Re: Note 7 Recall Details
varcher_89
Enthusiast - Level 3

I asked about preordering too and no one knew anything but that makes sense to me.  I did read somewhere that Samsung intends to take care of the recall people before selling to new people.  Of course not sure how they will work that with Verizon and other carriers.

a330fly
Enthusiast - Level 1

I went into a corporate store today and switched my Note 7 (bought online) to a Samsung S7edge.  I was told to come back in when the new Note 7's arrived.  The rep says as early as next week but the CPSC process may take longer.  Once available, you can go back into the store to exchange at no re-stocking charge - the re-swap to new Note7's does *not* have a deadline so you are NOT stuck with this replacement phone of your choosing (any new phone they have in stock). The Sep 30th deadline is only for the "first" swap.

The process was quick and painless.  I agree the Verizon can do better with communication - but you can make the swap to any other new phone now, and swap back for the new Note 7 when available without any charge. 

tamerg
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had the same experience.  I turned in my Note 7 for a S7edge and was told I can come back for the Note 7 when they were available.  They also said that no one know when they will be available because of the government getting involved now.  But, I was refunded $5.XX the difference between the Note and S7.  

Also, not sure if anyone else heard this.  But on other sites, I am reading the Samsung was sending Gear VR with the replacement Note 7 as a I'm sorry in other countries, but no word on if that will be the case in the USA.  Anyone else read that anywhere?

TLEON996
Enthusiast - Level 3

I saw that about the Gear VR as well, but the article I saw was also unclear if it was just other countries or if the US was included. It certainly be a nice gesture if we all got one. 

varcher_89
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wow, that would be pretty cool.  I played with one while I was exchanging my Note 7 and thought it was fun.  But I guess I would just be happy to get a safe, non-burning Note 7 back in my hot, little hand!

RYAULR42
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just called Verizon 611 to verify the exchange options. I see people posting that they returned their N7 for an S7/S7E and where told that they can exchange them for the non-fireball N7 when they are finally released.

I was told by the Verizon Rep and her manager that I could exchange my N7 for an S7/S7E at no charge or wait for the N7 to be released. Verizon is not allowing the S7/S7E "loaner" swap until the N7 is released.

It would be nice if Corporate actually would share the CORRECT policy with everyone....employee/customers.

rgang50
Contributor - Level 1

And I am holding a loaner in my hand. Go figure....

0 Likes
PHIBON33
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've now received three DIFFERENT statements from Verizon Customer Support reps ... 1) just fill out a warrantee claim and wait for the replacement phone to be sent to you; 2) bring everything into the store, phone, accessories, charger, box ... And exchange it for another phone that WILL become your permanent replacement (If I want a Note7 when it is again available that burns another 'upgrade'); and 3) bring everything in, exchange the phone for another, and then come back and exchange again when the new Note7 is available ... But has to be done by 9/30 or I'm on my own and can't exchange anything.

Verizon ... PLEASE get your act together.  One Message!  No deadlines, or complex processes.  Reach OUT to the Note7 owners who you have listed in your databases and tell them precisely what to do and ensure they get the new Note7s campaigned out to them as soon as they become available.

a330fly
Enthusiast - Level 1

My understanding is that the first exchange must take place before September 30th.  It could be for *any phone* - not just S7/S7E.  Once this exchange has taken place, then you have the option of switching back to the non-fireball Note7, without incurring the re-stocking charge.  No idea what happens if you do not swap before September 30th to trigger the free exchange.

The in-store rep and his manager has confirmed this with me.  He was a Note 7 user, he switched to a Motorola to try it out, and says he will switch back when the new Note 7s are available.  I would trust staff at a corporate store more so than phone agents who don't handle the physical exchange.

Whether VZ allows you to swap back to a Note 7, it only makes sense for them to allow this so they can get you back at a higher device fee.  Surely, they will somehow get Samsung to compensate the costs of this exchange program.

Of course, all of this is subject to change.  Especially once September 30th arrives and whether the new Note 7s are available or not by that time.

With the global airlines ban and the 60% charge limit, I don't see why someone wouldn't switch to another phone before Sept 30th, and wait for the new Note 7s to arrive.  If you're not happy with what happened, vote with your wallet and get another device / switch to another carrier.

The way Verizon is handling this is exactly how other carriers are handling this, except:

1) Communication of the swap out policy is poor.  But the policy is clearly black and white - at least in my corporate store location.

2) There is a Verizon-imposed Sep 30th deadline, which allows everyone plenty of time but creates confusion as to what happens after that date.

3) The $25 bill credit is really an accessory credit - just pick a $25 accessory from the store for the loaner phone (or any phone) to get it for "free".  This is inferior to just giving you a straight bill credit.

varcher_89
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon's lack of communication to its customers is inexcusable. 

If there are no "loanerrs" then all of us with "loaners" are going to be very upset when we are standing in line trying to get our replacement Note 7s due to guidance and promises made by various Verizon reps.

I am going to believe that the Verizon person you talked to just came off vacation and was not caught up.  Smiley Happy