Samsung Note3 update issues
netbabeusa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Several times a day for the last few days on my Samsung Galaxy Note3 a software update keeps popping out on the screen constantly and it's annoying.  I don't want the update and have tried turning off, which can't be done.  I've finally given in and tried to install. Three times now and it will not install (great don't want it anyway), but the annoying update message continues.  Aargh. How do I turn it off for good or install the update which I know will break everything anyway.

Message was edited by: netty babe

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Note3 update issues
saraho_vzw
Verizon Employee

Netbabeusa,

Oh boy! I can see where getting that notification would be annoying. However, on Android devices, you do have to perform the software update, there is not a way to turn it off. When you try to install it, what happens? Do you get an error? Please provide some additional details so that we can assist further. Thank you.

ErinW_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
netbabeusa
Enthusiast - Level 2

I attempt an update, the device reboots, then message to the effect sorry but update is unable to install.  Cycle starts again.  The update did it this morning unprompted and in so doing turned my alarm off.  So I am in a catch 22.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

netbabeusa,

Software updates are designed to help your phone. Were you able to install the update as recommended? Are you attempting to do this over wifi or cellular data?

RobinD_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

This happened on a Samsung Stellar I had.  I even got VZW to replace it.  Still wouldn't update.  Tried Samsung Kies, and it failed there as well.  I'd like to hear the resolution to these Samsung update failures.

0 Likes
netbabeusa
Enthusiast - Level 2

I work as a software developer, so fully understand the various reasons for updates.  That is not my issue or question.  I am not sure where this is unclear.  So to clarify - Even though I do not want the update, I HAVE ATTEMPTED to allow the install.  When I do the device reboots to a message that the install has failed.  After failed attempts, the cycle begins again with the nagware to install.  I have attempted the update over wifi and data, makes no difference, the install fails.  The device is fully charged, and in fact plugged up several times during the attempt.  This morning I did not approve an install attempt, but the device attempted anyway, rebooting the phone.  The cell was in the middle of my alarm cycle, and the unapproved attempt turned the alarm off.  If I had not been awake and witnessed the reboot and the subsequent fail to install message, I would not have known anything happened, and would have been late to work, since the alarm function was discontinued in the forced reboot.