Undo Note 7 purchase with trade-in
Stephen_Nelson
Enthusiast - Level 2

I traded my Galaxy S5 and got the Note 7.  They gave me $70 for my S5.   Now that I have to return my Note 7, I want to go back to the S5.   I understand they can't get my exact phone back,  but why can't they give me another S5 for $70? That at least gets me close to even.

I only upgraded to get the Note 7, was otherwise fine with the S5.   I really don't want to pay full retail to fix Samsung's problem or take my chances buying on ebay or Craigslist.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Undo Note 7 purchase with trade-in
pherson
Champion - Level 1

You have no choice. Once you do the trade in, you cannot get the phone back nor can you have an "manufacturer defect" allow you to get that phone again. Also your phone was extremely used. That's why and how you only got 70 bucks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

You have no choice. Once you do the trade in, you cannot get the phone back nor can you have an "manufacturer defect" allow you to get that phone again. Also your phone was extremely used. That's why and how you only got 70 bucks.

0 Likes
Stephen_Nelson
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow, so you're doing the phone inspections now?  Nice to know.  As for it being extremely used, it lived its entire life in a case with a tempered glass screen protector.  It didn't even have wear marks from the case.  $70 was the max Verizon was offering at the time.

I understand I have no choice now and I could have got more selling it myself.  The point is that I had a perfectly fine S5 that I only traded in because I was getting the Note 7.  Now Verizon wants $312 for the phone they gave me $70 for.  I'm not really bashing Verizon on that point, but it would be nice if they offered some discount based on the situation.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

No.

common sense does the inspection. It doesn't matter if it's in a case or not, used is used. Maybe in the future you should keep your old phones. That's what the majority of us do.

0 Likes
Stephen_Nelson
Enthusiast - Level 2

You'll have to excuse my misunderstanding pherson.  You sounded so knowledgeable and authoritative I was sure you must have done the inspection yourself.

So to recap your contributions to this thread: 1) your phone was used, 2) condition doesn't matter "used is used" and  3) keep your old phones.  Does that about sum it up?

If only we could get that level of "help" from Verizon, but hey, at least you responded.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

Well see here is the thing: this forum is not a direct contact method to customer support. This is a peer to peer customer based forum. So no, I would not have done your inspection; however as was mentioned your device was used. Or if you prefer, the value depreciated. I hope that helps your misunderstanding; or rather, salty sarcasm.

Best wishes.

0 Likes
srisque
Enthusiast - Level 3

a billion applauds to pherson for his incredible helpful comments, again \s. 

Note7
Enthusiast - Level 2

I traded in a Note 4 and got 200 bucks for it.  It was just about perfect condition.  Really should have kept it.  What's funny is it didn't cover the cost of the taxes that day.  The 200 went towards a future bill.  So even though I gave them a phone, I still ended up paying money to get out of the store, and now I can't get that money back. 

Anyways, I understand where you are coming from Stephen.

srisque
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am curious , have you seen any credit for that trade in post yet?(may be too early)

Was you trade in fully owned?

What were the conditions of your trade in? (2 year contract, 3 month service min, etc... ? )

0 Likes
Stephen_Nelson
Enthusiast - Level 2

My trade in was paid off and I bought the N7 under the 2 year contract option.  

So far only the 25 dollar credit from Samsung.  I can't even get them to ship me a return box.

0 Likes