I continue to have data usage while on wifi
nohelpveryfrustrated

2 weeks into my billing cycle I used all of my data - I have had a cell phone for years and I have never done that. Come to find out Verizon is charging me data usage while I am on wifi, even at my home. Many phone calls and several hours of my time Verizon advised the phone (2 months old - went from an iphone 5 to a galaxy note 4) was defective. I received my new phone and after more hours of getting things switched over I noticed that I am STILL BEING CHARGED FOR DATA USAGE WHILE ON WIFI!!!!! This is obviously not a phone issue but a Verizon issue. What is going on with Verizon????? I do not have the energy or patience to call and spend hours and hours trying to get this figured out. Has anyone found a suitable solution because obviously I am not the only one.

0 Likes
Re: I continue to have data usage while on wifi
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Turn off your cellular service while connected to Wi-Fi. You may find that it's actually a Wi-Fi issue. If you're connected to Wi-Fi and it drops out for a minute, your cellular service will pick up the gaps so a video will stream seamlessly. In turn it will show you're using data while on Wi-Fi. It could also be that on your bill, if you're looking at your data usage, that it's not when you're actually using it that's being reported, it's just that it was reported at that time.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
nohelpveryfrustrated,

Using all of your data within two weeks of the bill cycle can be alarming. We are here to help get down to the bottom of this. Do you know at the time you were using the phone that it was connected to WIFI? When the WIFI connections drop the phone will automatically switch to network data automatically unless turned off. Have you had the opportunity to take a look at our data utilization tool to see how that data was used? http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/data-utilization-faqs/ We only calculate data when the phone connects to the network. Please keep us posted.

TionnaB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
OvertheBull

This is some type of joke right ?

I bust switched over from spring last week and have gone from 3 lines using 6gb of data barely, to in less than a week of being with Verizon I've used almost 8gigs with only two lines.....? What's this I'm now learning that Verizon still sucks up data even while I'm on my WiFi ?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

If you don't turn off your cellular data and have a poor Wi-Fi connection it certainly can. I think I've seen a device or two that have a wi-fi setting that says not to, but I don't recall where I saw that or if it was old news. That's why you turn off automatic updates and cellular data off and always make sure you close out of apps and nothing gets stuck in the sending or receiving mode.

0 Likes
OvertheBull

So wait......your telling me when I get out of my car and walk into my house I now have to pull out my phone and go into the setting and turn cellular data off ?

And vice a versa when I'm walking out of my house and or office ?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Oh no, you certainly don't HAVE to. It does take about 2 seconds to do, so I could see where people wouldn't have time, but there is usually a mobile data quick button

data.png

0 Likes
OvertheBull

Sure it's ez to make a joke out of it like it's no big deal but coming from an s5 with sprint and not having to do that and now on the same unit with Verizon and now suddenly it being a thing, and it being 2015  and phones automatically not suckining data while on wifi it seems like a set up that's all

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Verizon has more coverage which typically will not only cause users to use the internet more frequently, but at faster speeds, which does create extra data usage. If you use 3G you'll use less data than on 4G.

Under settings>usage what does it say are your highest using apps and at what amount?

0 Likes