How do I prevent a "Contacts Stopped" error on my device?
dialtone30019
Enthusiast - Level 2

Samsung Note 3 with latest updates. Since the update, Phone has worked as expected. Tonight, I tried to make a call and the Phone App closed with a pop-up that said, Unfortunately, Contacts has stopped.

If I open Contacts, I seem to be able to make a call.

I have tried all the 'usual' clear Cache and/or Data from Contacts, Contacts Storage, Google Plus.

I have removed the updates from Google Plus and disabled it.

I removed and re-added Google Account.

I booted to Safe Mode. and rebooted in between many of the above mentioned items.

I can not open the Phone App to make a phone call.

This is painful

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Phone closes with Contacts Stopped eror
dialtone30019
Enthusiast - Level 2

I read about Wiping the Internal Cache on a Note 3 to 'fix' a constant GPS polling issue. (something that I too had). So I said what the heck, that's easier than a Factory Reset.

So I did it.

I can now access the Phone and and bounce around in the Contacts app without crashing it. I'm not sure if it will fix the lock screen issue I noticed randomly, but I have my fingers crossed.

Wipe Cache Partition Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Verizon Wireless

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

What happens when you put  it in safe mode?

0 Likes
dialtone30019
Enthusiast - Level 2

When the phone is in Safe Mode and I start the Phone App, it closes with the same error. No difference.

0 Likes
dialtone30019
Enthusiast - Level 2

I should have also stated that while I can open the Contacts and make a call from there, I cannot navigate from the Main CONTACTS list. If I select Favorites, Recent, or KeyPad it will close with the "Contacts has Stopped" error.

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

Ready for full backup/ fdr?

0 Likes
dialtone30019
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not if there's a less painful way. From what my gut is telling me, I'm not going to get a solution. So, if you have some advice for me as to how best to do all this, I'm listening. I have backed up the contacts at least a couple of times. So what other items should I pay attention to and move off or back up?

Thanks

0 Likes
dialtone30019
Enthusiast - Level 2

I read about Wiping the Internal Cache on a Note 3 to 'fix' a constant GPS polling issue. (something that I too had). So I said what the heck, that's easier than a Factory Reset.

So I did it.

I can now access the Phone and and bounce around in the Contacts app without crashing it. I'm not sure if it will fix the lock screen issue I noticed randomly, but I have my fingers crossed.

Wipe Cache Partition Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes