Re: Previous Note 7 owners - how do we upgrade to the Note 8 without being penalized by Verizon?
CHERRIEBOMB18201
Enthusiast - Level 1

And you guys are only giving 25% on galaxy s5 and Samsung is giving 50% I don't think that is right. I have been a customer for years and to not be treated. Like that sucks. I was told to go though Samsung to get the 50%. Just to make more problems.

0 Likes
Re: Previous Note 7 owners - how do we upgrade to the Note 8 without being penalized by Verizon?
pherson
Champion - Level 1

I've said it on a different post and I'll say it again.

The carriers are not the ones who made the phone. Samsung did. If a carrier offers a plan that's up to them to do and is a nice gesture. Having said that, whenever I buy a phone, I always have a back up plan. You have the return window which is fine, but there have Ben times when I bought a phone 3rd party. Worked for us, as I am a phone junkie. Now payments are thrown into the mix. You would think you would have a backup plan. Also, no one was "forced" into a s7 or any new agreement. You have swappa, eBay, Craigslist, a friend, family to get a phone from. In this society in the states people want instant gratification now, then complain later. I've had the note 2,3,4 then the s6 edge plus but then had to go iPhone for work. But I kept my note 4 instead of trading because you never know. I don't buy online and then trade the phone through the mail. Too many horror stories but if I did I'd buy the insurance on the package. And with these phones being a pretty penny yes I always get the phone insurance which I've uses a few times. Bottom line is if you protect yourself in advance there wouldn't be 12 page threads.

mama23dogs
Legend

CHERRIEBOMB18201 wrote:

And you guys are only giving 25% on galaxy s5 and Samsung is giving 50% I don't think that is right. I have been a customer for years and to not be treated. Like that sucks. I was told to go though Samsung to get the 50%. Just to make more problems.

Yes, for the 100th time, Verizon didn't make the flammable phon, SAMSUNG DID.   Samsung's mistake.   Samsung's job to make it right. 

No carrier is responsible.

It sounds like you got a refund and went back to an old phone.  So you aren't out a dime, and have zero financial hardship over losing the Note 7.  Don't expect a lot of sympathy or brotherhood from those who didn't have a phone to go back to. 

RACBRO3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Guys, all you need to do is contact executive relations!

For details, join the FB group named: Samsung is scamming Note 7 buyers on the Note 8 "discount"!!!

Bottom line, executive relations is handling this wonderfully!

halfwit
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't think the carriers owe customers.  Period.  Any deals had to come from Samsung.  I can't think of any retailer that foots the bill for a manufacturer mistake and recall. 

Baby seats, auto recalls, etc, etc.  the retailer refunds and the consumer buys another product.

Im sick to death of people thinking the phones are one with service.  They aren't.  If the carriers were smart, they would stop selling phones altogether which would end this problem, the pesky warranty and insurance problems and the defaulting on phone payments. 

The US market is messed up.  It's the only country where people buy phones on payments

Auto dealerships aren't usually a direct representative for a manufacturer, they are licensed brokers that are able to sell vehicles for the maker of the vehicles.  Recalls and such ARE at their cost; but it is often with with a reimbursement from the manufacturer.  When there was a recall for baby formula several years ago, people weren't expected to contact Similac, they returned the goods to the store from which they purchased them from, and obtained an exchange or refund.  The only instance I can truly think of where one would go directly to the manufacturer of anything is a home, and that's due to how there are so many hands involved in the construction of said item.

I don't fully understand why it is so necessary to try to make this a US issue.  There are many markets in the world where goods are offered on credit or a payment plan as the outright cost is prohibitive to the largest group - the middle class.  I do concede however that there are some that simply MUST have the newest technology, even when they cannot afford to do so responsibly.  But that isn't the issue here, now is it?  Smiley Happy

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Lets look at the labels.  Hoffman Toyota is what the sign says.  They sell and service Toyota vehicles.  They stick a dealer decal on every one they sell. 

The sign on the store says Verizon wireless, or Sprint, or AT&T wireless, not Samsung, LG or Apple.  The product they sell is wireless service.

The fact they also ar a retailer for the delivery equipment has muddied the waters.

The lack of consumer responsibility is the problem.   People break phones, lose them and expect the carrier to replace them.   What?  are we all 5 And dropped our lollipops?

I do blame US carriers for creating a sick co-dependent situation over several decades with contracts.    It's late in the game, but it's being corrected, just not clearly enough to get it through to customers.

When you sign a Device Payment plan, it's a retail sales agreement to pay for the phone.  It does not have an escape hatch if you want to upgrade early.  READ IT.   If you didn't want to be bound by that agreement, you shouldn't have entered into that agreement.  People can't throw a tantrum and get let out now.

halfwit
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lets look at the labels.  Hoffman Toyota is what the sign says.  They sell and service Toyota vehicles.  They stick a dealer decal on every one they sell. 

The sign on the store says Verizon wireless, or Sprint, or AT&T wireless, not Samsung, LG or Apple.  The product they sell is wireless service.

The fact they also ar a retailer for the delivery equipment has muddied the waters.

The lack of consumer responsibility is the problem.   People break phones, lose them and expect the carrier to replace them.   What?  are we all 5 And dropped our lollipops?

I do blame US carriers for creating a sick co-dependent situation over several decades with contracts.    It's late in the game, but it's being corrected, just not clearly enough to get it through to customers.

When you sign a Device Payment plan, it's a retail sales agreement to pay for the phone.  It does not have an escape hatch if you want to upgrade early.  READ IT.   If you didn't want to be bound by that agreement, you shouldn't have entered into that agreement.  People can't throw a tantrum and get let out now.

I'm really not trying to be argumentative here, but I don't think you understand what the issue is and how it pertains to folks in it. 

Yes, your example says "Hoffman Toyota".  That likely means it's owned by someone with the last name Hoffman and they sell Toyotas.  If your Toyota has a recall, do you go back to the Hoffman owned dealership, or do you drive to one of the many manufacturing plants spread across the world?  I would hope you answered "the dealership", because that's where you bought it - and likely have a service contract with.

You're insinuating that instead of going to our "dealership" (Verizon), that we go en-masse to Samsung.  That's just silly and unrealistic.

Regarding breaking or dropping a phone; do you have the protection service plan?  I know I do, even though I never have had to use it.  Guess who offers such a plan?  That's right.  The "dealership" from where I purchase my phones.  I don't think Samsung even offers something like that, which further proves my point in that we are working with a licensed dealer for our devices.  So if I do have a "oh-my-gosh-I'm-5" moment and drop my phone into a lake of fire - I know I'm okay.

I had already explained that I personally made the mistake of not reading through my new contract as I assumed (Yes, that is on me) it was the same as the one I had previously signed.  I did (on good faith) assume that I would be afforded the same luxury of being able to upgrade at my leisure when I had paid 50% of my phone's balance off.  I don't think I've seen any temper tantrums here, just disgruntled customers that are in a similar position as myself.  I've seen mostly civil discussions asking a company to step up and provide a little extra to keep folks happy.  I pay almost the same amount of money a month as a cheap car payment for my service and phone contracts, so I do hold my service provider to a slightly higher standard than I would if I still had Virgin Wireless which provided almost zero service beyond using their leased cellular towers and data transmission.

Food for thought:  If cellular carriers didn't offer phones, what incentive would they have to bring folks in?  if every phone was unlocked and people could change carriers at whim, they would have to find another way to be competitive.  The system as it is works quite fine for them (it did bankrupt some carriers when apple gained popularity) as it still is quite lucrative - even with us 5 year old's throwing temper tantrums.  Smiley Happy

mama23dogs
Legend

If my Toyota is recalled, I can go to any dealership that services them and have it fixed at Toyotas expense.

If a defective retail product is recalled and must be returned a refund is offered and the customer can buy another product. 

BTW sales by carriers have plummeted since ending contracts and sales of unlocked phones are soaring.  People want to have phones they can take anywhere.  I have moved from Verizon to ATT twice in the past 3 years, with the same phones, none of which are carrier branded.

0 Likes
halfwit
Enthusiast - Level 2

If my Toyota is recalled, I can go to any dealership that services them and have it fixed at Toyotas expense.

If a defective retail product is recalled and must be returned a refund is offered and the customer can buy another product. 

BTW sales by carriers have plummeted since ending contracts and sales of unlocked phones are soaring.  People want to have phones they can take anywhere.  I have moved from Verizon to ATT twice in the past 3 years, with the same phones, none of which are carrier branded.

Good.  So we agree (based on what you stated above) that going to a licensed dealer for a product is acceptable when it comes to replacement/return/upgrading of a product. 

I don't know where you're pulling your statistics from, but sales aren't down at all:

Counterpoint, a technology market research firm, has revealed its U.S. mobile market growth analysis for Q2 2017 and the results appear to show a return to form for providers and OEMs in a hyper-competitive market. Postpaid phone adds fell in at 1.25 million, with prepaid markets also contributing to the growth. Year-over-year, growth in the country’s overall mobile market is up by 14 percent, with T-Mobile, Verizon, Samsung and ZTE leading the charge.

(I don't know if I'm allowed to link outside sources, but typing in Q2 2017 mobile sales will lead you to the site that provides the quote above.)

Unlocked phones only accounted for about 12% of annual sales as of 2016.  I don't know how that equates to soaring, but I suppose that's a subjective term.  Either way, this discussion is heading a bit off-topic from the thread.  I have been a loyal and happy customer of Verizon and Samsung for several years and plan on continuing to be a customer as long as they keep doing what is right for both the customer and their respective shareholders.

0 Likes
wwwzzz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I purchased my Note 8 from Samsung. It was simple, I answered  their simple questions and received credit approval instantly with my $425.00 trade in deducted. I have 24 month financing from Samsung Credit. I received my Note 8 on Sept 7. The phone shipped with my free wireless charger and memory card. I am very pleased that I purchased from Samsung and not Verizon.