Re: Verizon Upgrade Assistant
Maliceful
Enthusiast - Level 3

It did not solve the issue but I think that the file for the upgrade assistant on my device is the issue.  I am attempting to find a download link for an alternative source of the assistant.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi reron,

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with your device. We would be delighted to see what we can do to help. How long has this occured on your device? How many times does this message pop up? Please keep us posted, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
re-ron

Twice this month.  There is no audit information at all so I can't tell what it is doing,  The files must be large though because I have a 3mb internet connection and it takes over 5 minutes to download when it occurs.  It just shows a little box in the lower right of my screen and shows the downloading progress then it disappears when done.  Never shows any install progress.  When I plug the phone in to USB, it just always says it is up to date.  Anyway of telling where these files are?  I want to clean out these large files if they still exist.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand how this is frustrating re-on. Do you have your emails being pushed to your device? If so, do you click on attachments and files when reading emails? If the files are being downloaded to your device they may be transferring to your computer. Do you have any files in your downloaded icon?

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for thr update Maliceful. We want to make sure that we exchaust all options in order to get this working for you. May I ask did you perform a factory reset on the device? If not then here's a link on how to do so, http://vz.to/1d2FCr6. As always, we suggest that you backup your personal information prior to performing the reset. If you have already performed the reset then what was the results once you have tested the service? As you share the details then we can proceed with discovering a solution. I'm looking forward to your reply.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
re-ron

No I do not push emails.  I do not see any files in the download directory for this.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your patience is very much appreciatd re-ron. We want to exhaust all options to get this resolved for you. As requested by my co-worker from another community member, may I have you provide the software, baseband, and build number that you have. Are you using the default messaging app or a third party app? If you are using a third party app then please advise of the name of the app. I would suggest checking the memory card to see if the downloaded content is there and keep us posted.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Tomorrowschild

I just perused the whole thread on Veriszon Upgrade Assistant after experiencing exactly the same problem identified in the original post.  I'm running Windows 7 X64 Home Premium on a two year old Acer All In One desktop.  I ran into trouble using Samsung's KIES software to perform the multiple updates released since September for my new Samsung Galaxy IV because Samsung decided to have multiple versions of KIES running to service different releases of their Android operating system.  The first upgrade made KIES 2.6 tell me it could not service my phone, and led me to KIES 3 so I had two versions of the software because Samsung didn't design the process of software updating appropriately, that is, a new version of their software should supplant/replace/remove the old software when it installs.  My wife "held off" on updating her phone, so finally, I convinced her it needed to be done when yet another version came out.  By this time, I'd installed the Upgrade Assistant from Verizon and it was notifying me of a pending download.  I used KIES 3.0 to upgrade my phone and then tried to figure out what was going on with the Upgrade Assistant which started downloading a large package every time I rebooted my computer even though I'd already used it to install the latest on my phone.  From my perspective as a software developer who started working in the field in 1962-3 and retired about eight years ago, Samsung has its head up its' collective ass, and so does Verizon for depending on those folks!

My personal solution to the "problem" was to use Windows to completely remove both KIES and the Upgrade Assistant from my main computer, and to leave an install of KIES on an old Windows XP based portable where I could occasionally use the software to check our phones without running into the fact that Samsung engineers do not fully understand Windows file permissions and have decided that one instance of their software is therefore required for each "User" on a multi-user Windows 7 configuration, etc., etc.

When/If I notice that our phones need to be upgraded again, I may download the probably "newer" version of support software just to do the upgrades and then remove it again.  Frankly  Both Verizon and Samsung would do their customers a big favor if they invested a little more in software QA and Testing, and brought in a team to review and improve their software development and life cycle planning.

0 Likes
re-ron

I am not using any 3rd party stuff.  I pretty much have the same system as tomorrowschild's and agree with the post made on 12.14.  I have un-installed it all. Will the phone let me know when it needs an upgrade.  This REALLY makes me miss my Iphone which never needed all this external stuff to upgrade.

0 Likes