Note 5 battery drains quick even if not in use. barely last 12 hours. What can I do to fix it?
CarlosSF
Enthusiast - Level 1

Note 5 battery drains quick even if not in use.  barely last 12 hours.  What can I do to fix it?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Note 5 battery drains quick even if not in use.  barely last 12 hours.  What can I do to fix it?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Okay so:

Cell standby 20% - do you use a screen saver, a moving wallpaper, do you use your phone to check the time a lot, what is the screen time out set to (30 seconds or less is ideal) ?

E-mail sync - I would double check your e-mail sync settings and see if they are set to PUSH and how often. Usually you can set them to 5-10-15 minutes.

Wi-Fi - If left on constantly will constantly use your battery. If you're not using it I suggest using the quick button to turn it off. Along with Bluetooth.

Can you finish providing the list of what's using all the battery?

Can I get the rest of the battery stats? Should say how many hours your device has been on.

You can also just take a couple screen shots and post them if that's easier than replying.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Note 5 battery drains quick even if not in use. barely last 12 hours. What can I do to fix it?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Can you go into settings>battery and relay what the top 5 uses are and their %?

0 Likes
Re: Note 5 battery drains quick even if not in use.  barely last 12 hours.  What can I do to fix it?
CarlosSF
Enthusiast - Level 1

The top used to be email sync.  I turned off automatic sync and it helped a little.  But when I sync manual still uses a lot of battery.  Cell standby is number 1 now, like 20+% of my battery.  I already played with the Wi-Fi setting and it helped a little but my battery is at 50% by noon with not little use.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Okay so:

Cell standby 20% - do you use a screen saver, a moving wallpaper, do you use your phone to check the time a lot, what is the screen time out set to (30 seconds or less is ideal) ?

E-mail sync - I would double check your e-mail sync settings and see if they are set to PUSH and how often. Usually you can set them to 5-10-15 minutes.

Wi-Fi - If left on constantly will constantly use your battery. If you're not using it I suggest using the quick button to turn it off. Along with Bluetooth.

Can you finish providing the list of what's using all the battery?

Can I get the rest of the battery stats? Should say how many hours your device has been on.

You can also just take a couple screen shots and post them if that's easier than replying.

0 Likes
Re: Note 5 battery drains quick even if not in use. barely last 12 hours. What can I do to fix it?
mnbywayofnc

Mine, after 2 weeks, all of the sudden is draining very quickly by comparison to what was "normal" in the 2 weeks leading up 'til now. This happened when I first got this phone too, and I did a factory reset which helped for about 2 weeks. From what my battery list displays, it appears that all of the sudden Bluetooth is hogging the battery. Previously, it did not appear on the list (ever). Since owning the Note 5 I have had a Gear 2 smartwatch connected (constantly) which requires that Bluetooth is on at all times (and it has been since day one). I really do not want to do another factory reset to get the battery/Bluetooth back to normal. Does anyone have any experience in fixing what is seeming a "rogue" Bluetooth battery drain process?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

You could try deleting the bluetooth cache and data and then reconnecting the watch.

0 Likes
mnbywayofnc

I tried that yesterday but it didn't seem to help. I'll definitely try it again and see if I have better luck today. Hard to understand how you go from 1.25 - 1.5 days worth of battery to ~1 day with no change in behavior. What's more is why it worked for almost 2 weeks after new, and then another nearly 2 weeks after factory reset...

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

1 day is pretty decent having bluetooth on 24/7. I don't use my phone a whole lot and get 1.5. You also have to understand that eventually the battery holds less and less charge and the reason it holds a lot of charge new and after factory reset is because you don't have all your apps running in the background. I'm guessing bluetooth is the top used app when you looked under settings>battery - which is correct having it on all the time.

0 Likes
mnbywayofnc

I agree and after owning a long list of Galaxy/Android phones, I do understand typical behavior of these smartphones. However, previous to yesterday (with Bluetooth always on due to the watch), the battery usage list didn't even include Bluetooth (same for the first 2 weeks prior to factory reset). Sudden decline in battery without a change in behavior/usage - not something I expected...and never happened in the nearly 5 months I owned the Galaxy S6.

0 Likes
mnbywayofnc

And to be clear - when I mentioned ~1 day isn't 24 hrs, it's more like 15 hrs. So, I go from 15hrs of use, 8 hrs of standby overnight, and 2-5 hrs of use the following day to ~15hrs of total use - basically a 20-30% reduction.

0 Likes