Move music and videos to SD card
OREGONBOB
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Galaxy Note 4 for 2-3 years. I am finally filling up my built-in 32GB so I need to move so-me videos and music to the 64GB SD card I purchased. I have tried using "File Manager" -> Move, but instead of moving the files it appears to have only copied it, leaving the original on the built-in memory still occupying space.

I have also tried moving videos/music connected to my Windows 10 PC via USB. When I try that it often fails claiming device is no longer connected. If I want to simply copy files from my phone to my PC, to get files from the SD card I have to unmount/remount the SD card every time I restart the phone.

So in summary: Nothing seems to work as advertised.

I would like to MOVE all my videos and music to my SD card. Is there a better/working way to do this?

0 Likes
Re: Move music and videos to SD card
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

I know it's not the perfect solution, but why can't you delete the originals after using the move function?

Another option would be to install a file manager from the play store that allows you to move them.

0 Likes
OREGONBOB
Enthusiast - Level 1

I may have a bad 64GB memory card, it was inserted in my Note 4 when new and never removed. I get various errors even on read/copy commands. When it fails I unmount the card then remount it and I can see the files on it. After any action like copy, it goes into error again. Strange behavior.

Speaking of errors: I was notified of this post by email as desired. When I clicked any of the links in the email, it came to this domain and produced error:

"Access to this place or content is restricted. If you think this is a mistake, please contact your administrator or the person who directed you here."

Fortunately I saved my own bookmark when I posted the question and that one worked.

Right now I am doing the slow format of the 64GB SD CARD, brand is PNY "Elite", to rule out the card.

0 Likes
OREGONBOB
Enthusiast - Level 1

You also stated:

"I know it's not the perfect solution, but why can't you delete the originals after using the move function?

Another option would be to install a file manager from the play store that allows you to move them"

If I just deleted the moved files I have no assurance the "move" commands completed successfully. When the Move action does it, it only removes the old one upon success status. So "just deleting" is dangerous ricking loss of all music, etc.

I couldn't find the Verizon suggested "My Files" program to move files, So I had "File Manager" on here and first tried that. Later I also tried "My Files" but problem happens on either program.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to us with this concern, OREGONBOB. We understand not wanting to take a risk like this. Let's make sure your music and files are secure. There is no way to tell for sure if the SD Card will work after deleting your original files. We recommend backing up your device to Verizon Cloud. This can provide you with a second alternative to ensure your files are safe. You can also connect your Note 4 to a computer or laptop and put your music files there as well. This would ensure that if the SD card does not work, that you are able to keep your music safe. Let us know if these options work for you.

JavierMD_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes