Random shutdown and charging issues
jengar25
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have only had my Note 3 for a few days and since I activated it there has seem to been some issues. First it doesn't seem to charge completely and drains the battery very quickly (it was my understanding battery life was supposed to be better than the Note 2). It also randomly shuts down for no apparent reason. I also have been having a lot of trouble with apps closing saying unfortunately it has stopped working. Beginning to think that I might of gotten a faulty phone, or does anyone have any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Random shutdown and charging issues
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you using a task killer that is closing the applications for you?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Blorff
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't know about the charging issues but I did experience the random reboots with my first phone. I brought it back to the store and they replaced it. The second unit does not have the problem.

0 Likes
heckrocket

My Note III just started with this problem 4-5 days ago. The first time that it had powered off I thought it was just a fluke, I powered it back on, it had something like 30% battery left. Thinking it may have been because of the battery level I charged it back up to 90% and this seemed to resolve the issue for the time being. The next day it started randomly powering off I noticed right after it would go into sleep mode. Fast forward to today and the issue has gotten progressively worse, not only does it power off but the touch screen stops responding at random times, the battery is draining at an accelerated pace and the phone seems to run hotter. If I remove the battery and let it sit for 5-10 minutes it returns to normal operation but that only lasts about 30-60 minutes. The only thing I can think of that may have caused this is an app update that rolled through 4-5 days ago, I have never dropped the phone, never gotten liquid on it, I am super careful with this thing since it costs an arm and leg. I have just done a reset under backup and reset > personal data > reset settings, all this does is reset system settings back to default, it leaves all you data intact, I'm not hopeful that this will work. If it doesn't, I'll be doing a factory reset (complete wipe) as a last resort before I take it into Verizon.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Heckrocket, we want your amazing Note III working so that you can enjoy our services. As far as what is causing the issue, I am thinking the same thing you are - it was probably that update. Was the update for a specific app or was it a software update for your phone?

If it was for an app, you could try putting the phone in Safe Mode following the steps here http://vz.to/1g7rWJE and see if that resolves things. If it does, then we will have identified the issue, and simply finding and uninstalling the offending app will fix your phone.

You can also do a factory reset following these steps http://vz.to/1kMZ3We but please make sure all your media and contacts are backed up beforehand. Disabling Automatic Restore prior to the factory reset is essential as well, and the steps to do that are in the link I provided you.

Keep us posted as to what is going on with your phone! I look forward to hearing from you.

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
heckrocket

Thanks for the reply. The update that seemed to have started the problem was an app update for multiple apps all at once so I am not able single one out. The backup and reset > personal data > reset settings I did yesterday worked for most of the day, then suddenly around 6pm PST the phone went from 55% battery down to 1% in a matter of 10 minutes and powered off. I have just done a factory reset and disabled Automatic Restore beforehand. I'm leaving the phone bare bones for a day and not installing any of my apps to see how that does, if the problems resume I'm heading over to Verizon for a replacement, I have a pregnant wife and can't be worrying about my phone reliability. If it makes it through the day I'll start re-installing apps a couple at a time and continue monitoring. I'll post an update asap.

0 Likes
beenybum

I'm having the same issue. I've had my phone since October when it was released but my issues started about a week ago. I unistalled all 3rd party apps, but the phone is still rebooting/shutting down. I also put the phone in safe mode, which seemed to help with the phone restarting for awhile, but then it started up again. I replaced the SD card thinking it was corrupt. No such luck. Last of all I did a factory reset. When I did this, the phone continuously reboot for at least 10 times before I could get thru the activation process. Then these yellow lines started to show up on my screen when it would reboot. The line would show up either on the top or bottom of the screen and then slowly disappear.  Also, the battery seems to get very hot and drains very quickly. I have the phone on the bare minimum, no 3rd party apps, just what the phone came with. Not sure what else to do but to take it to the store.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi beenybum,

I am sad to hear about all the problems you are having with your phone! Thank you for doing all the troubleshooting you have done so far! We truly appreciate it. Has there been any damage to your phone? What kind of yellow lines are you seeing? Does the whole screen have these lines? Keep us posted.

Thanks, BobbyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
heckrocket

A day before your post, my phone powered off 2 times, so it looks like it may start acting up again even after doing a factory reset. This has been the pattern, starts off slow then accelerates into constantly powering off and over heating. I have auto updates turned off so I can control what and when updates occur. I've kept the app installs to a minimum this time.as well, only 5.

0 Likes
beenybum

I did a factory reset and didn't install any apps that didn't come with the phone. Within using it for 5 min, the phone overheated and shut down. I finally went to the Verizon store and they are sending me a replacement. Hopefully the one they send me will work normally.

0 Likes