Re: Lollipop upgrade ruined my Note 3 cell signal strength.
seanvb1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree! The 4G signal is very spotty after the update. Prior to the update I had very strong 4G signal everywhere I travel. Now, my phone says 3G more than it says 4G. I feel Verizon should release the Lollipop 5.1.1 update for Note 3. Rumor is that this update fixes the 4G connectivity problems.

verizoncustomersince1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, I'm having the same problems as everyone else:

1.  In spotty coverage areas, I get no service, but a Galaxy S5 next to my phone gets 2 bars of 4G.

2.  If I remain in the spotty coverage area for X amount of time (maybe an hour), when I leave and come back to a great coverage area (adjacent to a cell tower), the phone still thinks it has no coverage and will not perform phone or internet functions until I reboot it.  The "Airplane Mode" option is disabled until I reboot, so I can't just use that.

Both of these problems are potentially life-threatening, and I want them fixed.  I don't want a "we value you as a customer" stuff "support" posting.  I've called about this before, but got nowhere.

There's also a third issue, but I'll post about that in another thread.
3.  "StageFright Detector" app (Zimperium) still shows my phone as having 2 out of 8 vulnerabilities.

kitkathelp
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problems. .... when I tried to get Verizon to help fix it they said it could be the Sim card. They sent me the wrong size sim card. When I Did get the right sized one it didn't help. i have reset my phone several times at the request of Verizon technicians to no avail. Their final solution was that i could BUY a $200 cell repeater station for my house that would use my hardwired Internet connection for my cell phone calls.  leave alone the fact that I would be essentially paying to have my own cell phone signal that I already paid for sent through my Hardwired internet connection eating up my internet bandwidth, it would only work while I was at home. so when I would leave and go somewhere else I would still have weak signal unless I was close to a cell tower.  I've been with Verizon for a long time and have paid for three lines for more than a decade. I bought the note 3 outright  from there and paid for their service for the last 2 years with the expectation that I would have good service. after the lollipop upgrade my service has been shotty at best and their idea of fixing the problem is to have me buy more stuff from them to fix something that they forced onto my phone.

kitkathelp
Enthusiast - Level 1

I forgot to mention. I bought a used Verizon note3 today with kitkat on it.  It works better than my old note3 ruining lollipop.  Both can be sitting right next to each other and kitkat has a signal but the lollipop one doesn't. The problem now is that the dam Verizon software update thing keeps popping up all the time and  there  dose not seem to be anyway to stop it.  so the question to Verizon Technical Support, how can I stop your software from trying to update my phone with your lollipop update? I do not want lollipop on this phone! And I don't want to be asked every few minutes to update it!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

kitkathelp,

We certainly want to make sure you have a phone you can count on. I'm confident we can get your phone working great with the update and we'll be glad to assist you if that is needed. Once a new update comes out all future app updates and support are directed to the new version. Over time having an older version of software can cause many issues and because of that there isn't currently a way to stop the update alerts.

AndrewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Sangalli
Enthusiast - Level 3

So in other words....your new phone is sentenced to DEATH by lollipop!!

Broot
Enthusiast - Level 2

As promised, I jumped ship and went to AT&T.

I was able to transfer both lines and both phones to the AT&T network. My wife's iPhone 5s transferred easily and is 100% compatible with their network. My Verizon Galaxy Note 3 also works on AT&T with two caveats: 1) My 4G service is limited to HSPA+ (no LTE), and 2) Verizon's bloatware, include a warning that a non-Verizon SIM card is installed, cannot be removed.

Still, even with the caveats, I am happy. I have a working phone again - a week in now and I have observed a much stronger signal indoors and outdoors and have not been dropped once. I no longer need to reboot my phone and call quality has been great. HSPA+ speeds have been between 2Mbps and 3Mbps - plenty fast enough to stream movies. All this without reseting my phone's operating system.

Oh, and one more perk - since I own the phones, I get to pay month-to-month and get a discount on service for each line. That alone saves me $30/mo.

Good luck, everyone.

0 Likes
bcook30
Enthusiast - Level 2

Six months after I made this original post I still have no resolution of this problem.  I still miss calls at home and can only occasionally even send and receive text messages from home since my Note 3 was upgraded to lollipop.  None of the four other phones my family has on this plan has this problem. I am fed up with paying over $300 every month and not even having a phone that works at home with another year on my contract.  I need this fixed!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

bcook30, we definitely want you to have a working phone that you can use anywhere. Let's change this around so you can stay connected. Is this happening everywhere or at specific location? How many signal bars are you getting?

ZangY_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bcook30
Enthusiast - Level 2

In response to your questions: my signal is degraded everywhere.  Before upgrading to lollipop, I got about 2 bars at my house.  Now I get no signal or occasionally 1 bar, voice quality of phone calls is bad and I get frequent drops.  I cannot make calls reliably from home unless I use WiFi (VOIP).  I can sometimes send/receive text messages from home and often cannot.  At work, where I used to get 4 bars, I now get 2 bars.  There are times on the road when I guess I am in a particularly strong signal area where I get full signal strength.  Often after being at home with no signal strength, I get on the road and notice that I still have no signal (just an "X" and no bars).  I have to reboot the phone to get a cellular network connection (toggling through airplane mode does not fix it).

I will note that my daughter's Galaxy S4, not upgraded to lollipop, worked just fine at home with no signal strength issues (until it overheated and cracked the LCD), as do the iPhones my other family members have. 

I have cleared the cache multiple times.  I have done a full factory reset twice, which accomplished nothing other than making me manually reinstall all of my applications and data.

The last system update offered for my phone was on August 20, 2015, and I updated my software to "N900VVRUE0F1."  However, this did not fix the cellular connectivity issues.

I bought my Note 3 in September 2014.  I upgraded to Lollipop in May 2015 when my phone prompted me to do so, and I have been dealing with this degraded performance since then.  I would really like this fixed.

0 Likes