Voluntary exchange program will soon become official recall
sztheday2006
Enthusiast - Level 3

According to several credible sources, the voluntary exchange program on the Galaxy Note 7 will very soon become an official product recall regulated by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission. I realize this opens up a whole different discussion regarding the device and how soon a replacement may become available but that looks to potentially be a much lengthier process now that the Feds are involved and working directly with Samsung. Below are several articles recently posted from CNN, Gizmado and the Wall Street Journal regarding the issue. Looks like we may have a longer than previously thought wait, folks.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/samsung-galaxy-note-7-users-should-stop-using-charging-devices-cpsc-says...       2 minutes ago

http://gizmodo.com/feds-finally-issue-warning-on-exploding-samsung-note-7s-1786452569       28 minutes ago

http://www.cnet.com/news/feds-will-formally-recall-samsung-galaxy-note-7/   2 hrs ago

Samsung has also revised their statement on the Exchange Page as on today's date.

Updated – Sept. 9 2016

Announcement

In response to our recent announcement regarding battery cell issues with the Galaxy Note7, we are advising that you power down your Note7 and exchange it now, as part of our U.S. Product Exchange Program for all Galaxy Note7 owners. We strongly advise all customers to use this exchange program because your safety is our top priority. Additional sales and shipments of the affected devices have been stopped, but if you already have a Galaxy Note7, we strongly advise that you replace it.

Through the U.S. Note7 Exchange Program, you can:

1. Exchange current Galaxy Note7 device with a new Galaxy Note7 (pending CPSC approval). Until time of approval, select carrier and retail outlets will provide customers, who prefer a replacement Note7, with a Samsung J Series loaner phone to use until new Note7s are available.
  2. Exchange current Galaxy Note7 for a Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge and replacement of any Note7 specific accessories with a refund of the price difference between devices.

We know this exchange is an inconvenience, so you will also receive a $25 gift card, in-store credit or bill credit from select carrier retail outlets when participating in the U.S. Note7 Exchange Program.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Voluntary exchange program will soon become official recall
Dresdens
Enthusiast - Level 3

It will be interesting to see if Verizon is one of those 'select carriers' who will provide their customers with a loaner phone.  I think not.  Too bad because the Note was my first and only choice for my phone upgrade. I have never wanted an iPhone but that could end up being the direction I go if I cannot get a new Note 7.

rcschnoor
Legend

Dresdens wrote:

It will be interesting to see if Verizon is one of those 'select carriers' who will provide their customers with a loaner phone. I think not. Too bad because the Note was my first and only choice for my phone upgrade. I have never wanted an iPhone but that could end up being the direction I go if I cannot get a new Note 7.

Better yet, it will be interesting how many Note 7 users would actually accept that Samsung J Series loaner phone or be angry if they receive a loaner of anything less than a Galaxy S7 Edge as a loaner.

With some of the comments, I think many would think it an insult to be offered a J Series phone until the Note 7's are available.

0 Likes
lonestar614
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's a loaner phone, no different than when a car dealership offers you a loaner car or a rental while they fix the recall problem on your car. I don't see why anyone would be insulted in being offered a J Series phone until the new Note7's are in stock. The only problem I see is that our carrier doesn't seem to be participating in this loaner program

DCF123
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'd be fine with a loaner - only problem is that the J3V is listed as online-only, not shipping until 10/4. Thanks Verizon.

lonestar614
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, unfortunately they wouldn't have the stock of J phones available. No one foresaw this recall coming, and I don't think they tend to put a lot of budget handsets out there on a normal basis. The replacements Note7s will be here before they have a comparable amount of the J3Vs available.

0 Likes
KELFINK
Enthusiast - Level 3

This makes sense that they wouldn't have any in stock - didn't think of that but it makes total sense.  The J series isn't one I had even heard of before the email I received from Samsung about this process.

I'm fine with a loaner in any capacity, I wouldn't even complain even if it was an old flip phone (not sure why anyone would be "offended" by this option) - as long as I know that they will easily take it back for a new Note7 whenever this whole federal process wraps up.  I am assuming it will take a while.  Sure, getting an S7 in the meantime would be wonderful but I totally get why that would not be the case.  No big deal.

I'm on hold with Verizon currently to see what the process is of getting the loaner or if the are even offering this option...

KELFINK
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just got off the phone with Verizon - they said if we take our Note7's to a store they will give us the loaner.  This must be done before 9/30.  After that, we will be notified when new Note7's are available and we can exchange our loaner for them.  She didn't seem to think that having these loaners in stores would be an issue but I'd imagine I'll have to call my local store to get the scoop on that.

Maybe them posting online that they are not shipping until after October is their way of pushing us to the physical stores for this exchange?

I imagine we'll head to a store sometime in the next week - since I ordered the phones originally online, and was with Sprint prior to getting the Note7 I'll have to do a little research to figure out what ones we have close to us.

0 Likes
Aulwesjo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Let us know what they tell you. I just switched to Verizon a few weeks ago so I don't have a backup. (I don't have time to go to Verizon today) Last time I visited the store they told me there's nothing to worry about just call customer service and they can provide more information.

0 Likes
debbietoo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not all Verizon Coorporate stores are equal. Here is the lastest scope. We went to the store that we get the best customer service. I was so frustrated when I left, that my son suggested we go to the other coorporate store. All I can say is, that gal at the first store, didn't know what she was talking about.

When we got to the second store, they knew exactly what needed to be done. They actually read the email to us, as to what they were to do, dated 9/2/16. They said originally, they were told that we had to go thru Samsung to get the replacement (that's what we were told at the first store this morning). They said what their Samsung Rep has them doing now is, exchanging the phones temporarily for a S-7, S-7 Edge or Note 5. We will be able to exchange back to the Note 7 as soon as they get them in. We will be getting an email and text message from Verizon as soon as they are available. So, we walked out of that store, with the exchange. The restocking fees were waved and will continue to be waived. They replaced the screen savers and the cases so everything fits our S-7. We did not exchange out the chargers since we only use wireless chargers in our house and we have plenty of extra car chargers to fit the S-7. They did not know the exact date as to when the new Note 7 will be delivered but until then, we are considered temporarily using the S-7.

My son was concerned about the Note 7 after he discovered his phone was way hotter than normal, last night. He works the night shift and had checked on his phone during his break and found it hot, even though it was not hooked up to any charging system. He's sure it was due to the car being warm but at that point, he didn't think he should take anymore chances, so he had to power his phone off. Needless to say, he was very willing to spend the morning resolving the Note 7 issue. Now he can get some sleep, with peace of mind.

0 Likes