New Note 4 marshmallow Update issues
nealgordon
Enthusiast - Level 2

After the Update, battery drain is faster than before and Bluetooth is now the highest power user. Also, in Gear app, I cannot use the AutoLock off function, which allows the phone to de-activate the screen lock when in close proximity to my Samsung Neo 2 watch.

Anyone with a thought on a fix?

Thanks

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New Note 4 marshmallow Update issues
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

nealgordon,

I rely on my battery everyday, I wouldn't be able to function with battery issues. I am confident we can get this resolved. I reached out to Samsung Support and we currently don't have any known issues with the Marshmallow software update for the Note 4. What we have to do is find the root of the problem and fix it. What happened when you did the Extended Battery Life link? Did it help?

There were some reports regarding battery drains but they had all different issues and most of them were related to apps that needed updates or didn't configure with Marshmallow. Make sure all your apps are updated. You can also put your phone on Safe Mode for a few hours and test it. This will help determine if a third-party app is causing the issue. Here's the link: http://goo.gl/7wkDUk.

Keeps us posted.

RyanC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ericb1973
Enthusiast - Level 1

Be aware after the update "power saver mode" was turned off. I had to reactivate it on mine. for the watch go under settings/security/advanced/smart lock. that should pull up your trusted devices and trusted places.

Hope these Help

0 Likes
nealgordon
Enthusiast - Level 2

THanks, I would never have gone that deep to look for those. The Power Saver has helped some. I am still getting heavy Bluetooth poser drain and the De-Activation setting in Gear is not accepting; Its like it is stuck in a loop. I'll call Larry and Sergei to let them know and have them send me a patch.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having a battery thatkeeps you in business for as long as possible is important. We can definitely help extend that time with these great tips:http://vz.to/1r8weuh

JosephT_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
The_Sim
Contributor - Level 1

uh oh, more battery issues again? sounds like I'm going to stick with 5.1.1 for the foreseeable future...

nealgordon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for responding as a representative of Verizon. I would prefer that my service provider - the company that issued the update - instead test software enough to find the major faults in the software they issue. This shouldn't be a matter of user tweaks, but rather an issue of software and OS's that work BETTER than the previous version, not worse. We waited for this to be released, but I gladly would have waited longer for an update that improved my phone. It really shouldn't be that difficult, but your company seems to miss that point.

Where do we go to lists all the bugs (that never should have been) so that you company can issue a patch ASAP?

Thank you

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

nealgordon,

I rely on my battery everyday, I wouldn't be able to function with battery issues. I am confident we can get this resolved. I reached out to Samsung Support and we currently don't have any known issues with the Marshmallow software update for the Note 4. What we have to do is find the root of the problem and fix it. What happened when you did the Extended Battery Life link? Did it help?

There were some reports regarding battery drains but they had all different issues and most of them were related to apps that needed updates or didn't configure with Marshmallow. Make sure all your apps are updated. You can also put your phone on Safe Mode for a few hours and test it. This will help determine if a third-party app is causing the issue. Here's the link: http://goo.gl/7wkDUk.

Keeps us posted.

RyanC_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The_Sim, we don't want you to fear your software updates. In most situations everything goes as it should and customers benefit from new features and improvements. As each phone is customized differently and can have different apps or functions that can have an negative effect on the result of the update. Other times the instal of the update goes wrong. In both cases we help troubleshoot the solution.

JoelR_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
l5858
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am seeing the same problem. Last several days BT usage of the battery has averaged 35%. I use Android Wear so turning it totally off is not really an option.  What I have noticed is, periodically turning BT off then on seems to help some. It seems like it gets stuck scanning or trying to connect to a device that is not present.  The longer BT is on the worse it gets.  I'm trying to toggle BT off/on about 3-4 times a day and it seems to be better; but this is not a reasonable long term fix.  For safety driving, and for connected items like Android Wear, BT needs to work right....and this should have been caught in testing (I used to do beta trials for cell phones and if decent trials happen, these items are found).

I had plenty of problems with BT on 5.1.1 where it would drop out, and found that coincided with high phone/CPU temperature (either being from charging or a runaway app like Facebook).  Since March my Note 4 HW has been swapped 4 times, batteries replaced twice, etc ! Now with the move to Marshmallow, I'm concerned why I'm seeing this behavior with BT eating the battery, much like the 5.x OS was doing on the Note 4 previously (albeit not as bad). 

0 Likes
l5858
Enthusiast - Level 3

To be clear, when I say toggling helps, it took the BT battery use from up to 42% and dropped it down to 23%...but that is still excessive (I used to average 4% on the 5.1.1 release).

I know in all likelihood the following will be the story...given how fingers got pointed in my prior battles with Lollipop.

1)  VZW will say they tested the software and didn't see this problem. I'm not sure if the testing really covers this...but if the test had decent sample size it would have been found.

2) VZW will point the finger at Samsung as they built the software.

3) Samsung will point the finger at Google claiming they just passed the software along...which I know is not totally true because they customized it and should have tested it .

4) Google will most likely not respond to this except to potentially address in a next release (if it is their bug)...and who knows how long that will take. 

BOTTOM LINE -  VZW has tried swapping units, but when the software is bad, they should never have accepted it in the first place. Frankly, VZW needs to pressure Samsung by stop selling their products until they fix the horrible quality of HW/SW of late (on 4th replacement unit since March). Samsung never takes any responsibility, plays the blame game and forgets its customers. Note 4 users have dealt with enough problems with the horrible 5.x software builds.  I'm basically done with Samsung after this (seen their quality go into the toilet), and VZW is losing its position in my list as well the longer this goes on.