My phone is a mess since the last update
diagoro
Contributor - Level 1

Chiming in a bit late, but had to note the mess my phone has been since the last update. Don't worry support, I'll be (painfully) reformatting my device soon. But it's a major pain in the rear to do so, and will probably lose a ton of my contacts....again!

So what's going on????
- It's been randomly locking up in 10-15 second spurts. Happens with all different kinds of apps. Example, I'll be typing in Facebook or a text message, the screen will freeze as I'm typing. 20 seconds later it unfreezes and all my text suddenly appears. Have also had this happen playing games, watching video, browsing the web. Pretty much all activities. I deleted the few apps that were installed since the update, but it continues at random times. Sometimes it's one and off for 15 minutes, making the phone unusable, other instances it only happens a few times.

- My notification lights are very sporadic now, especially when the phone is charging. This is also random, but more consistent. The phone will be plugged in with a red light showing, than there's no light. Turns out a text message was received. It does this with other notifications.

- Screen randomly turns on, without any new notification or alert. It just lights up, than times out and goes back off. Extremely random, and happens on and off.

- The phone gets seriously hot at times, hot enough that I can actually smell it. Especially if I use it when while it's charging!!

I'm sure these will magically go away after I reformat the phone!

0 Likes
Re: My phone is a mess since the last update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

diagoro,

We're sorry to hear about the trouble with this new software. I know new software updates can be a hassle sometimes. One thing I'd like you to know about right away is a Samsung tool that you can use to complete backups, restores, updates, & repairs, all without losing any data at all. Just make sure you don't forget that backup step before doing other processes, and you'll be good to go. The tool is called Smart Switch and you can find it here: http://bit.ly/29tbqWQ I would definitely use this tool to make your process easier. One other thing to look into is your available phone storage. If your available storage is very low, which often happens after downloading large update files, you can experience a lot of problems. Do you know how much free storage space you have on your phone?

EricW_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
diagoro
Contributor - Level 1

My storage is fine, using 18 or 32 gigs internally, and 15 of the 60gig card.

I'll look into the software you mentioned. I've tried other 'easy update' options with other Samsung phones, and nothing ever worked. It's not just the data, it's the whole process, basically this will waste a good four hours of my time.......and probably not even work.

0 Likes
diagoro
Contributor - Level 1

Actually, from what I'm reading, Smart Switch is used for moving data between devices, not backing one up. At least I don't see that option in the menu (and the one review I read about backups said it failed completely).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know how important it is to have a functioning device and updates are supposed to help enhance device ability not decrease positive experience. Have you been able to take the device in store to be examined? KleoL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
n900mixalot
Enthusiast - Level 3

This fixed it: turn off Animations. Tap on build number in settings>about phone until developer options is unlocked. Go into developer options. Turn all three animation options to "off" and you won't get that lockup! nilknoc​ was the HERO who fixed this problem on the Note Edge!

0 Likes