How to disable screen from turning on when SMS is received?
Kenetor

This is so annoying.  The Samsung messaging app does not allow you to disable the screen from turning on.  Does someone know how to get the phone to disable the screen from turning on when an SMS is received without using another messaging client?  Everytime I receive a message the screen turns on.  And if my phone is in my pocket, I've inadvertantly activated various things while it turned on the screen in my pocket and when I remove the phone from my pocket I will activate things because the screen turned on while the dawgon phone was in my pocket.  What kind of morons write this software?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to disable screen from turning on when SMS is received?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Open the Messages app, tap the Menu button (the three vertical dots in the upper right-hand corner), then tap Settings, then tap Notifications,, then use the slide at the top right of the screen to turn notifications Off.

The downside is that all notifications are now turned off, so not only will the screen not light up, but you also won't get your text alert sound nor will the LED light up.

A workaround is to leave the notifications turned off, then install Light Flow (I've always used Light Flow Lite) from the Play Store.  Enable it for MMS and SMS messages with whatever color you prefer for your LED.  You still won't get sound notifications that you've received a text, but you will see the LED light up ... and the screen will stay dark.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You have to change the notifications in the settings for your texting app. Having it turn the screen on to alert you of a message is one of the settings.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Open the Messages app, tap the Menu button (the three vertical dots in the upper right-hand corner), then tap Settings, then tap Notifications,, then use the slide at the top right of the screen to turn notifications Off.

The downside is that all notifications are now turned off, so not only will the screen not light up, but you also won't get your text alert sound nor will the LED light up.

A workaround is to leave the notifications turned off, then install Light Flow (I've always used Light Flow Lite) from the Play Store.  Enable it for MMS and SMS messages with whatever color you prefer for your LED.  You still won't get sound notifications that you've received a text, but you will see the LED light up ... and the screen will stay dark.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Of course, the settings needed to limit the popup screen would depend on the messaging app which is being used. Some apps will give you separate setting for the popup screen and sound/led/vibrate notifications. This is why I did not go into further detail with the instructions as the messaging app being used was not indicated.

For example, I use Verizon Message+. There are separate notification check boxes for notifications in the status bar, vibrate, a pop-up screen if the phone screen is already on and a pop-up screen if the phone screen is not already on. Other messaging apps I have used in the past such as Handcent also have similar notification settings.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The user indicated they are using the Samsung messaging app, so those are the steps provided.    The Samsung text app does allow you to change notifications regarding pop-ups and other options, as you mentioned, but the only way to keep the screen from briefly coming on is to turn the notifications off (a Samsung quirk that's been discussed elsewhere on the forum).

They also indicated they didn't want to use a different messaging app, so that's why the workaround was provided.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

tikibar1 wrote:

The user indicated they are using the Samsung messaging app,

I see that now, must have skipped over that before.Smiley Happy

B33
Legend

R.C. A thesaurus of information. we learn everyday..

0 Likes