How to turn off this new sound?
WTTTT
Enthusiast - Level 2

This just started this week.  I have not adjusted any settings for quite a while so I am pretty sure I did not do anything to cause it.

Since getting my Note 3 in October I use the voice method of inputting text for email and sms quite often.  When starting a message where I want to voice inpput, I click the microphone button and speak what I want to send.  Works well.  Thursday the phone started making a loud, very annoying, beep type sound whenever I launch this by clicking the microphone.  It happens even when the phone is in silent mode.  I checked the sound options in the phone settings and everything is set as it has always been. All system and keyboard sounds are turned off. I also tried another keyboard app rather than the phone default and it is the same with that.

Does anyone have an idea why this started and how to silence it?  Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: How to turn off this new sound?
JRAHNBO2
Contributor - Level 2

Might try setting defaults by long pressing the microphone then the settings gear icon and then scroll down to Reset Settings. I haven't messed around with most of those settings and it works as desired with the beep only on when not in silent mode. I like the beep to be on personally because when I'm not able to look at the phone I know its ready to listen. Otherwise it doesn't beep if the global sound is turned off. I guess that might solve half the problem and of course you would have to set back your preferences that get reset.  As for settings getting changed  I know one thing is sometimes if I rotate the phone with the screen on and accidentally touch the screen at the same time then any number of random things can happen such that I'm considering turning off auto-rotate on turning down the screen sensitivity.

0 Likes
WTTTT
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks but that did not work.  It did reset everything so I then turned off all keyboard sounds again but the beep still continues.  I don't think it is specific to the Samsung Keyboard as I also installed Smart Keyboard and it does it when that one is active also.

As to why it just started, if what you say about the auto-rotate and touching is correct, that could happen sometimes as I do use auto rotate all the time.  If auto rotate is off, isn't it very inconvenient?  I like being able to rotate the phone and get full screen video of just a larger font on a web page.

0 Likes
JRAHNBO2
Contributor - Level 2

Turning off auto-rotate is annoying but at least there is a toggle for it in the two-finger pull down menu.

0 Likes
WTTTT
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just found another post on this exact issue on another forum.  Same exact thing and it just started for him this week also.  So looking like maybe something updated automatically that caused this?

0 Likes
WTTTT
Enthusiast - Level 2

I looked at my apps to see what recently updated.  One of the recent  updates was to Google Search.  I uninstalled all the updates to Google  Search and the problem is gone.  So it is a bug in the most recent  update to Google Search that turns on that sound with no way to turn it  off.

0 Likes
JRAHNBO2
Contributor - Level 2

Glad you figured it out. I haven't updated mine since I got the phone as I tend to never update anything unless I really have to or there is a compelling new feature.  Looking at the reviews for the latest version I see there are many complaints about the microphone being entirely broken.

0 Likes
WTTTT
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have allowed most apps to auto update.  Not the best idea, I know, but I got really annoyed before I did that because my phone was ALWAYS reminding me about all the apps that were not up to date.

0 Likes