Notification/call delay in Note 8
Guile179
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've owned my Samsung Note 8 since October 2017 and have loved it.  Starting about two weeks ago, I starting having problems receiving messages.  I would send messages with the Messages+ app, and it would display "Sending..." for hours, even though the message was received and responded to.  Much later in the day, ranging from an hour to many hours later, that person would receive duplicates of all my old messages in one bulk send.  I also noticed that when I received messages, I wouldn't get the little number badge that indicates an unread message.  About 20 minutes later after checking my messages, I would get the badge, and it would take another 10-20 minutes to clear, unless I cleared it manually by holding down the app.

At the same time I was having this problem, I would often receive calls where my phone would ring or vibrate, but I would get no screen indicator to allow me to accept or reject the call.  Sometimes I would be able to answer the call if I was connected to Android Auto through my car, but when hanging up, the indicator wouldn't go away, even if the call was over.

I've tried changing app optimization, safe mode, clearing the cache, factory resetting, and even had a replacement phone sent to me under a "faulty antennae" diagnosis from the store, after the online chat and the Tier 2 phone agents couldn't figure it out (even though all were very pleasant and tried their best with the information at hand).  I keep my phone totally updated via app updates and system updates.  I started fresh with my replacement phone, aside from transferring contacts from my old Note 8, to see if it was a setting i wasn't seeing, but still my phone is having the same problems.  The problem is very frustrating, and I've gone through many channels to find an answer, and am now attempting the online forums.  Having a phone that has delays in sending/receiving messages and not able to answer calls doesn't make it much of a usable phone, and I worry about having to keep the phone for the next year and a half with all these problems.

Has anyone seen this, or solved this??

0 Likes
Re: Notification/call delay in Note 8
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Guile179,

We know how important it is that you're able to be notified of your texts and calls in a timely manner. It definitely sounds like you've done a lot of troubleshooting before you received the replacement phone. Don't worry, we're here to assist. Had anything changed two weeks ago such as an app update or a operating system update? What is the current software version?

1. From a Home screen, swipe up or down from the center of the display to access the apps screen.

2. Navigate Settings Settings icon > About phone then view the Build number.

How much memory do you have available? 

1. From a Home screen, swipe up or down from the center of the display to access the apps screen.

2. Navigate Settings Settings icon > Storage then view the available space from the following sections:
    • Phone storage
    • Portable storage
Guile179
Enthusiast - Level 1

No system updates happened before the problem happened, to my knowledge, and there have actually been a system update or two since the problem, which I was hopeful would fix the problem. (no luck there!)  No notable app updates happened before this started occurring, and I even started fresh with my replacement phone and it was acting the same since opening it out of the box.

Build number is NMF26X-N950USQS3BRB1

Android Version 7.1.1

Phone storage is 26.1gb used out of 64gb

Portable storage is 6.7 used out of 59.4gb.

Vinnyd73
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue with my Note 8.  My notifications are not showing for a lot of apps(ESPN, Facebook, Twitter, Outlook, etc) until hours later.  Also having issues with the Google Play store.  Apps will download but then not install/update until hours later.  I have done factory resets on my phone, no help.  Have had my SIM card swapped out, no help.  Even got a replacement phone, still having the issue.

Build number is NMF26X-N950USQS3BRB1

Android Version 7.1.1

Phone stores is 24.1 GB used out of 64 GB

No portable storage.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Guile179, the information you provided is greatly appreciated. Having a delay in your text messages and unable to answer calls is very concerning. We will make sure we get this resolved for you. Let’s continue troubleshooting. What zip code are you having this issue in? Is this issue happening when sending to specific number or all text messages affected?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Vinnyd73 & Guile179,

Please check for a private message from me and reply there at your convenience. Thank you.

EricW_VZW

0 Likes