Samsung Note 3 bootloader and root locked
gbuccigr
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a, fully paid off, Verizon Samsung Note 3 that I have replaced with a newer phone still on Verizon. I want to update the Android OS and place a custom ROM on it so that I can just use the WiFi around the house. I don't intend on using it as a phone. Anyone know how to get root access and unlock the bootloader so this can be accomplished.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Samsung Note 3 bootloader and root locked
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ensuring that your device works correctly is very important. Please keep in mind that software updates for any device are received from the device's respective manufacturers.

Making changes to your device may result in its warranty being negated and we certainly don't want that for you. I recommend contacting Samsung directly before making any changes to your device. Samsung can be reached by phone at 800-726-7864 or on their website at https://www.samsung.com/us/.

I hope this helps. -Robert C.

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Note 3 bootloader and root locked
gbuccigr
Enthusiast - Level 1

Perhaps you didn't understand. The phone is very old and won't actually work on the Verizon network once they disable 3G in the near future. I have nothing on the phone that is of any importance and the Android 5 OS won't work with current apps. What is the harm in providing a means to unlock the phone since it is basically useless. I am experienced in updating devices but would wave any issues should I accidentally brick the phone. Seems Verizon could garner some good will by providing this procedure either privately or publicly. Or perhaps they could provide a mechanism to reload the entire phone with a generic non-Verizon version that could then be modified. Makes me think of how to avoid these kinds of issues moving forward rather than simply tossing the phone in the trash. Only solution I can think of is avoid a Verizon phone.

0 Likes