Re: Lollipop upgrade ruined my Note 3 cell signal strength.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for your loyalty and tenure Mitchell! I want you to have the best wireless experience possible always! You indicate that you had no issues in this are with your previous device, did service issues started immediately after activation of your current phone, or days/weeks after activation? No alerts are noted for Cookeville area. How many signal bars do you see on your screen? Is service better outdoors?

AntonioC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response.

This ensures others can benefit from our conversation.

Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bcook30
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to update, I upgraded to Lollipop on April 18.  I have tried clearing cache, but that does not help.  I have been waiting for Verizon to make a fix available but have seen nothing.  When will a fix be available?  My signal strength is still terrible and I am getting very tired of not even being able to send texts from home.

0 Likes
Johnq917
Enthusiast - Level 2

Add me to the list of note 3 user with non existant cell service. Its is horrid! Verizon really needs to fix this issue or stop prompting us with OS upgraded... i was fine with kit kat and wanted nothing to do with lolipop, but i cant stand the multiple prompts every day.

Since lolipop my phone buzzes in and out service everynight i put it on the dresser. Keeps me awake not knowing whether its a text, new voicemail, or just going in and out of service. Then it stops altogether, finally some sleep. Then in the morning it will not force itself to pick up a signal when i get into any normal signal area! I have to reboot the phone every morning if i remember, otherwise it stays off until i realize i am trying to make a call... sooo frustrating.

Even worse is i rely on my cell as a home phone and have no way of people getting in touch with me in case of emergencies or importance, do you have any idea how stressful this is?!?!

Ive tried ALL the troubleshooting steps but nothing works...

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Johnq917,

We want to see you enjoying your device. Could you describe a bit more what you mean by it buzzing in & out of service? Do you see the phone go to No Service? Do you have any issues with call quality when on the phone? Does this only happen in your home?

SandyS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Johnq917
Enthusiast - Level 2

I appreciate that VZW reps are sympathetic, and they want me to enjoy my device but really this problem just needs to be...

1. Acknowledged (like VZW needs to stop playing dumb about being aware) that it is not an isolated problem.

2. Address it and fix it.

or

3. Let us revert back to kit kat.

By "buzzing" in and out i mean I will place the phone in a weak signal area in my home (in this case the night stand to charge). And the phone will beep with the notifications of going from weak signal to no signal. Everytime it goes out of signal the "notification" ringtone sounds. Then when it comes back into a weak signal the "notification" ringtone sounds. It will go through cycle a handful of times, at which the phone, i assume by default, just gives up and stays with "no signal" ("x" next to the signal strength meter). During this time I also get notifications for unchecked voicemails I may have as it goes into and out of service.

This does not only happen in my home but other weak signal areas, like my sisters home, exact issue as stated above, though it happens anywhere in her house.

Prior to this I dont think I can ever remember my phone going into and out of service, or losing service at all, no exaggeration. I am not in no coverage zones, and i havent had any problems with kit kat or any other galaxy device.

To add insult to injury, the phone will not "resuscitate" itself back into calling service once a known normal/strong signal area is around. It will stay with no service (x next to the signal strength meter) until the phone is powered off and then powered back on. So as i said I have to remember to do this in the morning when i wake up, or i go without calls the whole day until i remember to power cycle.

As i said it is very, very stressful to be without reception and wondering if there may be an emergency or something of importance that someone is trying to contact me about.

To a much lesser extent ive had mobile data problems also where the phone needs to be power cycled, but this has only happened a hand full of times (less than 5) and mostly while riding the train.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Johnq917,

Thank you for all of the detail. I took a look at our internal forums as well as the Samsung known issue forums and this issue is not coming up. I would invite you to continue troubleshooting with us directly so that we can identify and address the issue specific to your device that is causing this problem. If you have already completed the steps of wiping the cache partition( http://vz.to/1IDenlU ) and backing up & repairing the OS in Kies( http://bit.ly/1zLG0Gm ) with no change, please reach out to us by phone, chat, facebook or twitter so that we can access your account and look at device diagnostics and/or replacement options.

EricW_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Broot
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issue with my Note 3. Poor reception, no reception, dropped calls, failed SMS. The list goes on. I usually cannot make calls from indoors. I've tried resetting the phone and swapping the SIM card. No improvement. My wife has an iPhone 5S, also on Verizon, and never experiences any of the issues I have.

I want to love this phone, I really do. This Note 3 was great when it was running Jelly Bean, got slightly worse with Kit Kat and is now horrible with Lollipop. It's great for games, or a paper weight. It's no longer any good as a phone. I hate that I'm paying Verizon for service I can't use. I visited a Verizon store and their solution was to sign up for Edge, trade in my phone, and pay $200 for a new phone. Sorry Verizon, but that doesn't cut it.

I've been a Verizon customer with the same account for nearly 15 years. I've never considered leaving until now. My contract is up in a few months. Not sure what I'll do, but AT&T is looking pretty good right now.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Upates are meant to improve your device Broot. I regret to learn of all the difficulties you are experiencing after the recent Lollipop update. I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have taken so far.  When did you update the software on your phone? Do you have a lot of third party applications installed on your phone? If you use your phone in safe mode, do you still experience difficulties? For directions on how to run your phone in safe mode click, http://vz.to/1Huo3gG

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Broot
Enthusiast - Level 2

MichelleS_VZW:

Thank you for your reply. I can't remember the exact date I updated the phone, but I pretty much update immediately after updates are pushed to my device, hoping that the next update will resolve my issues. Yes, I have several third-party apps installed, though like I mentioned, a reset of my phone did not resolve the issue. I'll switched my phone into safe mode and am not currently seeing any improvement in cell reception.

In other forums, I've read this is a compatibility issue between the cell modem and Verizon's LTE service. My phone was manufactured in 2013 and it's my understanding 2014 Note 3s may not be experiencing the same issue because their cell modem hardware has been updated. Is there any truth to that?

Thanks,

Brad

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate the additional information provided Broot. I understand you recently reset your phone. However, if you reinstalled all the same thrid party apps back to your phone, there may be some apps that are no longer compatible with the new software update and cause service issues on your device. 

In regards to the compatibility between cell modem and our LTE service, we have not been advised about his by the manufacture of the device. If you do not see any improvement in signal while running your phone in safe mode, I would suggest to run the Software Repair assistant. For directions on how to do this click, http://vz.to/1N6yVRy

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW

0 Likes