Samsung Note 4 rendered useless after Lollipop 5.0.1 OTA Update
nicisageek
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is unfortunate for the Samsung Note 4s.  If Verizon cannot fix my 2 - Note 4's, I have no choice, but to switch to another carrier with new phones.  My Notes 4s worked perfectly until the OTA upgrade as well.  My signal at my house now is almost non-existent and I have attempted all of the troubleshooting steps of clearing the cache partition, resetting my device, etc.  I installed a Verizon Network Extender in my house just so I can use my phones.  I will say that the iPhone 6, and Galaxy S4 work perfectly in the house.  The Note 4 seems to be the only devices having the problem. I performed another test by taking my sim card out of my Note 4 and putting it in my Note 2 and I have to say that my Note 2 has no problems with reception either.  FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!!!!!!

I have also attempting rolling the Modem drivers back to Kit Kat 4.4.4 to see if this would help, but it did not.  My phone wouldn't even boot anymore.  I have since updated the modem drivers back to Lollipop 5.0.1 and the phone is working again, but the signal is still terrible.  I lose coverage tons of times now driving on the interstate.  Calls just drop randomly and my phone shows no service for about 10 seconds and then recovers and shows 4 bars or so. 

Re: Samsung Note 4 rendered useless after Lollipop 5.0.1 OTA Update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Getting reliable service on all your devices is paramount, nicisageek. Software updates are expected to improve your experience with your phone, not diminish it. We appreciate all the troubleshooting completed on your end. There is one other option to try, as it's possible the original software loaded corruptly. This process loads a clean copy of the software to your devices. http://vz.to/1N6yVRy

LynnD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
nicisageek
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have not run the repair utility on either of my Note 4's, but I can try this as well.  I just find it odd that both of my Note 4's would have gotten the OTA update and both would be corrupted.  Both phones act exactly the same with the signal strength and dropping of calls.  I have been a proud customer of Verizon for some time, but now I question what is going on.  I've been with AT&T, Sprint, Cingular, T-Mobile, and Suncom.  I switched to Verizon, costing me about 100 more a month, so that I could get consistent service and reliable service.  I like the Note 4's, but this update really has me concerned for my future business with Verizon.  If I want poor service, I can switch to Sprint, and save over 100 dollars a month and also get 40gb of data vs. 15gb that I currently have.

0 Likes
nicisageek
Enthusiast - Level 3

Alright, I performed the steps mentioned at the following link: Repair Assistant Software Upgrade Assistant (Samsung) | Verizon Wireless.  This did not resolve my reception problems on my phone. 

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

nicisageek, have you read any of the other threads regarding Lollipop and updating software?

It is always suggested that a major upgrade is performed as a clean install. This requires factory resets to your device. Lollipop is built differently than KitKat and thus it is not recommended overwriting the software.

Snn5, can you post your instructions for how to accomplish this?

nicisageek
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have done a factory reset on both devices and this didn't help any at all either.  Should I restore my phone to Kit Kat 4.4.4, perform a factory reset and then apply the OTA update to Lollipop? 

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

We cannot advise on that since it is not an official method.  Some say Kies and Odin are within warranty measure, but we cannot discuss those options here.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Yes, the gist is to FDR WITHOUT restoring apps and app data.  Even FDR one more time immediately for good measure and then let the phone discharge the battery until it turns off, then leave off and recharge overnight.  The reason were that the old Dalvik runtime apps didn't optimize to the new ART runtime format.

0 Likes
nicisageek
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't understand how "the old Dalvik runtime apps didn't optimize to the new ART runtime format"would have to do with an OS update of the core OS files.  There isn't optimization of the drivers within the update that I am aware of. I believe these are completely replaced with the OTA update.  I can understand other non OS related applications experiencing this sort of issue, but not core device drivers that are replaced that are indeed built for this new version, 5.0.1. 

I performed a factory reset on the device again with version 5.0.1, let the battery die on the device, and charged it overnight with the phone in the off state.  So far this hasn't helped at all.

I also have to ask why Lollipop 5.0 would have been sent out as an OTA upgrade if it ins't recommended as an upgrade?  If it is recommended as a standalone, then why wasn't it published this way to the consumer?  Besides, it looks like something needs to be resolved in this version for the modem drivers, etc to fix the problem.  I haven't seen any success stories with troubleshooting 5.0.1 on any of the other blogs.  This is happening to 10000's of people and everybody is getting the run around about wiping the phone 3x, etc.  When is this going to be resolved / and or actually patched / fixed.  The troubleshooting methods are only buying Verizon a little bit of time.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Can't speak for Samsung on this one.  Motos and LGs did just dandy after the update with much fewer issues needing FDRs and such to resolve the problems.  Thinking it is more on Samsung given that.

0 Likes