How do I get my proximity sensor working again?
BIBLEHARMONY

After I updated to the 6.01 version, my proximity sensor began to act up. When I am in a call and put the phone to my ear, the screen turns off as expected. But, when I pull the phone away, the screen stays off. It has never acted like that. I did a factory reset, but no change.

Others have reported this problem on the Google forums, but I wanted to see if other Verizon Note 4 users were having this issue. I'm not sure if the sensor is bad, or if it's a bug in Marshmallow. It didn't do this before the update, so it's hard to imagine it's a bad sensor.

I would appreciate any feedback or help if you have a way to fix it. I tried an app from the Play Store to test the sensor. It shows that once the sensor sees something "near", it stays in that state even if you pull your hand away. It is supposed to go back to "far" when you pull away. Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Proximity sensor not working correctly after 6.01 update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks you for reaching out on the Verizon Wireless community, BIBLEHARMONY. No damage to the phone is always a great sign. Do you have a screen protector on your phone? If you do, please remove it and test.

If you do not have a screen protector, or if issues continue when you remove it please use the Software Repair Assistant tool to ensure that your software update is properly installed. This is the next best step as you indicate that issue started after software update. See this link for instructions: http://spr.ly/6583BtXqU

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The proximity sensor is an important feature on our devices BIBLEHARMONY. I'm sorry to hear yours is not working as expected after the update. Is there any water or physical damage to the device? If you have no damage to your device, we will need to discuss this further via phone call to provide you with the next best step for resolving this issue.

KinquanaH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BIBLEHARMONY

Hello and thank you for the reply. There is no damage to the phone. It looks brand new. This didn't happen until the 6.01 update, so I am pretty sure it's a software problem. This issue really does cause a big issue in effectively handling calls. What is our next step?

Thanks again!

Gerald

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks you for reaching out on the Verizon Wireless community, BIBLEHARMONY. No damage to the phone is always a great sign. Do you have a screen protector on your phone? If you do, please remove it and test.

If you do not have a screen protector, or if issues continue when you remove it please use the Software Repair Assistant tool to ensure that your software update is properly installed. This is the next best step as you indicate that issue started after software update. See this link for instructions: http://spr.ly/6583BtXqU

AntonioC_VZW

0 Likes