Re: Galaxy Note 8 Trade-In Promotion - Scam?
cehogan483
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree the trade-in promo from Verizon is garbage.  Look at the Samsung site for previous Note 7 users: http://www.samsung.com/us/galaxy/note8/Note7Promo/#

I am just going to payoff Verizon and buy straight from Samsung.  They will give me $425 for returning my phone to them and they will give it all to me at once.  The way I calculate it, I pay $462 for my payout no matter what.  After that, Verizon will charge me $480 only if I stay with the Note 8 for 2 years but ultimately I will still be paying $40 per month for 2 years.  Or I pay Samsung $535 but if I pay them the $40 I would have paid Verizon, it will be paid off in 14 months and then I can upgrade.  In 12 months when the next Note comes out, my payoff amount would be $55 with the Samsung deal but would be $480 with Verizon.

Since Verizon doesn't want to be fair, they won't get that money...I will give it straight to Samsung who doesn't seem to be interested in playing games with anyone and especially not previous Note 7 users.

ewillis
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hogan, I thought the same thing at first with the samsung deal.  But if you compare the timing of things you get to pretty much the same place with either the samsung or Verizon deals.  In both you are out a lot of money now and need to wait 2 years to get it back.  Samsung is giving you the full trade in now but offsetting the amount you'll finance, so you don't have that money now to fund the payoff of your old phone. Only real differences between them is a little less cash with samsung deal but at least you aren't locked in for 2 years.

theKrkn
Enthusiast - Level 1

They should just allow us to trade in our current replacement phone for no discounts towards the note 8... I just want to go back the note platform and if I can just hand them google pixel xl and get the note 8 at full $40 per month price id be happy.

I think this is exactly what we would all expect. We had to switch away from the N7, and I feel Verizon did as good as they could about that (I switched to the Pixel), so what feels equitable is just being able to switch back to the Note8 and, if paying for the device monthly, just continue with the Note8 for the next 2 years. If you switch after a year, that would be the point at which you'd pay off the balance of the Note8. But both Samsung and Verizon's offers require a big outlay up front in order to switch. If they gave you essentially cash value to pay off your phone, which is what they make it sound like, then you'd be fine, but the fact that they just credit it to the financing of the new phone makes it good for them, not so much for us. We'd rather switch for no cost now, and perhaps have to pay off the other half in a year.

valerie14432
Enthusiast - Level 3

Let's connect on FB and get Justice for Samsung Galaxy Note 7 customers - Home | Facebook

This is not right what Verizon & Samsung are doing - it is not FAIR and we need to fight this!  Power in numbers!

travisryans
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have to agree, we should get the 8 swapped out evenly for the phone we were forced into.  In my case it is the 7 edge.  This phone was already a year old when I was forced to turn in the BEAUTIFUL note 7 (the second time).  In the tech world a year is a VERY long time.  This is plain old not fair to note 7 owners.

Thank you for your time.

mama23dogs
Legend

ewillis wrote:

Mama, Doesn't work that way. I guess when I want to return something I should go only to the manufacturer and not the store that has my money? I paid Verizon for the phone, they should fix the problem at their level and use their clout with Samsung to get made whole. Business 101.

You could have returned the Note 7 for full refund.  You could have gone back to an old phone.  I see no reason for any carrier to pay for Samsung screw up and your personal choices. 

Verizon's return period is 14 days.  (All carriers actually).  one year later is not a "return", it's a trade in.  And Verizon is not offering one, Samsung is.  So, yeah, this IS the way it works.

I find it interesting that the only retailers that customers continually hold responsible for a third party product are cell carriers.  No one blames Walmart or looks for a freebie when a car seat gets recalled.  I suppose it's the carriers fault for creating a dependent relationship for several decades. 

matthewzim1988
Enthusiast - Level 2

It would be awesome to just be able to walk away from the phones we have now and get the note 8s I feel like its a pretty simple concept. Just even as an I know your a loyal customer since you stuck with us through this fiasco that was the note 7. I know its not verizons fault but just as a thank you for not bailing on us would be appreciated by all.

MURPH622
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also, my S7 edge is the only phone out of 4 on my plan that has to be paid 100% in order to upgrade. The rest can be traded in after 50% of the phone has been paid. Something is not right here.

jaapplen
Enthusiast - Level 2

What's worse is that the Note 7 DID qualify for the Samsung annual upgrade program at the time we first got the Note 7.  I had asked this question because it was my first Note and I was unsure if I would like it or not.  Turns out I loved it right away.  Trading in my S6 Edge seemed like the best decision.  Our problem is that the recalls gave us our S7 Edge after the annual upgrade was offered.

Although they scrubbed any reference to the Note 7, they mention the S7s and dates in the Verizon FAQs right now.

***What's the annual upgrade program for Samsung devices?

-The annual upgrade program allows customers purchasing eligible Samsung devices to turn in that device after 30 days and payment of at least 50% to upgrade to a new eligible smartphone on a device payment agreement.

***I have other smartphones on device payment agreements. Are they eligible for early upgrades too?

-Maybe. It depends on when you purchased your device.

-Samsung S7 and Samsung S7 edge, purchased on a device payment agreement on or before 9/10/2016 are eligible for the Annual Upgrade program.

-The Annual Upgrade program is no longer available for Samsung S7 and Samsung S7 edge devices purchased on or after 9/11/2016.

We all could have got a Note 8 once it hit 50% paid, if we just kept the first Note 7.  At the very least, grandfather our S7s to match the purchase date of our 1st Note 7.

Bern612
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been holding out from writing this, but Verizon wouldn't listen to my complaint.

Aug 3 2016 Note  7 release date

Sept 9 U.s Consumer Product Safety Commission Urges Note & users to stop using Note 7

Verizon we site.Early upgrade program. :

Purchased and activated an eligible Samsung device on a Verizon Wireless device payment agreement. Eligible devices:

1. Galaxy S8, and S8+
  2. Galaxy S7 and S7 edge purchased on or before September 10, 2016

Sept 15 Formal Recall

point is i find it strange they stooped the Annual upgrade program right before the recall was Formally announced. Good way to make us sign 2 year contracts, and [Removed] at same time

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator