Re: Unlocked Note 20 Ultra no 5G option
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure we're on the same page. Can you clarify your question about what VZW is doing in regard to the iPhone?

0 Likes
telveer
Contributor - Level 1

Please stop with the dmb canned responses. Samsung Note 20 Ultra Unlocked US Version is 5G capable. Verizon needs to moves off its lazy butt and work with Samsung to make it work. What a shame. This is the type of complacent sh1t that destroys companies.

WF71

Agreed. It's November 24th and still no update for my Unlocked Note 20 5G/SMN981U1 to enable n2,n5,or n66(sub-6 'Nationwide 5G'). I have a new SIM that came with my Note 10+ 5G. 

0 Likes
JaganS

Hi TMichaelU28, I cant perform *#272*IMEI## from dialer - it automatically goes to dialing and connecting to call - please help.

0 Likes
Bobsacto
Enthusiast - Level 3

Received the Beta UI 3.0/Android 11 update from Samsung last night and the 5G now works on my Samsung-purchased unlocked Note 20 Ultra. I realize the frustration many feel not getting 5G. While it is theoretically possible Verizon has asked Samsung not to push an update it is just as possible that Samsung decided not to push a separate 5G update since the stable release of the UI/Android update is supposedly close. What does seem to be clear is that Verizon isn't looking at a phone's IMEI and blocking an unlocked phone from receiving the 5G signal.

TyNote205G

Thank you so much fixed my 5g

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Bravoluis3, we don't release updates for devices. We don't own any rights to iPhones, Samsung, LG or etc. You can contact Samsung to see what they have to say about their update. However, we don't control any type of updates that get passed to your device. This would be the manufactures decision. We would be saddened if you left but please keep this information in mind before making any drastic changes. TaylorH_VZW

0 Likes
jzp
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks you Bobsacto, I upgraded my Unlocked Note 20 Ultra 5G phone to Beta UI 3.0/Android 11 last night (25 Nov 20) and now my phone shows 5G when in an area that has it.  Note that before the upgrade to the Beta versions my phone did work and indicate 5G UW when available. Another comment, in the Mobile networks settings > Network mode settings I have Global selected.  The other two choices are LTE / CDMA and LTE /GSM /UMTS.  Note that 5G is not listed.  I have seen elsewhere that phones on other carriers have 5G as one of the choices.  I am not sure if that is true with Verizon.  When I initially went to my local Verizon store to get a new 5G capable SIM I was shown a Verizon branded Note 20 5G and it had the same choices that mine has (i.e no 5G listed) but it also indicated that it was connected to a 5G network.

Now a comment about the Verizon support staff who tried to help in this forum. While I appreciate that they are trying to help, it is as if they never heard that Samsung sells an unlocked phone (in the US specifically geared to the US market) directly to the consumer. If you told them "I went to the Apple Store to buy my iPhone" they wouldn't bat an eye but tell them you bought your Samsung phone directly from Samsung and they lose it. It also seems as if they never read through comments, each time it looks like they start from scratch without any understanding of the problem and then use canned responses. I am almost of the opinion that that is worse than commenting at all.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand your frustration, but each carrier has its own set of network specifications that make devices work 100% on the network. If the phone is an unlocked phone, it is set for general specifications, but not carrier specific specifications. This means that some functions may or may not work. I have experienced this myself as I cannot do Wi-Fi calling because my manufacturer unlocked phone will not support it. We are hoping that Samsung will push out a software update that will fix some of these issues and we are waiting on the software push for most Note 20s to come out this month to ensure 5G works. I hope this will help your device as well. - ErichC_VZW

0 Likes
Bobsacto
Enthusiast - Level 3

Some have reported that they had trouble with Verizon low band 5G and wished they could turn the 5g off and go with 4G LTE. But as was stated there is no way to turn off the 5G signal unlike in the past you could select 3G or 4G heck even 2G when it was around. I wonder if those having the issue are ones that used such techniques as dialing special series of numbers and letters or going deep into settings and changing all kinds of stuff. In my house I don't have a super strong cell signal and the phone sometimes switches back and forth between 4G and 5G. It does this seamlessly. I wonder when you use the actual stuff Samsung wrote to turn on 5G it just works better than some end-around to get 5G going. 

I was was with my son for Thanksgiving and he has a strong cell signal. Got close to 200 Mbps on the 5G low band connection there, the closest UWB 5G is 100 miles from here. 4G in my house is 35 Mbps on a good day.

0 Likes