Galaxy Note II Call Sound Quality
octobat

Hi,

I have a GN2, when I make a call in a big room with no carpeting or sound proofing material, the person on the other end of the line has difficulty understanding what I'm saying.  According to the person, my sound sounds "muffled", over-amplified, like underwater, unclear.  Words that are similar are very hard to discern.  For ex:  I said I feel FAT, it was heard as I feel bad or sad.  I tried to say RAW, it was heard as LA.  Sometimes I'm told I'm mumbling.  It's as if my lips are right next to the mic.  This does not happen when I'm in a smaller room, or in my car.  And while in the big room, if I switch to speakerphone, the sound is fine.  This to me sounds like there's an issue with the mic, where the gain is too much.  I've already tried noise reduction both on and off, doesn't make a difference.

Any suggestions?  Any help would be much appreciated.  This has been very frustrating.  Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Note II Call Sound Quality
octobat

Anyone?  Or perhaps had similar experience with a different phone?  Please help!

Thanks.  Smiley Happy

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i haven't had this issue. my living room is all tile with vaulted ceilings and nobody has ever complained about not being able to hear or understand me? is it a particular room, or just any large spaces? is it fine outdoors?

0 Likes
octobat

I'm in a bedroom, hardwood floors, no carpeting.  Big room, and yes generally when I'm in large spaces I get the same complaint.  It is fine outside though.  I'm wondering if the GN2 or just the Samsungs in general have some kind of ambient sound sensor that detects the feedbacks in an area and adjusts the mic input accordingly?  If that's the case, maybe there's a way to defeat or disable this sensor, or perhaps find a way to manually adjust the mic gain level?

Thanks.

0 Likes
pkdennis
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just took my Note 2 to the Verizon store for this very problem. Go to Phone > Menu > Call Settings and UNCHECK Voice Privacy at the bottom of the menu. Then take a can of spray air (3M Dust Remover) and zap the microphone which is a teeny hole to the left of the USB receptacle at the bottom of the phone. They said this gets clogged easily and will muffle the sound. I no longer have this problem. Smiley Happy