Re: Unlocked Note 20 Ultra no 5G option
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

xldaverx, I know how important software updates are to your phone. Our goal is to make sure you device stays up to date and performs optimally. However, please keep in mind that we are not the software developer and that the manufacturers send us the updates for the devices. The link below provides details about the most current software update for that device. Does this help?

http://spr.ly/6604G7Mrn

0 Likes
dejanl
Enthusiast - Level 3

That page provides information for Verizon version on Note 20 Ultra, not for unlocked version. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Where are you attempting to use your device? Also what is the current software that you have?

0 Likes
dejanl
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am using at in Florida.

Software version: QP1A.190711.020.N986U1UES1ATID

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for your interest in our 5G network. We currently do not have information as to when or if this update will be available for these type of devices. We recommend contacting the phone manufacturer for further assistance. Thank you! - ChristianP_VZW 

0 Likes
dejanl
Enthusiast - Level 3

Fallow this guide if you want to enable nationwide 5G on unlocked Note 20 Ultra: 

Service Mode Guide

Access Service Mode

To access service mode screen, first download the Google Phone App from the Play Store (Phone by Google-Caller ID & Spam Protection is the official Play Store Name)

After installing the phone app, open it up and select set as default *Note* You will only need the Google phone app to access service mode-Once all the changes are made you can keep using it or change back to what you were using*

Another pop-up will show and select the Phone (blue icon) and set as default. Go to the dial pad icon in the bottom right corner and dial the following:

*#*#27663368378#*#*
When you dial the last * in the string above, the service mode menu will automatically show. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO HIT THE CALL ICON BUTTON TO MAKE A CALL AT ANY POINT.

Enable all LTE and 5G Bands
*NOTE* Remember whenever navigating through the menus that the android back button on your device will automatically exit you back to the dialer. To go back, you must use the 3 dots menu at the top and select Back.

To enable all the LTE Bands go to:
1-Option 2-UE Setting and Info
2-Option 1-Setting
3-Option 2-System
4-Option 9-Next Page
5-Option 9-Next Page
6-Option 9-Next Page
7-Option 9-Next Page
8-Option 1-Set LTE Band Config
9-Option 1-Set Default LTE Band

This should enable all the LTE Bands for the country that the firmware installed is from and the available roaming bands that are set in the firmware.

For the 5G Bands go back (using the 3 dots in the top) until you see UE setting menu and the 2 options for Protocol and System then:
1-Option 1-Protocol
2-Option 9-NR5G
4-Option 3-NR5G Prune Status
Here you will see a [1] Remove NR5G PRUNE option as the last line. Select that option. If you visit this menu later, it will show a * next to NR5G PRUNE is Removed and the option will change to [1] Restore NR5G PRUNE, in case you want to go back.

Enable DSS

Now that all the bands are enabled, you have to enable the DSS setting. Get back to UE SETTING MENU with Protocol and System options and:
1-Option 1-Protocol
2-Option 1-AS
3-Option 9-Next Page
4-Option 9-Next Page
5-Option 2-NR DSS CONTROL
6-Option 1-NR DSS ENABLE

Just reboot the phone after this and this should be all that is needed to enable all LTE and 5G Bands and DSS!

I found this on XDA forum. It works, I just did it on my Note 20 Ultra.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for clarifying, dejanl. May we also ask that you confirm your city? This will let us confirm if 5G Nationwide is available in your area.

LorenzoP_VZW

0 Likes
CLanford
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for this, dejanl!!! I just encountered the same problem on my unlocked Note20 Ultra and this procedure worked. 

However, my phone is now showing that it's connected to 5G but speed tests are displaying 4G speeds. I have a 5 bar connection, and am living in the Charlotte, NC area where I know there is good 5G.

Any ideas why?

0 Likes
Sly83
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks dejanl for the info. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to look on XDA. I filled the steps and they worked perfectly. Its kinda weird that buying an unlocked phone gets you the second rate treatment 😅

0 Likes
tzabludowski

Hi I did these steps but I feel like it actually slowed down my data is that possible?  Also how do I put it back to the original settings?

0 Likes