Marshmallow Update and the Phone/Contacts app
alchemista2

After the Marshmallow Update, I have had a couple of issues but this is the most annoying and repeatable:

1. Open the Phone app.

2. Click on Recent tab.

3. The screen displays recent for about 1-2 seconds, and then crashes and says "Unfortunately, Contacts has stopped."

This is very annoying because I rely on recent logs.

I have seen another thread that recommended a factory reset. Sorry, but that is unacceptable and not even guaranteed to fix it. I'm not going to wipe all the data and accounts from my phone and then re-set  them up for an issue like this.

How else can I resolve this problem?

This is on a Note 4 but it's an Android app issue so I posted it in general Android as well.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Marshmallow Update and the Phone/Contacts app
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying Safe Mode, alchemista2. We certainly want to explore resolution options. My resources indicate that Repair Assistant is only available from the phone itself. You should be prompted to install the tool when you connect the phone to your computer USB port.

I am a consumer too, and I truly understand your concerns regarding a Factory Reset. If the above step does not provide you the option to get the Repair Assistant tool, then the Factory Reset is the only alternative. You can get additional cloud space at no cost from other sources like Gmail/Google, or others.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

are your contacts in gmail??

0 Likes
alchemista2

I have contacts sync'ed with Gmail.  I just checked and it said sync error on contacts. I re-checked it and then the sync completed. I re-tested the issue and it still occurs.

Also, I opened the Contacts app itself separately and it did not crash.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

delete the gmail account, then recreate it.

0 Likes
alchemista2

Thanks for the idea, but it didn't work. I have 3 Google accounts on the phone. I just removed all of them and tried with them removed, same error. I then added them all back in, same error.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I always use my recent call list when I need to find a number I haven't saved, alchemista2. I understand how dealing with this error makes it difficult to use your phone. I appreciate you testing your Gmail. Do you experience this error while using your phone in Safe Mode? http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-121765/

AndreaS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

alchemista2,

Being able to see your recent contacts is a definite convenience and we want to get this figured out. A similar known issue occurred with a previous software version and was to have since been corrected by Samsung so we're sorry to hear that this is happening with your device. At the time, Samsung advised two things that could be done in order to correct the issue. The first would be to utilize the Software Repair Assistant to ensure the update installed properly and that information can be seen here http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/system_update/galaxys4-srt.pdf. If this does not clear up the issue then, while it may not be the favorable option, a factory reset would be recommended http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-121760/. Prior to performing the reset you can ensure you have all your data backed up by using Verizon Cloud. See how to set that up here http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-78396/.

AdamG_VZW

0 Likes
alchemista2

I tried safe mode and the same error happens.

I tried to download the Repair Assistant from the link in your PDF but the link doesn't work. It says to download from:

https://neofussvr.sslcs.cdngc.net/

But that link doesn't work.Do you have an address?

Factory resets are not recommended. The VZN cloud only has 5GB which is too low for anyone these days, and I'm not going to pay for more. I also don't want to waste time having to backup/restore everything. Last time I did this, I lost 300 levels of a game app I had played Smiley Sad I don't know what I'd lose this time.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying Safe Mode, alchemista2. We certainly want to explore resolution options. My resources indicate that Repair Assistant is only available from the phone itself. You should be prompted to install the tool when you connect the phone to your computer USB port.

I am a consumer too, and I truly understand your concerns regarding a Factory Reset. If the above step does not provide you the option to get the Repair Assistant tool, then the Factory Reset is the only alternative. You can get additional cloud space at no cost from other sources like Gmail/Google, or others.

AntonioC_VZW

0 Likes