I did the system update on my note 5 now my WiFi won't work
Dano1321
Enthusiast - Level 2

HELP! I don't want to do a factory reset on my phone but the WiFi does not work since I did the update . I have changed all the settings in my router and the phone. What do u suggest?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I did the system update on my note 5 now my WiFi won't work
DayzdnConfused
Enthusiast - Level 2

Factory Reset and not allowing Google to restore any saved settings ended up resolving the issue for me.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
carol_vzw
Verizon Employee

Hi Dano1321

Thank you for your post. Would you please let us know the router model you are using, current firmware and the current router settings so that Samsung can try to reproduce this issue? Also please describe the issue - are you not able to connect? Are you experiencing disconnects or another issue. Thanks.

0 Likes
mc011005
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same issue. My bluetooth is also dropping constantly when connected to my leap wireless yurbuds. My screen is also going black for no reason. I took my phone to Verizon they said they had no solution. I took it to the samsung counter at bestbuy they said that i need to reinstall the update because when they rebooted in safe mode they saw the update start up again so it had a flawed install. Problem is Samsung doesn't have the verizon version of the update yet to help with this. How can i re-download it and install it again

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dano1321, Wi-Fi is an awesome way to save data, so lets get you connected again. How long ago did you do the update? Can other devices connect to the Wi-Fi?

MarcusS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
smolkowski
Enthusiast - Level 2

I updated just yesterday, and now I too have no internet connection over wi-fi.  Sometimes I get an authentication error with wi-fi, but it will usually reconnect if I just tap on the wi-fi network from the settings.  But even when wi-fi remains connected, the internet connection fails.  It fails on multiple routers and services. 

Wi-fi works correctly in safe mode.  In fact, when I boot in normal mode, it works for about a minute, while other apps continue to load.  Then the phone loses internet.  I have tried to disable apps that I know start up (Lux, security software, battery monitor, etc.) but wi-fi still fails.  It may be an internal system process or Verizon-installed app that causes the loss of internet connection, but it would have to be one that does not load in safe mode. 

These options did not help: restarting my phone; forgetting and reestablishing connections to wi-fi services; and changing the DNS, IP address; and gateway, etc.; static or dynamic IP addresses.  Others have factory-reset their phones with no luck.  Factory reset is often recommended, but I have not found it to solve other problems, either.  I see that as that support person's way of saying "here, I'll give you something that will take lots of effort to get your phone back to the way it was, so you'll just leave me alone and not call again." 

Incidentally, since the update, Swype now crashes upon opening.  That wasn't my primary keyboard, but will be for many. 

0 Likes
nocturnalraven71

Hi HELP... Having same issues as above. My WiFi and Network error keep coming up and drooping me out of many apps and wont update like Facebook or email. Bluetooth is also not working. I get the msh can't connect or no netowrk. i  have reset all apps and phone also undid wifi connections and re did password ... nothing is working to fix issue... help please Thanks so much

0 Likes
GodspeedFx

Honestly, I do a factory reset after any major OS update (such as 4 to 5, 5 to 6, etc) as a best practice.  Too many times have I seen incompatible apps or bad upgrades cause these types of problems--there is a lot that can go wrong with a major OS update.  Since I started doing that, I've never had any issues and I've done many major updates with phones and tablets using both the OTA and software assisted method.  If you keep good backups using your Google/Samsung/Verizon accounts, it only takes about a half hour to get everything set back up.

0 Likes
rftsr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't think it's too much too ask that Verizon, who are a multi-billion dollar empire, who rushed to be the first US player to update marshallow to Samsung's phones ensure a safe install. The update BRICKED MY PHONE by not allowing it to charge. Even using a new battery didn't work!

I Have safely updated many phones and computers a million different ways. NEVER have I ever had an update DESTROY A device, let alone an $800 phone!

The super messed up part is the take NO accountability for releasing software that can damage your phone.

Why do you think people are migrating in DROVES  to T Mobil? Me being one...fuck Verizon and hope they choke the thousands of dollars I've thrown their Way!

CRiminal activity really...shame on Verizn.

0 Likes
DayzdnConfused
Enthusiast - Level 2

Factory Reset and not allowing Google to restore any saved settings ended up resolving the issue for me.

0 Likes
AshleyToliver
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same exact problem here and I tried both Verizon and Best Buy! So ticked that I'm having to use my data until there is a "fix"

0 Likes