Note5 Screen locks randomly
MaverickTI

I am having a strange issue with my Note5. It's running 6.0.1 with the latest VZ update as of September 22nd.

Since about a month ago, my Note 5 will forcibly lock the screen on me even if I am watching videos or using the phone. It doesn't matter what method I choose to lock my screen. I've used fingerprints, password or PIN. If I enable the screen lock at all, it will then lock the phone on me when it's in use. The only way to stop this is to remove the screen lock all together, which of course, is a very bad idea.

I've cleared the system cache to no help and my phone is as updated as VZ can get. Trusted locations or devices does not help to stop the screen lock.

Any help on this?

James

0 Likes
Re: Note5 Screen locks randomly
bearone21
Legend

the phone doesn't know what you're doing & complies with whatever time interval you've set for the screen to lock.

some apps inform you that screen lock interval won't happen when using the app.

0 Likes
Sasha2052

I had the same issue that started after the last software update along with some other issues. It didn't matter what the time out interval was or even if I periodically touched the screen, the phone would just lock. I was finally able to resolve this issue along with other issues that appeared after the update by doing a factory reset.

0 Likes
MaverickTI

Ok I performed a factory reset and for about 24 hours everything worked perfectly! Then this morning when I used a Bluetooth headset with it, my Note 5 started having problems again.

What it specifically looks like is anytime I use Bluetooth Headsets with my Note 5, it causes a "soft crash" of my Note 5, which resets my Wi-Fi connection at the same time. having my fitBit Blaze connected by Bluetooth does not cause this issue. It is only with Bluetooth headsets that are using the A/V portion of the connection. Even if I remove the lock screen, whatever application I'm currently in will crash after 2 minutes if a Bluetooth headset is currently connected. Using wired headphones does not cause this problem.

I tested all this this morning.

It seems to me to be some bug in Android for the Note 5 for Bluetooth headset devices. Any help?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I have to admit that I'm pretty impressed with the troubleshooting that you have done thus far, MaverickT1. Let's work together to perform some advanced steps and get your Note 5 lock up issue resolved. When did the lock up originally start? How much available device memory do you have on the device? Can we assume that there isn't any liquid or physical damage on the Note 5?

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MaverickTI

I can't say for sure when it started but I would say about a month ago.

I currently have 14.16GB of available space.

No damage of any kind to the device.

I think I got this device in July and the Bluetooth function was fine then. It only started happening recently.

I did some more testing. I used a Verizon LG Gpad that I have which is an older tablet running Android 5.0.2. Using the Bluetooth headset on that it works perfectly fine.

On my Note 5, I've also noticed that when I first attach the Bluetooth device, my phone becomes nearly unresponsive. The notifications pull-down menu does not work without several swipes and sometimes I have to hit the power button off, then on to get my phone to respond again. Then the "crash" happens around the 2 minute mark as always. My phone returns to normal responsiveness when I disconnect the headphones.

it almost seems like when i add the headphones that some Android process gets "locked up" and causes problems. Then after 2 minutes, maybe the Android OS kills the process, which ends up killing all of my local connections, which is why I see the Wi-Fi get reset when it happens.

Also I noticed that like 5 seconds before the "crash" happens whatever application I'm in will pause for a second. Then it resumes for a few more seconds before being forcibly shutdown by the "crash"

At this point I wonder if a recent Verizon Android patch for my Note 5 didn't cause this bug. This might also explain why right after I did the factory reset, everything was fine but later the problem came back. Maybe after a period of time my phone updated itself to the latest patch bringing the problem back.

Sorry for being so wordy. This has just been frustrating.

0 Likes
adriennep_vzw
Verizon Employee

MaverickT1, you have done some great troubleshooting already. I do need to take a closer look at this. Please check your Verizon Community inbox so we can continue working on this.

0 Likes
MaverickTI

Hello,

Any update on this? Just want to make sure this wasn't forgotten.

0 Likes
MaverickTI

Hey. Still hoping for a resolution to this, please!

0 Likes