Turning off Wi-Fi causes phone to restart.
rjenkinsjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

After the latest security update, turning off Wi-Fi causes my Note 8 to restart.  It is not related to an app because it also does it in safe mode. I have done everything but a hard reset.

0 Likes
Re: Turning off Wi-Fi causes phone to restart.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure you have a working device. Is your device still turning off when you turn off Wi-Fi? Has there been any new updates? If the issue is persisting, we do recommend attempting a Factory Reset. Here is a link on how to do this step, https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-214149/.

JavierMD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
rjenkinsjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, if I use the option to toggle Wi-Fi from the pull down shortcuts or if I go into the device configuration, select Connections and toggle it there the phone will reboot.

This started after the latest update that Verizon sent out.

One interesting side note...I use an app called Smart Wi-Fi Toggle that will turn Wi-Fi on/off depending on the area I am in and this program is able to turn Wi-Fi on/off without any issue.  So it appears that problem is with the system applications that provide users with the ability to turn Wi-Fi on/off.  Other radio functions such as Bluetooth are not affected.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate the additional information provided and all of your troubleshooting efforts rjenkinsjr. I was able to verify the difficulties you are experiencing is not a known issue with your device after the software update. I understand you also have a third party app that will turn WiFi on/off depending on the connection. The Samsung Note 8 also has a very similar feature built into the device. You have the option to enable Switch to mobile data. This will enable mobile data in the event you are connected to a weak Wi-Fi network. To enable this feature you may tap on settings<Wi-Fi<tap on the three vertical dots at the top right<advanced<switch to mobile data (green) on. 

Can you try removing the Smart Wi-Fi Toggle app from the device and test your WiFi? This will help us determine if the app is no longer compatible with the device after the recent software update causing the device to malfunction. 

Thank You,

Michelle_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
cinnamontear

I have the same issue and no secondary apps installed.

0 Likes
rjenkinsjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried removing the app as a test, that is how I found it could toggle it on/off without causing a reset.  Keep in mind, I did also test in safe mode and the issue continued.  It is like the issue is with Samsung's provided access to toggle Wi-Fi.  Other apps that access the ability to toggle Wi-Fi do not seem to cause the restart.

In addition this is not a normal restart.  The screen freezes, then turns black, and next it displays the green/blue circle around a lock (encryption), before the main screen finally comes up.  This process take half the time of a normal restart.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the additional information. Were you able to complete a Factory Reset? If not, please attempt one; we recommend turning off Automatic Restore to ensure you can test it as a new device. Has there been any new updates available for your device? You can try using our Software Repair tool to see if it helps. Find out how by following this link, https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-80201/.

JavierMD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for your efforts rjenkinsjr. The next steps will involve accessing your account. I have sent you a Private Message to begin.

Rosanne_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes