Poor signal after KitKat update
VAStargazer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have owned my Note 3 since November of 2013.  From that point until the KitKat update it was just rock solid with reception.  I had great reception inside buildings and in most of the places I frequented.  Since that fateful day in May that I updated to KitKat it has been nothing but trouble.  I have performed two factory resets, spoken to Verizon tech support (who acknowledged there are some issues with the KitKat version as maybe not being ready for prime time), and frequently have to either reboot the phone or go into and out of airplane mode to resolve signal issues.  (The weak signal also leads to battery death because the phone is always upping the gain and trying to poll for a signal)  The biggest frustration is that nothing has changed from my vantage point, except the KitKat update.  I go to the same places, I go into the same rooms, I travel the same roads, all places where signals, although sometimes perhaps weak by the meter, existed.  Now, same places give me the no network, circle with a line, etc.  Since the hardware is the same and I assume Verizon hasn't made any major changes to its tower coverage in my area, I must assume its the phone.  I have done comparisons with other Verizon phones, such as my work phone, and the other phones always have adequate signal.  The difference, they are on Jelly Bean or are non-Android.  Some are 3G and some are 4G LTE, but the story is always the same acceptable signal, either 3G or 4G LTE.  I did do a signal comparison to a friends S5 with KitKat and it was very similar signal loss/strength to my Note 3 so again I am not ready to blame hardware. 

What's the scoop Verizon?  Is there a known issue with KitKat and signal acquisition?  I LOVE my Note 3 and Android, but I'm feeling like maybe I should go back to the iPhone.  My wife has an iPhone 5C from Verizon and her signal quality/strength always beats mine, hands down.  Her phone connects in places where mine says 'No Network'.

Thanks,

mark

0 Likes
Re: Poor signal after KitKat update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

VAStargazer, thanks for the scoop. It's important to us that you have reliable service. Perhaps a new sim card will improve your reception. The sim card is what connects you to our network. You can retrieve a free sim card from any of our corporate Verizon Wireless store locations. http://vz.to/1h3etAK

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
VAStargazer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'll give that a try and report back.  thanks

0 Likes
dwill1968
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon,

Why not just flash the radios back to the previous software? You know there is an issue, fix it. Say what ever you want, the Samsung phones have never been the greatest on reception, but this update is terrible. I haven't changed anything except update my phone. It's not the sim, I've wiped my cache partition, I've done a factory data reset. Step up and make this right. We need our phones to be reliable.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

>> Post removed.  Discussion of rooting/hacking devices is prohibited on this forum.  Please review the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

Edited by:  Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

No desire to violate terms of service by posting a URL to a site that does discuss modifying one's device which would void a warranty...

This URL was to a thread on another site where users were discussing build-dates of their phones and compatibility with KK when it comes to reception.

It is unfortunate that this URL cannot be shared with end users. They can probably find this information if they Google for it. But there was ample evidence there that there are low-level differences based on build-date that in combination with KK, leaves some people without reception while others have less of a problem with reception on their Note3.

0 Likes