Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon?
Not applicable

wireyourworld wrote:

I didn't say anything was unfair about it, just that I want a fair

contract, at a fair price.  To me that means being able to get a new

phone and just continue on my contract that I have.

Contracts are 2 years. After 2 years if you don't upgrade or renew the contract you are on month to month. Anything on your contract doesn't apply because you are no longer under contract. You can upgrade as early as 20 months into a contract Upgrading starts a NEW contract. NEW contract NEW terms.

Unlimited data is unsustainable with 4G and REALLY is under share plans. Imagine everyone with up to 10 devices using unlimited data? Verizon's network would come crashing down. Then all the people demanding unlimited data would complain about that. would you like the mobile network you are paying good money for to actually work? If yes then you'll have to accept that you can't have unlimited data. If not and you leave all I can say is enjoy the "unlimited" 3G data that gets throttled to dial-up speeds after 2 GB.

0 Likes
Tanooki2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am surprised that there is not a class action lawsuit yet against Verizon for violating the "grandfathered in" unlimited data.  When I signed my contract for unlimited data years ago, it did not have any clauses about voiding the contract if I wanted to upgrade to a new phone.  Period.  That didn't come about until the new Share Everything Plan was rolled out... which conveniently coincided with the unlocked ability to use your phone as a hotspot and also use FaceTime when not on WiFi.  The entire point of grandfather clauses is to preserve terms of the contract in the event of future changes.  Now they have changed the terms.  This makes me furious because I want to upgrade to the Note 2, but I do not feel I should have to pay full retail price for a phone that will be obsolete in 2 years.

0 Likes
wireyourworld
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have said I would do my research, you need not keep replying to me.

0 Likes
utbone04
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just want to know if I can really use nail polish or a sugar cube to get rid of their stupid logos from the phone.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Tanooki2 wrote:

I am surprised that there is not a class action lawsuit yet against Verizon for violating the "grandfathered in" unlimited data.  When I signed my contract for unlimited data years ago, it did not have any clauses about voiding the contract if I wanted to upgrade to a new phone.  Period.  That didn't come about until the new Share Everything Plan was rolled out... which conveniently coincided with the unlocked ability to use your phone as a hotspot and also use FaceTime when not on WiFi.  The entire point of grandfather clauses is to preserve terms of the contract in the event of future changes.  Now they have changed the terms.  This makes me furious because I want to upgrade to the Note 2, but I do not feel I should have to pay full retail price for a phone that will be obsolete in 2 years.

Do you have a written contract from Verizon Wireless that lists the unlimited data as a grandfathered clause of the contract?

Either way when you upgrade, you sign a new contract that is subject to the terms of the offer at the time of signing.  Old contracts are null and void the minute you sign a new one.

0 Likes
JeffUSPS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will also buy the Samsung Note 2. I will buy it on BLACK Friday at Verizon store. I will need to pay retail price $699 minus Black Friday discount ?.  I pay now $90 a month.  $60 for nationwide 450 min talk and unlimited tex and another $30 for unlimited Data. If I go to NEW Share Plan will cost me $80 for just 6GB of Data and another $40 a smartphone for talk and tex. So my bill go up $30 a month. $30 a month times a 2 year contract is $720 If i pay extra $400 for the Note 2 phone upfront, I save $320 over 2 years and I get to use more then 6GB of data to watch NFL Mobile, Videos, play games or listen to music.  Well I am not a Mathematician but " I DID SLEEP IN A HOLIDAY INN"  last night.  Sounds like a great deal to pay full price for phone to keep unlimited data.

0 Likes
MrNetwork
Contributor - Level 1

Here's the math for those of you deciding whether to pay full retail or not in order to keep your unlimited plan.

If the only thing you do is to give up your unlimited plan to go to a tiered data plan of 5GB which will cost you $20/month more than your current charge for unlimited data:

• $20/month extra x 24 months = $480 + $299 (cost of subsidized GN2) = $779 over the life of the contract
  • Full retail price to keep your unlimited data $699.

So there is a $80 advantage to buying full retail if you were to keep the phone for two years. Another advantage to paying full retail is you can get a new phone whenever the next best thing comes along. If you buy a new phone again at full retail for instance after a year, your resale value of the phone should be more which when subtracted from the original purchase price would further decrease your total cost of ownership.

MrNetwork
Contributor - Level 1

You beat me to it.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

21stNow wrote:

Tanooki2 wrote:

Do you have a written contract from Verizon Wireless that lists the unlimited data as a grandfathered clause of the contract?

Either way when you upgrade, you sign a new contract that is subject to the terms of the offer at the time of signing.  Old contracts are null and void the minute you sign a new one.

Besides, data isn't part of your contract.

And at the risk of repeating myself and what Brian68 said, if you choose to sign a two-year contract and get a subsidized phone, you do not have to switch to the Share Everything plan.  Unless you have an older plan, you should be able to choose a tiered data feature (i.e., $30 for 2 GB data).

0 Likes
Tanooki2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sounds like the full retail option works for you.  Don't forget to add tax on top of the $699, which is at least another $50-60 depending on your local tax rate.

My monthly bill would increase $12/month for 4GB of data, so the numbers aren't quite as favorable.  I need to think about this more though and I have plenty of time between now and 11/27.

0 Likes