Laggy and random rebooting since Marshmallow
6speed8
Enthusiast - Level 3

Loved my Note 4 until this update. Downloaded it last weekend. For 48 hours, I dealt with it being laggy - particularly texting which I use the stock text app. Monday I decided to do a factory reset. It's better but it's been randomly rebooting all week. I noticed it twice but don't know if it's been doing it while unattended. Then about a half-hour ago which prompted me to come onto the forum, I was looking at a picture that was texted to me and the phone locked up. Then it rebooted on it's own. Once it rebooted, I entered my lock code and it rebooted again. Once it did, I waited a minute or so then unlocked it again and it REBOOTED AGAIN. I waited a minute or so once it rebooted before unlocking it and it's been fine since. I've never seen a phone reboot three times in three minutes. Anyone? Beuler ?  Beuler ? 

0 Likes
Re: Laggy and random rebooting since Marshmallow
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to love your phone all over again. Software updates are designed to enhance your  Note 4. It is common for users to have to try a soft or factory reset to get the phone back to normal after completing an update. Since you have already tried these steps it's time to look into the 3rd party applications. After you reset the phone did you install the same applications that you had before the update?

SheritaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
6speed8
Enthusiast - Level 3

I reinstalled all the same apps with the exception of two additional ones. Please not though, it has rebooted on it's own a few times prior to the update and installing the two additional apps. I just never saw it do the three reboots in three minutes. Also prior to the update, I would notice at certain times of the day, it would wake up on it's own. I noticed many a time while sitting idle, the screen lit up on it's own, particularly around 4pm and 9pm.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That can be frustrating when your phone begins to behave unexpectedly! Are you doing anything in particular when you see it reboot like this?

JosephT_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
6speed8
Enthusiast - Level 3

Three nights ago, June 21st, it did the triple reboot thing again. So much so that since my battery was only at around 20%, the triple reboot forced it to turn off drained after the third one. The first time when I originally posted, I was opening a text. This time I was opening the Tumblr app - which is one of the only two added apps after the Marshmallow update. The other was Avast Cache cleaner. I decided to delete both to see if there is any change. We'll see since it was 12 days since the first occurrence and I posted about it. Overall, nothing seems to have changed. Texting is very laggy still (stock texting app) Whenever I use the keyboard, calculator, phone keyboard, enter unlock code,etc, it is still laggy. Nothing is as immediate as it was prior to the update and it's getting really frustrating. I even uninstalled my SD card - which is the same one used before the update and I removed it entirely while the update was downloading. I still maintain the phone as I always do. Restart it each night and update any apps that need updating. Clear the phone Cache partition at least once a week. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED this phone before the update. Now I'm so frustrated, I'm on the verge of demanding a replacement or upgrade at Verizon's expense. I've been a Verizon customer since 2004 and have always loved it, but this is bad....

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate your long time loyalty, 6speed8. Clearing the cache partition is a great step. Normally after a software update, the phone can take up to 48 hours to optimize. Since you have already passed this time frame, I recommend using the software repair tool to reload the software. http://spr.ly/6588BQIuq

AndreaS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
6speed8
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok I just went through all that. I installed and updated the Software Upgrade Assistant. Whether I select "upgrade" or "repair" I get the same message:   " Your device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware". It is 8pm CST Sunday evening. I will try ANOTHER factory reset. If nothing changes, I will be on the phone with customer service in the morning. Thanks for your help..

The_Sim
Contributor - Level 1

'triple rebooting @ 20%' could mean you just need a new battery - it will make your phone amazing again. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
6speed8
Enthusiast - Level 3

The battery is fine. Usually 8-10+ hours with heavy use. 12-14 if I'm home all day on wifi. It just happened to do that reboot thing with a low battery. When it happened with battery life above that, the power-down didn't happen.

I did another hard reset last night and so far it seems to be the phone I love once again. If that's the case, then I;ll shut up Smiley Happy

6speed8
Enthusiast - Level 3

Guess I'm not shutting up lol. Triple reboot again last night. All I was doing was scrolling through the Application Manager. Otherwise it was working beautifully all day. Just got off the phone with Verizon. Tech seems to think the reset straightened out the software lag but the reboot seems more like a power issue. Bad switch? Who knows but they're overnighting me a new phone. Thanks Verizon  !!