Hotspot won't turn on
Blaise17
Enthusiast - Level 1

My family has 4 lines, each of which have an unlimited plan: 2 with 5G Play More, and 2 with 5G basic. The Play More plan includes the mobile hotspot feature, and this works fine on one of the phones that has it (a Samsung Galaxy S21 5G). But the other Play More line, a Samsung note 9, does not work

When I try to turn hotspot on, I get the usual "Please wait while verifying" message, though this message is displayed longer, say 5-10 sec, than on the phone whose hotspot works, which displays the message for perhaps 2 seconds.

The Note9 then displays the message "Unable to connect Data connection not available".

Both phones have a 4 or 5 bars of 4G signal, and the Note's hotspot has worked in the past but perhaps not since the switch to the unlimited plan. That is, I'm not sure whether we tried hotspot on the Note after the plan upgrade.

And yet the S21 connects without a problem - what's up with that??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Hotspot won't turn on
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I rely on my hotspot daily and want to ensure you can use yours without any issues, Blaise17. Let's take a closer look into what's going on. Please power the Note 9 off and back on. Once on, make sure Wi-Fi is turned off and cellular data is on. Next, attempt to turn on the hotspot and let us know what happens. When was your plan changed? Are you able to use data to browse the web and use apps with Wi-Fi off? -Danielle

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I rely on my hotspot daily and want to ensure you can use yours without any issues, Blaise17. Let's take a closer look into what's going on. Please power the Note 9 off and back on. Once on, make sure Wi-Fi is turned off and cellular data is on. Next, attempt to turn on the hotspot and let us know what happens. When was your plan changed? Are you able to use data to browse the web and use apps with Wi-Fi off? -Danielle

0 Likes
Blaise17
Enthusiast - Level 1

@vzw_customer_support  Hi, thanks so much for your prompt response. The problem was that cellular data was turned off. My wife said she tapped that icon by mistake when turning the hotspot on. I did not suspect data being off because she was receiving text messages and emails. But what I didn't know was that she had connected to the camp ground WiFi!

Again, thanks for the super prompt and response and the dead-on solution!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You're most welcome, Blaise17! It's always our pleasure to assist. Help is also at your fingertips with the My Verizon app: m.vzw.com/m/myverizonapp. Have a great day, and thanks for being the best part of Verizon Wireless! -Tracy

0 Likes