Re: Updating My Note II
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Your question was explicitly answered by both Ann and the Verizon rep.

The device MUST be active in order to get the update.

That's the answer.

Alpine725

Me (from original post) - "Is there a way I can download and apply the updates without taking it OTA?"

Ann (later in the thread) - "To get the update via OTA, the phone needs to be on an active Verizon Wireless line."

VTS (agreeing with Ann) - "If the device is not tied to our network, we are unable to push an update."

The above lines were copied from different entries...you see...my question was not answered! While I can appreciate your input, ttipgem, your comment indicates you did not read my original post.

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

The answer to the question is no.

The device must be active.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Alpine725 wrote:

Me (from original post) - "Is there a way I can download and apply the updates without taking it OTA?"

Ann (later in the thread) - "To get the update via OTA, the phone needs to be on an active Verizon Wireless line."

VTS (agreeing with Ann) - "If the device is not tied to our network, we are unable to push an update."

The above lines were copied from different entries...you see...my question was not answered!  While I can appreciate your input, ttipgem, your comment indicates you did not read my original post.

Did you read the other half of my posts? Here, I'll copy and paste it again for you.

"You might be able to get the Software Upgrade Assistant to update it when the phone is connected to a computer, but it might not work either."

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Alpine725

Ann,

My apologies, when I first read your post, I was not at or near my computer and tried convincing myself that I was going to look into the Upgrade Assistant option but by the time I got to my computer I had forgotten about it. So, thank you for redirecting my attention to it.

The other part of my original post questioned the pros ans cons of updating - I like some of the features the latest update has to offer but if it is going to malfunction like some of the other users are reporting then is it really worth it?

Thanks again...

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry we didn't answer the question Alpine725. If the device isn't tied to our network, meaning, if it doesn't have an active SIM card, it cannot get any update. Even if its over WiFi. This can only be done if its connected to our network. Cellular Data won't work if it doesn't have a SIM card. This is why you haven't been able to get the update.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes