Updating My Note II
Alpine725

Well, I have had my Note II for just shy of a year and it is still on VRALJB - or the initial release of Note II software.  I do have WiFi on but NOT mobile data and at this time I do not have any intention of inserting a SIM Card in order to turn on mobile data.  Although the directions on the VZW Support say that WiFi is recommended, it says nothing about needing to have mobile data on.  When I try to update my Note II, I am continually told that service is unavailable - even though WiFi is on.

How do I get the updates?  What are the pros and cons of updating?  I am reading that updating kills the WiFi radio (several users have had to return their devices for a replacement), has this been fixed?  What caused the issues?  Is there a way I can download and apply the updates without taking it OTA?

Is my only option for updating my device to seek a third party solution?

Thanks in advance...

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Updating My Note II
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry we didn't answer the question Alpine725. If the device isn't tied to our network, meaning, if it doesn't have an active SIM card, it cannot get any update. Even if its over WiFi. This can only be done if its connected to our network. Cellular Data won't work if it doesn't have a SIM card. This is why you haven't been able to get the update.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there Alpine725!

We certainly want you to get up to date with the most current software available. Let's check this out together! First, here are the steps on how to complete it normally: http://vz.to/19D8d38

Now if you're having difficulties, your device may be experiencing a system glitch. I would first attempt placing the phone in safe mode: http://vz.to/17FJ5Tj and try the update in safe mode. If it's still not working, I would recommend a hard reset: http://vz.to/15qEIvu

Please keep us posted!

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Alpine725

Good day Melissa...

None of the links you sent were helpful. Of the 3, only the first one brought me somewhere - the support page on how to get the updates OTA. If I hadn't mentiined my inability to get OTA updates in my initial post, that first link may have been useful.

The next 2 links brought me to an empty page (not blank but no information on the page). Granted, I was on my Note II when I tried navigating to them but I would like to think that as a mobile device company, the mobile site would have the same information as the desktop site.

What else do you have? How about a location where I can download the updates? They have to exist...you send them out OTA, supposedly over WiFi but I am yet to see proof of that.

I look forward to hearing from you again...

JT

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

0 Likes
brentwoodperson
Enthusiast - Level 3

If i am on wifi with my sim card in I don't get charged for using data. Have you tried google?

0 Likes
Alpine725

Thanks for the reply, brentwoodperson.

This Note II has never seen a SIM card nor has it ever been activated. Only ever used it on WiFi.

I did Google the updates for the Note II. When I got tired of sifting through the links for rooting and/or unlocking it, I decided to go out on a limb in hopes that one of the Verizon "techs" would try to talk me out of rooting/unlocking by actually being helpful.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Alpine725 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, brentwoodperson.

This Note II has never seen a SIM card nor has it ever been activated. Only ever used it on WiFi.

I did Google the updates for the Note II. When I got tired of sifting through the links for rooting and/or unlocking it, I decided to go out on a limb in hopes that one of the Verizon "techs" would try to talk me out of rooting/unlocking by actually being helpful.

To get the update via OTA, the phone needs to be on an active Verizon Wireless line. You might be able to get the Software Upgrade Assistant to update it when the phone is connected to a computer, but it might not work either.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm surprised you had trouble with the links, Alpine725. They worked perfect on our end. I have provided the instructions on how to place the device in Safe Mode and how to complete a hard reset below;

Safe Mode:

Enable Safe Mode
  • Ensure the device is powered off.
  • To power off, press and hold the Power button (located on the right edge).
  • Select Power off.
  • Select OK.
Allow several seconds for the device to power off.
  • Press and hold the Power button until the Samsung logo appears then release.
  • With the Samsung logo on screen, press and hold the Volume down key.
  • Continue to hold the Volume down key until Safe mode appears in the lower left of the screen then release.

Disable Safe Mode:
  • Press and hold the Power button.
  • Select Power off.
  • Select OK.
Allow several seconds for the device to power off.
  • Press and hold the Power button until the Samsung logo appears then release.

If you continue to run into an issue with the update after placing the device in Safe Mode we suggest completing a hard reset. Performing a hard reset removes all data including the Google account, system data, app data, app settings, and downloaded app.  Pictures, videos and music are also be removed. It's recommended to backup this data.

Hard Reset:

• From a home screen, select Apps (located at the bottom).
  • From the Apps tab, select Settings.
  • Select Back up and reset.
  • Select Factory data reset.
  • Select Reset phone.
If presented, enter the current passcode or draw the unlock pattern.
  • Select Erase everything.
Allow several minutes for the factory data reset and reboot processes to complete.
  • Initial Activation and Setup.

0 Likes
Alpine725

I am not sure why the links did not work...as i said, may be because I was using a mobile device.

I am prepared to try the safe mode update, however, unless you can assure me that I will not lose any of my downloaded apps, app data or other personal data (photos, music, contacts, etc...), I am not prepared to do the hard reset.

If you are thinking about telling me to backup my device and then do the reset, you better be prepared to provide me with an app that will back everything up. The fact that I am not able to get the updates is a problem on your (Verizon's) end or with the device itself.

Do you have any other way to get the updates other than the Over The Air method?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the info Alpine. Safe mode will not erase any data, but as Ann154 stated, the device does need to be active in order to receive the update. If the device is not tied to our network, we are unable to push an update.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Alpine725

Thanks for the reply...

I understand the need to have the device "Active" to receive the OTA updates, however, if you look back, I have asked more than once if there was a way to download and apply the updates WITHOUT getting them OTA?

So, one last time (for the Verizon "technical support") - Is there a way to get the updates without inserting a SIM card (I lost the one I got with the phone)? I have tried turning the cellular radio on (turned off airplane mode) and still no dice. If a file is sent over the air, it can be downloaded on a computer (or other mobile device with an internet connection). What is the reason you keep skirting around my question?

Thanks...

0 Likes