Note 4 group messaging (mms) doesn't work with wifi enabled. Single person to person messages do.
Archangelius

I cannot receive or send messages in a group chat when I have WiFi enabled. Person to person messages work fine though. I get APN errors, and I cannot edit or add new APNs, as the add option is grayed out. I have moved from iphone, and I disabled imessage as well as resetting my password to the apple id.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Note 4 group messaging (mms) doesn't work with wifi enabled. Single person to person messages do.
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

MMS such as picture and group messages won't send/receive over wi-fi, they require a mobile data connection.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Note 4 group messaging (mms) doesn't work with wifi enabled. Single person to person messages do.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Archangelius,

I am sorry to hear your group messages aren't working while connected to WiFi. Are you sending picture messages or regular messages in your group conversations? Has this ever worked for you before? Are you texting iPhones, Androids or basic devices?

KarenC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Archangelius

It has never worked over WiFi, I only got the phone last night. The group is made up of primarily iPhone users, but I believe someone has android as well. I am sending both text and picture messages and neither has worked. I tried to change the send data limit within the application settings to the 300kb setting and it did not help. About a minute after turning off WiFi it always works again.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

MMS such as picture and group messages won't send/receive over wi-fi, they require a mobile data connection.

0 Likes
izzyb820

Are you saying that all the messages sent through a Galaxy S5 use my cellular data and not WiFi?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're using the stock text app (the one that looks like a yellow note coming out of a white envelope), then MMS (i.e., picture, group texts) require a cellular data connection to send/receive, they won't send/receive over wi-fi.  However, they count against your text package, not your data plan.

If you're using Verizon Messages (the app that has a red background with two white talk bubbles on it) ... MMS can be sent/received over wi-fi, but they still count against your text package.

0 Likes
websurfin

I can confirm my Verizon Note 4 will not send or reply to "text only" group messages if WiFi is connected - turn off WiFi and it works as expected

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

When you send a group message it is CONVERTED to MMS regardless if it is text only.

0 Likes