Re: Note 7 Recall Details
pherson
Champion - Level 1

He or she responded sarcasm for sarcasm. It's been said already to power off the phone and discontinue use. By continuing to use it you accept your own liability. And why did you go to trade it knowing it was recalled is beyond me

kaeo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon do the right thing!  So far it seems you are doing the WRONG things

1.  Not allowing us loaners while we wait for replacement phones.

2.  Forcing us to downgrade phones with an explicit threat to do so by Sept 30 or we will have to pay restocking fees.  We dont even know when safe Note 7 will be available, much less approved by CPSC.  So the message from Verizon is clear:  downgrade or take your chances with getting burned or exploded.

3.  Not informing Verizon store staff of what to do or how to discuss the Note 7 issues*

I just came back from the Honolulu Verizon flagship store after receiving my POWER DOWN NOW advisory from Samsung - here is what I was told:

1.  No Loaner Program from Verizon.

2.  Very low probability incidents have only been outside of US.  uh hello is Florida (jeep fire) not US?

3.  FAA advisory:  only to not do inflight charging no biggie.  uh hello "recalled batteries" are banned from flights.

Bottom line:  why am I getting so excited for just hold on to your phone and use it until you either die or replacement available.

As a Verizon shareholder, its very concerning to hear ATT etc ARe doing the right thing...

BLUEWIND001
Enthusiast - Level 1

He wasn't being sarcastic at all, I'm afraid.

And also I went in to the store specifically because it is recalled and want to know what my options are, and most importantly, when I would be able to get the new note 7 (1st week of Oct, according to that rep) straight from horses mouth.  What part of that is beyond you, is beyond me.

I wasn't notified from Verizon or Samsung that I need to turn off my Note7 either. 

pherson
Champion - Level 1

That Jeep I. Florida was stupidity on the idiot who owned the car. Here's a phone with a known issue and you decided to charge the phone unattended in a hot car. If he complains he's gonna look stupid and the insurance company will look at him stupid. Their parenting skills are suspect to, you send a kid and the dog to get back in the car with Florida weather. Nice.

0 Likes
radnj1972
Enthusiast - Level 3

just FYI to everyone on this thread if you just go to a corporate store they will take care of you in one way or another. At the few stores in jersey I went to they all had the general same principles: a) loaner samsung device ONLY if you wanted to wait for Note 7 replacement. It's not really a "loaner" as you would be signing a new agreement on that loaner device. If you wanted to exchange into an iPhone or non samsung device, no loaners at all. b) You could preorder iphone7 and return Note7, however you would need an old temporary device to activate on account unless you wanted to be without a device for that period of time. c) Just keep the existing Note7 until new ones were out. At both stores I went to i was told the new ones were expected No later than 9/30, but that they were not given any clear direction from Samsung on what to do, so that is why their messages to customers have been so vague.  . . All of these options were done with no fees, no restocking fees or anything. This also includes returning all accessories you got from verizon as well with no restocking fees and waiving the return period time. I returned the Note7, and my various accessories (cables, chargers, case, screen protector) and then replaced with an iphone6s for now. They refunded  the accessories no problem. . If you do visit a store I encourage to bring all the receipts, because this makes their life and yours much easier and makes  for a speedier visit to the store. About 1/2 hour later or so I walked out with a new, working device ready to go. 

havoc28
Enthusiast - Level 1

Went in to my local corporate store yesterday and asked what my options were for returning my Note 7. They said that they do NOT do loaner phones. 1. I could exchange my phone for another phone but I would then be locked into that phone and could not exchange it when the Note 7s come in. 2. If I had an unused phone I could turn in the Note 7 and use the old phone until the new Notes arrive( I don't have an old unused phone). 3. I could keep my Note 7 and hope nothing happens until the new ones arrive then exchange it. They said that the odds of something happening were really small (at this point I don't trust anything Verizon tells me). They have no idea when news ones will be in. So many inconsistencies from store to store with no clear direction on what we need to do.

Jd1010
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, sometimes life doesn't come with directions: you just open the box and put it together the best you can. The question, for me, doesn't have much to do with Verizon or Samsung: they don't come to me for directions, I don't go to them. The issue is about risk. The risk of the phone burning up or exploding is minimal, based solely upon the frequency to date. That could change. The separators between anode and cathode layers in the battery my weaken over time, due to temperature, shock, or faulty construction. We could just be seeing the beginning of a much larger failure. We don't know. That's risk.

I have insurance against that risk for the phone. I can get the phone replaced.\

I have insurance against auto fire or home fire. But now that the CPSC has weighed in, it's very questionable that the insurance will cover the loss.  Since Samsung and Verizon and the federal government have advised me to stop using or charging the phone, there would be little if any recourse in the face of loss attributable to the phone. That's unmitigated risk. Unacceptable.

So, If I need or want a phone, my options are now narrowed. If I don't have an old phone lying around, I need to turn off the N7 and exchange it. For whatever. Regardless of what Verizon and Samsung say they will or won't do.

We can pound out our differences later when the dust settles.

The de3cision, really, is whether or not to remain with Samsung OR Verizon, or move on to some lesser weevil.

And so, the worm turns. . .

GITEM2222
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went into the corporate store near my house to inquire about the recall.  My Note 7 was getting hot just using it and I did not want to take any risks so I decided to see about replacing it.  When I arrived, I spoke with the store manager and one of the salespersons regarding my options.  They both stated that there was no clear date as to when they would get the new Note 7 as the new phones had to be approved by the CSPC before they could be shipped to/within the United States.  They both estimated that it could be into late October/early November before they would see the new Note 7.  They both did tell me that I could turn it in for a S7 or S7 edge or return it for a full refund.  During the process of the returning and trying to back to my S5, the manager and rep said that if I wanted to wait it out, they could give me either the S7 or S7 Edge and then I could come back and return it for the Note 7 at no charge.  I want to new Note 7 due to its functions, memory size, and other abilities, but with this mess as big as it is, I am just going to settle with the S7 Edge and move on.  Having used both phones, other than the S Pen, the memory, and size of the phone, and the security folder on the Note 7, they are similar in many ways.  By the time this mess gets resolved, the new Note 8 may be out and I can upgrade then.  Good luck all in trying to get this resolved.....

Jsteelmon
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went to a Verizon corporate store in Central Ohio yesterday and was very happy with the service.

The representative in the store let me read the email on his phone from Verizon that allows customers to trade in the Note 7 for a GS7 or GS7 Edge. Once they have the Note 7 back in Stock customers can exchange back to the Note 7 with no strings attached.

I went ahead and switched to the GS7 Edge knowing that I wasn't just relying on word of mouth and will be able to switch back to the Note 7 when it is available.

The one thing you will need to be aware of is the store will refund you the difference in sales taxes and device payments between the Note 7 and whatever you are exchanging it for, so if you do go back to the Note 7 you will have to make up the sales tax difference then.

Kellysnh
Enthusiast - Level 1

Unfortunately it appears that not all their employees are up to speed on the protocol. I went to my corporate store yesterday and at first I was told the same thing. I told the csr that I had spoken to Samsung, and Samsung assured me I would get a loaner phone until the new note 7 's come out (I was prepared to call Samsung back right there in the store). The csr went and talked to the manager of the store. When he came back, he apologized, and he told me that their policy had just recently changed. He told me I could pick any phone in the store to swap it out with, and when the new note 7 's come in, I could then return the phone for the note. He said I can also return any accessories that I purchased for the borrowed phone. I asked him how will I know when the new notes will be available? He said that I will get an email from Verizon letting me know that they're back in stock. I left the store with a S7 edge for now.