Samsung Galaxy Note 4 won't stay connected to WiFi
ikesmom

I upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 just over a week ago. In that time, I have noticed that the WiFi setting randomly turns off, so then my phone uses data instead of the WiFi. It's quickly eating through my data. To prevent it from eating up anymore of my allotted data, I turned off Mobile Data. But this is not a permanent solution because I want to be able to use mobile data when I am between my WiFi networks; for example, while carpooling from home to work and back. It's a pain to have to go in and turn on mobile data, do what I need, and then remember to go back in and turn it off. This seems like a bug since it's a brand new phone (I've had it for 8 days) and it randomly turns off the WiFi.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 won't stay connected to WiFi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ikesmom, thank you for checking those setting for us. Let's resolve this. May I have you remove the sim and reinsert it into the device? Here's how http://vz.to/1AoxwD9. Then power your phone off then back on. Keep me posted on your efforts.

VanetrisC_VZW

Follow us on twitter @vzwsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for reaching out Ikesmom. Let's look into this together. Is Smart Network Switch activated? If so, please deactivate and retest. To check Settings > Wi-Fi > Menu > Advanced

Thanks
JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ikesmom

The Smart Network Switch is turned off. When I realized I was having this WiFi problem, I went into the Settings to check this and it was turned off. I have never turned it on, either.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ikesmom,

Thank you very much for checking on that! Just to confirm, does the setting for wi-fi actually turn off? Or does it just disconnect from the wi-fi network? Have we tested this with more than one wi-fi network to see if it is the same?

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes
ikesmom

The actual WiFi switch located under Apps > Settings > Wi-Fi is turning off. I have tested it on two different WiFi networks (home and work) and it does the same thing on both networks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ikesmom,

That's definitely concerning! If we go into Settings > Wi-Fi > Menu > Advanced and check "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep", what is that currently set to? Is the software on the phone up to date? http://vz.to/1zbc7s5

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes
ikesmom

The "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" setting is set to "Always." And I believe the software on the phone is up-to-date because when I go to Settings > System Updates and tap "Check for new software update" it says "Your SAMSUNG SM-N910V is up to date. Your device configuration has been updated. No update to software is necessary at this time."

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ikesmom, thank you for checking those setting for us. Let's resolve this. May I have you remove the sim and reinsert it into the device? Here's how http://vz.to/1AoxwD9. Then power your phone off then back on. Keep me posted on your efforts.

VanetrisC_VZW

Follow us on twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
ikesmom

I powered off my phone and followed the steps to remove the sim card and reinsert it, then turned my phone back on. I'll keep an eye on the WiFi to see if it stays connected.

0 Likes