Note 5 Marshmallow update disaster
JonG81
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ever since updating to Marshmallow on my Note 5, here are the issues I've experienced:

-have to manually refresh most apps to get notifications...but even that doesn't always work.

-WiFi is very unstable.

-No Amazon apps work. None of them, including Prime which costs 100 bucks a year.

-Voicemail doesn't work; I keep getting a 9007 error message.

-it's much buggies all around than it ever was.

Verizon, this update is a complete failure and you should be ashamed for forcing this garbage down our throats.  Ive factory reaet the phone twice to no avail.  Well....what are you planning to do and when, Verizon?

Re: Note 5 Marshmallow update disaster
JonG81
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh, and my texts come through sporadically at best.  Customer service apparantly isn't open....convenient.  seriously, why should I even pay my bill with a garbage update that has all but ruined my 700+ dollar smart phone?

bearone21
Legend

i called a couple times this afternoon & kept getting cut off.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Try going into Settings>Apps> your apps.  Click on Permissions and make sure you have all of the permissions granted to the apps.  With the update not all of the permissions are automatic and you need to update some of the apps (Amazon being one of them)

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Verizon can help you fix your texting and voicemail features, since those are thier programs, and they can also help you troubleshoot any other issues with connectivity. (You've already done most of that with the factory reset however, so that's good).

9007 is a Verizon voicemail connection error, since you're having trouble with Wifi (which sounds like a likely cause of some of the other issues you're experiencing) Does the voicemail error still occur if you toggle wifi off? Are you having trouble with multiple different types of wifi hotspots, or just one type? If there is a wifi connectivity issue and your phone is set to update/refresh apps only on wifi that may be why you've had to do it manually.

The other recommended troubleshooting step would be to run your phone in safe mode for half a day or so to see if the problems still persist, as if they do it would indicate a software or hardware issue. In that case for issues like wifi or other general operating bugs you'd want to contact Samsung since they would be the most qualified as the the manufacturer and developer of thier Marshmallow OS, and can also assist with warranty services.

Amazon, (or any other third party apps) should work once their development team updates their apps to work with the new OS on your phone, and doesn't have anything to do with your wireless carrier. The Prime 'App' is free, Amazon just charges for the service, whether accessed from their website directly or another application. Since you like the apps if you contact Amazon they may be able to provide a timeline as to when they expect to release an app update to be compatible with the new android version.

You'd probably want to pay your bill, otherwise you'd experience even more issues with your phone working though.

0 Likes
Denverclimber
Contributor - Level 1

I've been on Verizon for seventeen years, have had the same cell number for twenty four years, been on Android since the beginning of it.

This is the first time I updated my Note 5 to a newer OS within the first week or two after its release. WHAT A MISTAKE!

While Marshmallow (MM) is a 'smoother' variant of Lollipop, MM literally KILLED my phone!  After spending over thirty hours trying to 'fix' the phone, I did a full installation, a factory reset, FIVE clean wipe partition caches, was on the phone with Verizon 'techs' countless times, was transferred to Samsung three times and Samsung was absolutely NO help what-so-ever.

MM drew down the power of the phone into a battery drain that was literally overwhelming! The screen usage was off the charts. It was NOT the apps on the phone as I ran it in safe mode a few times and keep a very CLEAN and conservative phone! It was the BAD MM update that's full of bugs and issues!

Ten days ago, I called back in and Verizon tried to connect my phone with two of my computers, one at a time to do a repair. Each time, the phone would NOT connect! Finally the tech reached out to the Verizon-Samsung Liaison and they told the tech to order me in a WARRANTY REFURBISHED REPLACEMENT COMPLETE WITH MM UPDATE ALREADY INSTALLED AND A FRESH NEW BATTERY.

When I received the phone on Monday, the phone came in WITHOUT THE MARSHMALLOW UPDATE and with a USED BATTERY THAT HAD ONLY 23% BATTERY LIFE.

I received another's problematic 'refurbished phone' WITHOUT a new battery.  It's one thing to ship a refurbished phone. In this say and age of a sealed battery, Samsung could have at least installed a fresh, new battery!

Bottom line, I lost/exchanged a fairly new phone with a fairly clean battery for a much older phone, with a much degraded battery, had to spend countless hours on the phone with Verizon and Samsung and came away with a phone that's now running Lollipop.

Once Apple gets improved and more enhanced screen displays on their iPhones, I will leave Android and Samsung!

Verizon owes me BIG tine for the wasted time spent trying to get the NEW phone to work well that was caused by the MM OS problems.

It's getting to the point that even though I've been a long time loyal and excellent customer of Verizon, they sent me a replacement, refurbished phone with a degraded battery!

This whole process has reeked to high you-know-what!

0 Likes
Pvasali19
Enthusiast - Level 1

Has anyone experienced lost S Pen functionality after the update?

0 Likes
rftsr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update bricked my phone. (no charging). Just got off the phone with Verizon and they refuse to acknowledge any problems. I purchased my phone before switching to Verizon base on their reputation.

So I'm out $650 and have dead phone as thanks to switching to Verizon.

Big time suckage.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

just wondering, after the mm install, how'd you do a full install??

fwiw:

my download/install was perfect & info posted 3/4/2014.

i've been with verizon since "gte" days.

0 Likes
rftsr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Over the air for me.

0 Likes