galaxy 7 Edge owe a balance of $462 to payoff our phone in order to upgrade back to the Galaxy Note platform we all loved.  And Verizon is offering a $480 trade in value for that phone when you upgrade.  Seems innocent enough and fair.  However, you need to pay off your phone today and will be out $462 today while that $480 trade in value will take you 24 months to get back at $20 a month and only if you don't upgrade again before that 2 years is up.  On top of that you won't even get the immediate value of $175 applied that their own regular trade in program offers.  You don't get back on par with their regular trade in program for 9 months.  While I think given the Note 7 disaster the $480 should be a first bill credit, you'd think a middle ground would at least be a credit for $187.70 on the first bill and then a bill credit for the remaining $292.30 for 23 months ($12.70/month). 

I was excited and ready to put my pre-order in for the Note 8, but now that I saw the shell game Verizon and Samsun played on us.  I'm out. 

Re: Galaxy Note 8 Trade-In Promotion - Scam?
RACBRO3
Enthusiast - Level 3

AGREED. Those of use forced into a S7E should be able to trade in our S7E for a Note 8 for an equal trade. They can keep their $480 and apply it to my balance.

KINNISON_PHILLIP
Enthusiast - Level 2

They should just allow us to trade in our current replacement phone for no discounts towards the note 8. Im not to concerned about getting a trade in credit. I just want to go back the note platform and if I can just hand them google pixel xl and get the note 8 at full $40 per month price id be happy. I hope this gets noticed and Verizon grows a conscious. It's not hard for them to do this, they just dont want to yet or hoped none of us would care and they would laugh all the way to bank as all of us note users shelled out all this money for a note 8.

RACBRO3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I completely agree! It is a fair trade for them to just keep the trade in money and take back the replacement phone and give us a Note 8 with no discount.

valerie14432
Enthusiast - Level 3

I feel completely scammed by both Verizon & Samsung.  My S5 died and I went 2 months without a phone because I was waiting for the Note 7 to be released.  I pre-ordered it in blue, the night it was available. I received it, loved it.  Then I was forced to exchange it for a black Note 7.  Then it was recalled and we were told our Note 7's would stop working and we HAD to exchange them for another phone, and Samsung promised us that they would make it right for the Note 7 owners if we stayed with Samsung.  I was considering switching to iPhone but decided to stick with Samsung.  So I downgraded to the S7E, which I hate, by the way.  And now the Note 8 is released and we are stuck in a contract with Verizon, and neither Verizon or Samsung won't make it right.  I'm told by both parties I have to pay off my S7E of $495 or wait another 14 months before I can upgrade.  How is that fair at all?  We are stuck with a phone we never wanted in the first place - we were FORCED to downgrade and now we are stuck with what was supposed to be our "temporary" replacement phone.  I'm not happy!  I'm angry, and first chance I get I will be leaving Verizon and switching to iPhone.  Way to lose another long time customer, Verizon & Samsung!  Already shopping around for another service that will buy out my ridiculous Verizon contract.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can sell the Pixel XL for more money through Swappa than what you would get for the trade-in from Verizon Wireless.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

GEOFF4X4
Enthusiast - Level 1

Agreed i just got the run around ive been a note user since day one and was so excited to get my 7 and loved it then twice had to give it up and for what ? This poor excuse of a phone  s7 edge .....Now i see pre order deal on note 8 get excited that i finally might be happy with my phone again .It says return your phone but it "means" pay off the phone and then we will give you a deal . Talk about disloyal to customers and to tell you on the phone its not there fault you signed up to pay your retailer . They forget I didn't choose to give up my note I WAS FORCED TOO! Very upset at both verizon and samsung still have not corrected the injustice from note 7

mama23dogs
Legend

None of the carriers are willing to stick there neck out and fix Samsung's mess.  And rightly so. 

I don't know why everyone feels entitled or why any carrier should bend over when it wasn't their fault the phone was faulty. 

The only accommodation that should have been made by carriers last year, is to return old phones in cases of early upgrades with trade in, in as many cases as possible, rather than upgrading to another new phone being the option.  Even that would have been a burden on the carriers they shouldn't have had to pay for.

0 Likes
ewillis
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mama, Doesn't work that way.  I guess when I want to return something I should go only to the manufacturer and not the store that has my money?  I paid Verizon for the phone, they should fix the problem at their level and use their clout with Samsung to get made whole.  Business 101.

KELC122
Enthusiast - Level 2

ewillis totally agree.  I have been a long life Verizon customer.  I also had the Note 7, loved the phone.  When I had to send it back, our choices were either the S7 or S7 edge which I did not care for.  I went with Google Pixel XL because I like the bigger screens.  Now the only advantage that i have with the Pixel is that I would be one of first to get new operating system.  That is about it!!  I am a Note fan, love the phones.  Since I still owe more than the credit that Samsung is willing to give, it would not make sense at all to go back to the Note.  I am more than upset, that I didn't have many choices at the time when the recall was made.  I wish I could go back to the Note but I can't afford to pay the balance off my Pixel.  Is it fair to us customers that this was a world wide recall?  NO!!!  I hope Verizon makes good for us Note 7 customers!!!  Let's get the point across to them and see where it leads us!!!!!