Samsung Note 3 after Android 5 upgrade does not reconnect data network
cp6689

Hi,

Does any one have similar problems or have an idea?  After the "over the air" upgrade to Android 5, my Note 3 would not reconnect data network (4G, 3G, or even 1x) timely if there is a signal interruption. For example, if I lose data network due to in the tunnel or a building before I come out, my phone would just not pick up the data network again (4G, 3G, or even 1x). It is a big pain to reboot my phone because of these conditions.

Thanks for help, suggestions, or hints in advance.

/cp

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung Note 3 after Android 5 upgrade does not reconnect data network
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cp6689,

Thanks for getting back to me & your information. I truly don’t believe at this time we would need to do a factory data reset to your phone. Let’s keep digging further to get this resolved. I have my tool belt on for you! Were you able to check this for me? : Please let me know if you have the network mode set to LTE/CDMA. Please see this link for steps http://vz.to/1KPRo3N. It should be set to LTE/CDMA.

Also at this time, I would like to test your phone in what is called Safe Mode. With Safe Mode, this will disable all 3rd party apps on the phone. You will be able to use your phone for calls, texts & data as normal. Please see this link http://vz.to/1Xmndck for the steps on putting the phone in Safe Mode. While in Safe Mode, if you come above ground & the data connection doesn’t reconnect, then we know we can rule out this being a 3rd party app issue. To take the phone out of Safe Mode, you will just power the phone off normally & power it back on. Please keep me posted on your testing.

AliciaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cp6689,

Oh my! This is definitely concerning & help has arrived! Let's get you connected like you should be. You shared that this problem happened once you did the software update to the phone. How long ago did you do the software update to the phone? Do you know of other Verizon Wireless customers with Samsung phones that are having this issue? Does the data network re-connect only when you power cycle the phone?

AliciaS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
cp6689

Hi, Alicia,

I upgraded to Android 5 a while back but I did not use public transportation daily back then.  I did notice I needing reboot after the upgrade but not often enough to bug me.  I ride Metro in recent months and the ride is underground in downtown with data service only available at every stop.  I hence noticed this issue that the phone will not get reconnected even when the train gets back above ground until I reboot.

I only have one co-worker using Verizon and is an iPhone user so...

Thanks again in advance for the help.

/cp

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cp6689,

I appreciate your time with us in trying to get this resolved. From what I’m understanding is that when you are underground on this subway system that before the software update, that the data connection would reconnect automatically when at stops and/or when you got above ground. Now the data connection doesn’t even reconnect when you are back above ground, unless you restart your phone.  As we can’t  guarantee service in an underground location, I’m still willing to work harder here to see what we can figure out to get this to work again. This is so once you are above ground so that the data connection comes back without you having to power cycle the phone. Since this problem has started, have you added any new apps to your phone? Also, please let me know if you have the network mode set to LTE/CDMA. Please see this link for steps http://vz.to/1KPRo3N. It should be set to LTE/CDMA. Please let me know the progress of things.

AliciaS_VZW

0 Likes
cp6689

Alicia, sorry I had trouble log in to community. Always got to FIOS

Acct. Using phone to reply mail to this issue. I could not recall new

app install, but sure some update due to new OS. Maybe i need to reset to

factory default? How to do that without losing contact, bookmarks,

history, picture, etc? Thanks for helping in advance.

On Oct 16, 2015 1:40 PM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cp6689,

Thanks for getting back to me & your information. I truly don’t believe at this time we would need to do a factory data reset to your phone. Let’s keep digging further to get this resolved. I have my tool belt on for you! Were you able to check this for me? : Please let me know if you have the network mode set to LTE/CDMA. Please see this link for steps http://vz.to/1KPRo3N. It should be set to LTE/CDMA.

Also at this time, I would like to test your phone in what is called Safe Mode. With Safe Mode, this will disable all 3rd party apps on the phone. You will be able to use your phone for calls, texts & data as normal. Please see this link http://vz.to/1Xmndck for the steps on putting the phone in Safe Mode. While in Safe Mode, if you come above ground & the data connection doesn’t reconnect, then we know we can rule out this being a 3rd party app issue. To take the phone out of Safe Mode, you will just power the phone off normally & power it back on. Please keep me posted on your testing.

AliciaS_VZW

0 Likes