Note 3 performance issues after KitKat upgrade
Ohiomade
Enthusiast - Level 2

*Poor battery life (3 hours)

*Jerky/lagging screens/scrolling

I have tried to fix by disabling sync, disabling location, disabling Google +, diming the screen.

The battery is being used up by "Android System" 45%.

I also drained battery life completely and then recharged with the phone off, but this didn't help.

I am currently running in Safe Mode to see if the battery life goes back to normal.

Should I do a factory reset?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Note 3 performance issues after KitKat upgrade
Ohiomade
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, I am going to try that.  I've been in Safe Mode for about 20 minutes, and the battery has stayed at 84%.  Prior to safe mode, I would lose 1% every couple of minutes of screen time, so I guess that means one of my downloaded apps must be running down the battery.  Thanks for the suggestion...was trying to avoid it, but oh well.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I would do a factory reset

0 Likes
Ohiomade
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, I am going to try that.  I've been in Safe Mode for about 20 minutes, and the battery has stayed at 84%.  Prior to safe mode, I would lose 1% every couple of minutes of screen time, so I guess that means one of my downloaded apps must be running down the battery.  Thanks for the suggestion...was trying to avoid it, but oh well.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying Safe Mode, Ohiomade. Since it's working well when no apps are running, you may be able to save yourself from a full reset by simply uninstalling a few applications. Try uninstalling any 3rd party applications that use the camera, like Skype for example. There's been reports that some applications are constantly attempting to open the camera in the background and causing the quicker battery drain. You can also go to Settings>Battery and see what other applications may need to be uninstalled based on their usage.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
Ohiomade
Enthusiast - Level 2

I ended up doing a factory reset.  I notice that the first 15% of battery life goes in about 20 minutes, then from 85% downwards, the consumption seems to be at a normal pace.  I will continue to monitor.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the update, Ohiomade. After the reset, did you re-install some of the same applications? Do you have Skype or other camera apps on the phone? We'll be here ready to help.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
Ohiomade
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am happy to report my first full day of normal battery usage since the factory reset.  I don't have Skype loaded, but all other apps that I used to use are loaded.  (I actually never used Skype so it was fine to get rid of it.)

I am using power saving mode for the Battery and also using power saving mode under Location (gps services).

I am at 78% as of 239pm, that was starting with 100% at 7am, and I have been streaming music (iheartradio) for several hours today and checking emails.  I consider this to be normal battery usage at this stage of the day.

Happy and relieved.  Recommend factory reset (even thought it was a pain).

Good luck!